• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2024 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Let the speculation begin.

For me it's Gannon to DM and Eagle to MVP.
Agree as well. At least that is the most prevalent theory in my head. Simon has a mystery disc he poorly edits out of his video. Simon hasn't updated his channel in around 16 days or so, he was supposed to be doing vlogmas posts at least every two days but has gone dark. Paul Kerns to MVP would be such an easy video to make but even that hasn't dropped. Secretly hoping the next simon video that we see is him with Eagle and Paul helping them get their new bags together.

In recent memory, has there been an internet rumor that a player is leaving, but the player or sponsor comes out and says, "no, that's not true"? Because in my mind, if the disc golf talk shows have a rumor, it would be easy for the player or sponsor to shut it down quickly. By my estimation… the rumors are always true.

In recent memory, has there been an internet rumor that a player is leaving, but the player or sponsor comes out and says, "no, that's not true"? Because in my mind, if the disc golf talk shows have a rumor, it would be easy for the player or sponsor to shut it down quickly. By my estimation… the rumors are always true.
Most recent one I can remember not actually happening was some talk that Calvin might leave Innova for DD a year ago or whenever his contract was up. I don't think it had nearly as much traction as some of the other rumors though.

I agree, if they were simply rumors it'd be real easy to come out and squash them. Between leaks occurring at the manufacturers themselves (typically the new sponsor) and friends/family there are a lot of ways for rumors to start flying.

It's really no different than all the talk radio speculation for your favorite major sport free agents. DG is just this tiny grassroot bubble though where up until recently all the contracts were handshake deals. It's almost as if the players are viewed as villains for talking to other companies towards the end of their contacts. We're just accustomed to it with the big 4 team sports.

Agree as well. At least that is the most prevalent theory in my head. Simon has a mystery disc he poorly edits out of his video. Simon hasn't updated his channel in around 16 days or so, he was supposed to be doing vlogmas posts at least every two days but has gone dark. Paul Kerns to MVP would be such an easy video to make but even that hasn't dropped. Secretly hoping the next simon video that we see is him with Eagle and Paul helping them get their new bags together.
Are you referring to the yellow disc with purple rim? It's been in two videos, he picks it up, doesn't name it and puts it back down. all the other discs in those videos he names them.

Tiger Woods, Nike announce end of 27-year partnership

"I ride and die for Innova now" - Tiger

3SHCRmVm.jpg

Last edited:
Are you referring to the yellow disc with purple rim? It's been in two videos, he picks it up, doesn't name it and puts it back down. all the other discs in those videos he names them.
That's the one. In complete honesty, I'll believe it when I see it. Just like when everyone was speculating Simon last year, I wanted to believe it but didn't want to get my hopes up. I think the vlog not posting anything, even with Paul, is what has my spider-senses tingling. I also don't really buy that MVP needed to shut down for an entire month to 'ribbon-cut' opening their new facility while also working to restock inventory, if that was the sole purpose. I'm sure that time helped but it does make me wonder if they learned a lesson after Simon signed and were actually getting a lot of inventory boosted so they could sustain another top pro being signed.

Why not McMahon to Discraft? HoD and Innova are already kind of been there done that.

MVP, I'd think McMahon would want to go a different route than Lizotte.

Discraft has a heavy payroll; not sure they would also add Eagle to that. I could also see TSA being a dark horse; I feel like he'd fit in with their vibe and team

That's the one. In complete honesty, I'll believe it when I see it. Just like when everyone was speculating Simon last year, I wanted to believe it but didn't want to get my hopes up. I think the vlog not posting anything, even with Paul, is what has my spider-senses tingling. I also don't really buy that MVP needed to shut down for an entire month to 'ribbon-cut' opening their new facility while also working to restock inventory, if that was the sole purpose. I'm sure that time helped but it does make me wonder if they learned a lesson after Simon signed and were actually getting a lot of inventory boosted so they could sustain another top pro being signed.
When those video's came out Simon knew what was going on with Eagle. Last year Simon said he spoke everyday with Eagle about leaving Discmania to MVP, and I would think the same this time around with Eagle. When I first saw that yellow disc, I thought it was another Simon line coming out that he was teasing us with, I think more likely Simon saying this is going to be for Eagle or if Eagle comes over to MVP it can be an Eagle line. I think Simon was also teasing us with that gyro P2 as with MVP lassoing Eagle. Then there's the gyro TL3 that has some sort of meaning, perhaps at the time of the video Eagle was thinking about Innova or maybe there was a possibility of somebody coming over to MVP from Innova. Simon likes to have fun with his viewers.

To me it looks like it's all coming together now with Simon on silence, not wanting to spill the beans, and MVP possibly gearing up for Eagle . After the field practice video, the rest of vlogmas was pre-recorded in Charlotte after the season was over. That Eagle video with Ella Hanson with the new P something had to be filmed back in October before Eagle's surgery, at the time I saw it last week, strike that out of the equation.

Simon likely has known where Eagle is going for a while now. I wouldn't be surprised, and it would be hilarious if Simon handed that yellow disc with purple rim to Eagle, in Eagle's announcement video "Welcome Aboard" to MVP and the new Eagle line. Makes since to me, I'm hopeful, and could be wrong.

Ok moar speculation -

What's the biggest driver of Eagle's disc sales? His social media sells. His dad Pat is a great character, his gf is silly, and he's good-looking (per Sbizz, not my type).
MVP has that already in Simon. In fact he's even better at it! So why pay a premium for something you already have? Adding Eagle doesn't add an all-new audience, it just brings in that thin slice of players that are Eagle fans but not Simon's. So are they doubling their sales by doubling their pro salary? He's getting a million dollars a year, and he should, but they would only be adding a fraction of what his sales would be if he signed elsewhere.
Simon and Eagle together isn't a "more-is-more" scenario. IMHO it would not increase sales enough to offset his salary.

Bill's post makes sense to me.

I suppose fresh faces bring new fans, and potentially lead to some sales that might have gone to a a competitor the prior year, but...

I'm not gonna claim to understand the how and why behind each manufacturer's pursuit (or lack thereof) of certain players.

Eagle sees his departure from DM as taking a risk that he has a gut feeling about. Sounds like he is betting on himself to sell discs, as in his own line or brand. So who can offer him a new line. Innova? Dunipace is the only disc maker for them. Discraft doesn't have room to give Eagle that much. MVP could hand over Streamline to Eagle, but does he want that. HOD could give Eagle his own brand like Drew Gibson's Finish Line Discs (all made in Sweden). Heck, some minor brand could be giving him majority ownership. I believe this going to interesting and we'll find out in a couple years whether Eagle can truly sell discs.

So MVP said they don't have anyone else joining their team, but does that encompass all their brands? I know someone (sorry can't remember who) mentioned earlier he could be the Streamline guy for lack of a better term.

Hard to see Innova handing out a big contract but it's not impossible. Discraft just doesn't feel like a good fit for him.

So what's that leave? Dynamic probably can't afford him. I'm not sure he'll get a guaranteed contract the same size as Simon or Ricky given the market now but he should still come at a premium.

Gun to my head Id wager he goes to Latitude

An not reputable source told me and i could kinda see Birdie disc golf wanting to emerge in the market and taking a chance on eagle. I could see it.