• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Here is my theory: He sign's with Infinite (really a back room deal with Innova) where he has Infinite's first player line of discs...rebranded old Innova molds sold as DM (dark rebel, power disc, mid disc, etc)...required to carry those molds maybe 5-8 and an otherwise open bag cuz Infinite. He gets a sizable % of all the disc sales in his line. (similar to the discraft PM deal)

Who could offer Simon the most earning potential, creativity, freedom, security, & convenience? Does Lone Star have their own aircraft?

I throw exactly zero Discmania molds. Simon is the only pro I watch on YT.

Simon seems like a genuine nicer than nice dude. I'm a fan. Disc golf is better with Simon involved. DM and Simon did that about as classy as could be done. :clap:

Does Simon "own" the Lizotte and "SL" logo?

I bet Simon will get to design a few discs. . wonder what he will come up with
And what will be his new "skygod" nickname will be

I´m surprised that we dont have any "spy shots" of his new discs. . he HAS to have been out at Maple Hill and thrown his new sponsors discs by now?!?

Does Simon "own" the Lizotte and "SL" logo?

I bet Simon will get to design a few discs. . wonder what he will come up with
And what will be his new "skygod" nickname will be

I´m surprised that we dont have any "spy shots" of his new discs. . he HAS to have been out at Maple Hill and thrown his new sponsors discs by now?!?

In Simons own "This is why I leave Discmania video" he said that Discmania own of all his logos.

If indeed Simon gets connected with MVP, it may involve more than money such as marketing partner/ownership stakes in MVP and/or Maple Hill, and even the BIRDIE game as longer-term security for his family as he settles into living in the U.S. and Massachusetts in particular.

100%. There is NO WAY he ditches a 10 year sponsor and starts all over, with a new bag, at age 30, unless he's gotten a significantly better deal. Simon is a very intelligent guy. Forget about the disc golf related smarts, that entire YouTube channel and the related video editing and production, he did himself, from scratch, by being self taught. He's a sharp guy.

Add the family and children aspect to it, I don't see him taking any chances. Sure he had an amazing 2022 but his arm could start giving him problems again at any time. I think it is along the lines of where your going - he got a better deal with more guarantees and insurances.

A lot of Simons logos incorporate the Shield or Wings, which are probably trademarked of Discmania.
He obviously owns the "Lizotte" or "SL" branding, but will have to change them up to something new

Who could offer Simon the most earning potential, creativity, freedom, security, & convenience? Does Lone Star have their own aircraft?

Whoever it is I have to imagine they're offering him part ownership or some equivalent long term source of income. MVP has the most smoke so it's likely where he's headed. Innova could offer him the best deal but they've never been known to invest that much in sponsorships, and i don't think he would want to be seen as "betraying" Discmania by signing with them.

Infnite or Lat 64 are the only other companies I could imagine. Way outside the box but maybe Marshall Street gives him majority stake in their business or something crazy like.

Whoever it is I have to imagine they're offering him part ownership or some equivalent long term source of income. MVP has the most smoke so it's likely where he's headed. Innova could offer him the best deal but they've never been known to invest that much in sponsorships, and i don't think he would want to be seen as "betraying" Discmania by signing with them.

Infnite or Lat 64 are the only other companies I could imagine. Way outside the box but maybe Marshall Street gives him majority stake in their business or something crazy like.

Terry Miller doesn't agree about the part ownership that many people have speculated about...

https://twitter.com/thediscgolfguy/status/1611833881023348741?s=20&t=hckpy1TdTi0GRUxQUxoy7g

From a retailer standpoint: I stopped ordering DM for my store a few months back. 40% of a retailer group that I'm part of did the same thing at some point in 2022. DM has accounted for less than 2% of my overall sales in the past 3 years.

Seems like everything is special edition, no stock items. I used to be all Discmania in 2015-2017ish....then didnt like any of the new stuff, and started venturing out and only bag an Essence now

Terry Miller doesn't agree about the part ownership that many people have speculated about...

Finally a voice of reason. MVP's going to give Simon a million dollars a year guaranteed. To play disc golf. Can't believe people don't think that's enough.

Huh? What does "peaked" mean to you?

It's a running joke around these parts…

Paul's move from Innova to Discraft was similar to Simon's situation but different at the same time. Similar in that absolutely nobody believed the Innova to DC rumors at first…McBeth seemed like an Innova lifer. It was if Jordan left Nike to go wear Reebok. At that time DC had the reputation of super bland and stale second fiddle to Innova. Paul desperately moved the needle for them, and Innova still managed to sell frisbees just fine.

Different in the sense that Innova was already well established well before Paul. Sure, losing McBeth had players checking out Discraft that probably wouldn't have otherwise, but they weren't selling discs only because of Paul. Simon and Discmania grew up together, Simon pretty much was Discmania for the first few years. Take him away from Discmania and you've got a massive hole to fill. Yeah, Eagle is still there, and yeah they'll sign some new talent, but none of them will replace and exceed what they had with Simon. I'm not saying DM is on the path of failure, just that they've hit their high point for a while.

Whoever is landing Simon is about to see a massive bump in sales. The pre covid boom crowd saw it firsthand with Discraft. They were the butt of jokes, sign McBeth, and now they're the ones laughing all the way to the bank. Somebody else is about to experience that. It'll be a while before Discmania lands another name to move the needle as much as Simon, so yes, I'd say they've peaked.

But then again, maybe "Has ______ peaked?" jokes have peaked…

From a retailer standpoint: I stopped ordering DM for my store a few months back. 40% of a retailer group that I'm part of did the same thing at some point in 2022. DM has accounted for less than 2% of my overall sales in the past 3 years.

My local store has continued to stock discmania, and other than the mind bender, the inventory has just sat there. Stacks and stacks of discs just collecting dust. Plus, I feel like the true diehard discmania guys I know are really into the old innova runs of discs. They never got into the latitude made stuff, and I don't think anybody is into the yikun made stuff either.

Me and a buddy were talking the other day about how Discmania really lost out during the Covid bump. Everybody else was selling every disc they were making and filling their coffers. Companies couldn't make discs fast enough. Meanwhile Discmania lost all production of their core molds because innova focused on their own production.

Seems like everything is special edition, no stock items. I used to be all Discmania in 2015-2017ish....then didnt like any of the new stuff, and started venturing out and only bag an Essence now

Their manufacturing has all over the place, with little control on their part.

Innova, Discraft, Latitude, MVP all have the certainty/stability of controlling which discs get made and when.

It may not be a direct ownership but support to build on their personal brand. Like PMcB and Foundation disc golf. It doesn't necessarily have to be ownership in "the company" but some support to build a new company/event/spin off franchise. Like a sponsored clothing line etc. Or a position as something like "marketing director" in addition to being a player still. Who knows maybe it will break new sponsorship ground... a million a year was unheard of 5 yrs ago. I could still see a smaller company cutting him in on ownership shares. A big company not so much but stock options could be a bargaining chip.

With DM not moving as much plastic as other brands it could also be a quietly sore spot. You keep slugging it out, building a brand in a company, kinda like buying stocks or mutual funds... waiting for the good times and a bump in ROE, everyone else is making it big over covid except you. If you couldn't make extra during the plastic frenzy when and how will you make more and expand and grow your personal brand?
images

Last edited: