• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The inevitable re-attempt at a 2020 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

One has to wonder if considering they have someone else making their discs if DD even has the ability to do that. I mean I'm sure they could decide to slap her name on existing discs and call them a PP line, but could they actually develop a new line of discs for her and get them in the production cycle with Lat 64 being who actually calls the production shots? I'm not saying they couldn't, I'm just speculating that it's a lot easier to do this if you are actually a manufacturing disc golf company and not more of a distribution disc golf company.

Both Truths (original and EMac) were designed with a lot of input from Eric McCabe. Latitude has allowed a few of their players lots of design input. The Fuse and Pure (and one driver, Striker maybe?) are Jesper Lundmark designs. The Dagger, Spark and Mace (I think) are Feldberg designs. Ricky had design input on the Compass. I don't think it's a manufacturing thing so much as a matter of how much DD is willing to give any player from the production/sale of a particular mold.

Like, a tour series disc (e.g. special Lucid/Opto-X runs) might be X dollars per disc to the player. A signature series (a stock run of a mold with a signature stamp, like the Convict) might be Y dollars per disc. Maybe a custom line of discs might be Z dollars per disc to the player. If the brand thinks Z is too much for them to give up, they say no.

It might well be that sub-contracting the production creates a smaller margin for DD, and thus they can't afford to give any player Z dollars, but I don't think it's something dictated to them by Latitude as their manufacturer.

The test flight putter. Do we really know if that just is a signature disc, or the start of her own "line" of discs like Paul.

The test flight putter. Do we really know if that just is a signature disc, or the start of her own "line" of discs like Paul.

The way she talks about the disc sure make it seam like it´s "her" discs

" We are still working on a name, plastic type, and making sure this is perfect, but we wanted to give some of you a chance to be right here with us in the first stages of the putter of my dreams. The flight is deadly straight with lots of glide. I also designed it to where it will feel good in everyones hand no matter how your grip is positioned."

"[Di$craft is] willing to do any and €v€rything I want to do and th€y tru$t my vi$ion," said Pierce. "That'$ $om€thing I hav€n't had b€for€: the tru$t and involv€m€nt."

I knew it - her own line of discs, not just sig line for ones that sell to make a few extra bucks.

Her quote, to me, confirms it - "[Discraft is] willing to do any and everything I want to do and they trust my vision," said Pierce. "That's something I haven't had before: the trust and involvement."

The way she talks about the disc sure make it seam like it´s "her" discs

" We are still working on a name, plastic type, and making sure this is perfect, but we wanted to give some of you a chance to be right here with us in the first stages of the putter of my dreams. The flight is deadly straight with lots of glide. I also designed it to where it will feel good in everyones hand no matter how your grip is positioned."

Looks like Paige herself is calling what she does design. She's not designing anything, she's giving them input on how she wants the disc to fly and feel. That's not design.

:wall:

I hope she does real well with her new contract! :clap:

So let me get this straight...in a sport that is comprised almost entirely of men he's shocked that most of the criticism is coming from...wait for it...men? Also, isn't "ignored" a bit of an overstatement seeing how this move has generated a ton of buzz on the book of faces and the PDGA has Paiges photo in the background image on every page of their web site?

Women disc golfers might be under appreciated for sure but ignored? There's an awful lot of fellas that I hang with that can easily name as many FPO players as MPO players. I wouldn't exactly call that being ignored.

Attachments

• 0FBBDC52-6403-40F9-A79B-475936673D7D.jpg
    0FBBDC52-6403-40F9-A79B-475936673D7D.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 188
We (at least here on DGCR) aren't really bickering about where WE think she SHOULD go, more about where we THINK she WILL go. Until this morning, that is.

Yuge difference

Looks like Paige herself is calling what she does design. She's not designing anything, she's giving them input on how she wants the disc to fly and feel. That's not design.

That's pretty presumptive.

How do you know that Paige didn't fire up some CAD software and specify the geometry to be sent to the mold cutters?

A design starts as a concept. If Paige is providing the concept, then she is part of the design process. If she's suggesting refinements, shes part of the design process. Paige and Paul are designing discs.

lol the concept for a disc was made back in the 70s....or was that the 50s?

You are wrong.

A white knight is going to white knight.

Terry isn't a "white knight". He just really enjoys calling out any sort of irony or hypocrisy. He is basing it off of the fact that FPO is 7% of our PDGA membership. FPO usually gets 25% of views on YouTube. FPO gets about 1/5 (or less) the live spectators. Yet we have a lot of people, mostly men, discussing where Paige is going. What she should get. What is fair. It sure seems like a lot of interest now, and not nearly as much during the season.

Terry isn't a "white knight". He just really enjoys calling out any sort of irony or hypocrisy. He is basing it off of the fact that FPO is 7% of our PDGA membership. FPO usually gets 25% of views on YouTube. FPO gets about 1/5 (or less) the live spectators. Yet we have a lot of people, mostly men, discussing where Paige is going. What she should get. What is fair. It sure seems like a lot of interest now, and not nearly as much during the season.

Because it's mostly men who are interested in Disc Golf. What if the men didn't say anything about this move? Then men would be berated for ignoring it. There is no winning and the tweet or whatever it was is white knighting.