• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Jay, Innova's Buzzz?

mboss302

Now that Innova has finally copied the Zone do you think that they are trying to make a Buzzz?

I think they already have a couple discs that are Buzz-like, Mako3 being the first to come to mind. Buzz throwers are going to be hard to convince that anything is as good, so I think it would be a waste of resources.

I think they already have a couple discs that are Buzz-like, Mako3 being the first to come to mind. Buzz throwers are going to be hard to convince that anything is as good, so I think it would be a waste of resources.

I bag both Buzzzs and Mako3s. The Mako3 flies very different to the Buzzz, the Buzzz flips up and rides where as no mater how hard I throw the Mako3 it flies dead strait. If you think about it Innova tried to make a zone like 5 times. So I think that this is just their latest attempt to copy the Buzzz. Also seeing as the Buzzz is arguably the best selling disc ever wouldn't it make sense to copy it?

I bag both Buzzzs and Mako3s. The Mako3 flies very different to the Buzzz, the Buzzz flips up and rides where as no mater how hard I throw the Mako3 it flies dead strait. If you think about it Innova tried to make a zone like 5 times. So I think that this is just their latest attempt to copy the Buzzz. Also seeing as the Buzzz is arguably the best selling disc ever wouldn't it make sense to copy it?

Only if you can guarantee that you can snatch some of that market share, otherwise it is a waste of money. However, since everyone seems to want to try every new disc that comes out I assume Innova will make their money back whether it is a dud or not. For me, the Buzzz does not start out overstable enough to cycle. If this is a Buzzz clone I will definitely pass. flight numbers look like the true numbers for a Roc3 so I'm not sure what DaveD is thinking.

Other than the buzzz commercial which attests it as being arguably the best selling disc of all time...is there any way you think there have been more Buzzz sold that Rocs or aviars? Highly doubt it. Its just marketing lingo.

I'm going to guess a Chariot/Aurora MS variant. The most recent run of Aurora (Q and S) went back to using the original Shark mold top piece with a slight dome in premium plastics. For a couple runs it had been sharing the Shark3 (might be the same as Roc3/Mako3) flat top but no PDGA re-approval was submitted. There was also a Quantum Aurora run (also not re-approved) with a micro-bead bottom which seems to be what the Chariot configuration is.

The flat top Chariot/Aurora MS are both little shallower/slimmer profile hand feel vs. Mako3, MD3, and Buzzz.
Jay
PDGA Specifications
Max Weight: 180.1gr
Diameter: 21.7cm
Height: 1.7cm
Rim Depth: 1.2cm
Rim Thickness: 1.4cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 19.0cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 5.5%
Rim Configuration: 45.75
Flexibility: 10.00kg

Looks like the Jay got mentioned in this Instagram/Newsletter update https://www.innovadiscs.com/weekly-update/whats-new-the-week-of-september-4-2022/

Last edited:
I'm bothered by the Pterosaur... How does that fly without ever mentioning anything to us? Like... Could I go approve a Firebird an?

From the disc approval form . . .

"Scan the approved disc list making sure your proposed disc name is not too similar to a previously approved disc name. The PDGA does not referee name conflicts. Please resolve any naming issues with the previously approved manufacturer before your new disc can be approved."

So yes, I'll bet you could register a Firebirdosaurus . . . and then when you go to sell it we'd find out if disc golf finally has enough money at stake to pursue trademark lawsuits.

FWIW, this made me look . . . Innova has about 16 live trademarks . . . and Firebird is actually one of them (Reg. 5580008).

Super weak sauce on the pterosaur naming. Description says beefier than a shryke and more glide than a destroyer. So is this the rebranded dd3?

Other than the buzzz commercial which attests it as being arguably the best selling disc of all time...is there any way you think there have been more Buzzz sold that Rocs or aviars? Highly doubt it. Its just marketing lingo.

I'd go a step further. I doubt the Buzzz sells as much as a Mako3 currently. Probably not even close. Innova produces so much more plastic than everyone else for a reason. . . because they sell it.

Innova FB story with the stock Star Jay stamp + side profile view (and some boring straight midrange throws). Looks like the Infinite Chariot to me (Microbead and flat top).

Attachments

• InnovaJayStamp.jpg
    InnovaJayStamp.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 85
  • InnovaJay.jpg
    InnovaJay.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 118
Definitely some Mako in that disc. I actually will probably check this out.

Looks like these will be rolling out shortly to dealers in Star (Protostar First run & Stock stamps) and Champion (similar Stock stamp to the recently released Champion Hawkeye).

"I think it's the most point-and-shoot Mid-Range that we have" - Dave Dunipace. Simple as it sounds, a straight shot can be one of the most challenging shapes to pull off on the golf course. With the Innova Jay, aim at your target, release flat, and watch the disc fly perfectly on your intended line. With a modest fade, the Jay will finish gently and predictably in the center of the fairway.

The Jay is unique; it has great torque resistance, but is not overstable. That rare combination allows you to throw the disc hard and flat without it turning over or diving left at the end of the flight. It also makes the Jay one of the best mid-ranges in the Innova lineup for forehands. Where other mid-ranges might turn and burn into the ground, the Jay can handle the torque of a forehand, providing a similarly straight flight and mellow fade to backhands.

The low-profile, micro-beaded design fits comfortably in your hand for a clean release every throw. One of the most versatile, shapeable discs on the market, the Innova Jay is our new go-to choice for a one-disc round. The Jay comes in Champion and Star plastics, with the Champion Jay being a bit stiffer.

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-jay/

Last edited:
Reminds me of the Aurora,
jay_ch_red_profile_2x3__49253.1663531076.jpg

https://www.golfdisc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/qms-all.jpg
qms-all.jpg

9-21-95_side_aurora.jpg

Latest posts