• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Michael Johansen Walk Off

The Michael Johansen Walk Off

• Very cool, he's the man.

Votes: 98 53.6%
  • I'm ok with it.

Votes: 65 35.5%
  • Don't like it, he should watch his disc.

Votes: 20 10.9%

• Total voters
13 people saying he should watch his disc? I guess it is their choice, but with someone as consistent as MJ and as experienced, I'm pretty sure he's got the whole finding his disc thing down.

I actually quite enjoy watching you walk toward the basket before the putt hits. It gives the whole thing a very Steph Curry vibe. :D

Totally agree. When I am in the zone I do this sometimes, and it is intimidating to the competition for sure. I got it from watching MJ in a tourney vid a few years ago.

Kinda forget which one it was, but there was a beehive or hornets nest on one of the fairways (not that it matters)

Bottom line: The mini pickup/walkoff before the putt hits is badass!!!:thmbup:

I much prefer MJ's style to the guy who stands in front of the camera so I can't watch his shot!

It was pretty clear watching the 3rd round of the vibram with Alex, Drew & Brown that the slow down in that tournament got to them. Playing that slow is torture in my book.

It was pretty clear watching the 3rd round of the vibram with Alex, Drew & Brown that the slow down in that tournament got to them. Playing that slow is torture in my book.
Yep. Exactly. Not often talked about but.... damn does a slowdown throw people off of their game. Even in casual rounds.

Nice to hear somebody like MJ actively works on this in practice. I wonder if other top pros do the same?

Does McBeth even lurk here these days?

I love the speed at which you play, MJ. Although I would never personally turn my back on a drive, it's all good for you.

^ Yes, McBeth lurks. Wish he would post more.

So how'd you vote on this topic MJ? In all seriousness, love watching MJ not watch the disc. I also appreciate that he doesn't throw mini temper tantrums with any throw that might not be perfect.

MJ had his say on this thread and explained the incident. He was clear, concise and thoughtful in his responses. AIN'T A BIG DEAL.

There are going to be times when a round will drag out no matter how you're playing. And you just want to get it over. Just something to think about.

That shot in question that went ob. If he would have taken a little more time on it would he have thrown it better? Looked to be a fairly routine layup for him?

I thought when he walked off the tee before the disc landed that it was weird at first, watching MJ's videos a couple of years ago. I've gotten used to it, the more we've gotten to see him (you) on line. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to explain that you do look back after clearing the tee. Not that you need my approval, but that makes total sense! :thmbup:

And I was going to mention the putting, too. I love how quickly you make your putt after spending so little time prepping for it. You've obviously put in the work and just make it look so care free.

Keep up the great play!

since it seems MJ finds his discs without any problem, I'd have no reason to be bothered by it at all. :thmbup:

However I don't understand the argument others are making about getting people off the tee quickly. Before my shot even lands? Really? Tough crap, I'm gonna stand right there on the tee and watch my shot til it stops, it's only a few seconds. If you come walking up on the tee while my shot is in flight and interfere with me watching it, that's a courtesy violation.

People who are so wound up about pace of play should focus more on keeping their own pre-shot routine to <30 sec instead of worrying about the insignificant time spent by people who are watching their own shot.

I'm pretty certain that he watches it long enough to have a nearly certain idea of where it's going to land. Do some of you guys really think he just turns away right after the release with no clue where his disc is going or if he's going to get a nasty tree kick? Dude knows what he's doing.

However I don't understand the argument others are making about getting people off the tee quickly. Before my shot even lands? Really? Tough crap, I'm gonna stand right there on the tee and watch my shot til it stops, it's only a few seconds. If you come walking up on the tee while my shot is in flight and interfere with me watching it, that's a courtesy violation.

Seriously? I mean.... Seriously?

I guess I noticed that he did this, but to me he just looked like a guy trying to quickly clear the tee pad after a throw. I was assuming he knew where his disc was going once it left his hand.