• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2024 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Haha yeah I saw that photo, I figured it was a stretch, and then I thought about it and they do like their Easter egg crap was like yeah probably intentional. Why else shoot him on the far right?

@lee76007 thanks for the vote of confidence haha. It was just heresay from a pro I know not associated with MVP in any way, just a guy I lend support to with Junior Disc Golf.
My decision and thoughts also would have included Simon's video last month pulling out all those discs that gyro P2 that was symbolism for eagle. there's also the gyro TL that's for somebody but perhaps that fell through or later. there was also that unnamed yellow purple Rim disc that look like a neutron to me, in today's video Eagle pointed out how much he enjoyed throwing the dimension. I'm predicting you're going to have an eagle stamp on a dimension, and perhaps that yellow purple rim shows up on video with eagle. . Eagles decision seems like to me it was from several months ago not recently at all and just maybe a year ago when Simon was sharing with eagle his contract prior to Simon's announcement.

Happy for Alden.

Attention Others: announce, already. My interest peaked over the weekend, and now I'm getting bored with it.

EDITED: wait, Eagle announced? I guess I had gotten more bored with it than I knew.

Interested in what Eagle selects for his putter. In the Simon video, he mentioned the Nomad, Pixel, and Pilot as the ones in the running. My brother would love if he chose the Pilot as that is his putting putter (Neutron) of choice.

Alden's deal with Discmania is two years. I'd think there would be more $ in signing aa one year, but I like that these 'kids' are thinking ahead.

Alden's deal with Discmania is two years. I'd think there would be more $ in signing aa one year, but I like that these 'kids' are thinking ahead.

And good on Discmania for signing him for two years. I don't like young athletes being signed to one year deals. It puts a lot of pressure on kids, rather than giving them time to develop.

Somehow I enjoyed throwing MVP better back in 2015 when they were small and under the radar.

Good on them for hitting the big time. They have good discs and I like the company.

For some reason I have no interest in buying Simon or Eagle discs. My envies and proxies fly just fine without a signature series stamp in them.

In what sounds like a declining market, locking in for multiple years seems like a good move for the player.
What metric are you using to say disc golf is a declining market? Everything I can find, and every forecast, shows this to be incorrect :)

Having a few larger growth years during Covid does not mean that there has been negative growth afterwards. There are consistently more players, more courses, and more money being spent every single year.

What metric are you using to say disc golf is a declining market? Everything I can find, and every forecast, shows this to be incorrect :)

Having a few larger growth years during Covid does not mean that there has been negative growth afterwards. There are consistently more players, more courses, and more money being spent every single year.
I think you are misunderstanding the circumstances. It's a declining market for contracts from manufacturers. Lots of players are not getting the offers they thought they would and having to settle for less or nothing at all.

I think you are misunderstanding the circumstances. It's a declining market for contracts from manufacturers. Lots of players are not getting the offers they thought they would and having to settle for less or nothing at all.
Is there evidence that companies are investing less money year over year to sponsor players? Genuinely curious because that wouldn't make much sense.

Anecdotes from individuals disappointed isn't really enough information imo!

On the other hand, in a declining market, good for manufacturers to buy the dip.

If I was in charge of Discmania, after signing one of the biggest names in Pro Disc Golf and my new marquee player was publicly talking shit about some of the brand's offerings, I would be super stoked (even if it is the lower end, Chinese stuff).

Then I would add a bonus clause to Alden's contract for everytime he's on coverage throwing any of those three discs Buhr listed.

BTL explained what I was trying to say better than I could. I was saying that *I think* sponsorship compensation for the top players has come down from a peak. If that's the case, there's less incentive for someone just outside of that top tier to bet on themselves with a one year deal.

I'm also interested in seeing these metrics which suggest disc golf is a declining market.

These 2 legitimate sources say otherwise.

1. UDisc's Disc Golf Growth Report 2023 - Disc Golf Growth Report powered by UDisc | UDisc

2. 2020-2023 PDGA Continental & Worldwide Demographics - https://www.pdga.com/files/2024_international_program_guide_final_complete_0104.pdf

2020 - 2023 PDGA Continental & Worldwide Demographics.
At the end of 2023, PDGA had a total of 136 347 current members!
Up +5 556 members since 2022. That's a growth rate of 4.2%.
111 917 active PDGA members in North America, a 3.3% increase from 2022 and 21 588 members in Europe, that's a growth rate of 6.7%.

As of the end of 2023, the countries in Europe with the highest number of active PDGA members were as follows:
#1 Sweden - 5544 members;
#2 Finland - 4562;
#3 Norway - 3462;
#4 Estonia - 1417;
#5 Denmark - 1117.

2024_international_program_guide_final_complete_0104-39.png

2024_international_program_guide_final_complete_0104-40.png

Just listening to the Eagle interview on Staggered Stance. One interesting thing he disclosed was that there will be no "Eagle line" at MVP in the near future. He did have that option offered to him from other manufacturers that they were having discussions with before deciding for going with MVP.

He feels like getting an "Eagle line" would be too much work and focus away of playing and focusing on that part. And he feels that the current lineup at MVP is so complete so that he isn't actually missing anything.

He did however mention he brought two discs to MVP to see if they maybe could "recreate" something similar, a 10 speed (an old PD as I understood it) and a blunt approach disc. But he felt confident that there were enough options now also anyway. Especially when it comes to the approach disc where he said he already had four good options in that spot.

On Smashboxx Eagle also extended on having an own line, that it could perhaps happen in the future, but at least he first wanted James and Simon fill out their lines before he brings a mold of his own since he didn't want to step on their toes and let them do their thing first.

Last edited:

Latest posts