• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The most important part of TEE SIGNS

^^Simpler can be better, especially on holes where most of the hole is sort of out in front of you, and like this hole, with non-discatchers, which my crappy eyes don't see so great even when in plain view. Knowing where to look is often enough.

more elaborate layouts with a bunch of blind tee shots, the more detail the merrier, for me.

Dang, 479 par 3 hurts my feelings.

Last edited:
^^Simpler can be better, especially on holes where most of the hole is sort of out in front of you ... more elaborate layouts with a bunch of blind tee shots, the more detail the merrier, for me.

In my humble opinion, clarity and ease of reading are the essential qualities. The reason people prefer simplicity is that clarity and legibility are so much easier to preserve in simple designs, if for no other reason than that you can use larger, bolder fonts when you have less to put on the sign. However, with the right layout, colors, and fonts, you should be able to add details without sacrificing quality.

These are new signs from a course in St. Cloud MN. They look very appealing.
IMAG3592_zps0ab69ea7.jpg

These are new signs from a course in St. Cloud MN. They look very appealing.
Damn. Those signs look great.

The signs at Hidden Lake DGC (near st. cloud) were very high quality, but downright misleading. nothing worse than a sign that shows a dogleg left... but the basket is to the right. WTF? why waste the money?

Whistler's Bend/OR has 1/2" holes drilled through the sign for each basket and colored to match the basket position. A stick is then placed through the hole to indicate its current position. Of course, this lends itself to manipulation by unscrupulous tourney players...:|

Best idea that I have seen to indicate the basket position is the tee signs of Marana Rock, in Marana, AZ:http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2575&mode=ci
On the right side of the sign, they have holes drilled in, and they use a small lock to indicate the basket. Unfortunately the only closeup shot of a tee sign is one that has only one placement. I'll have to take a close up picture next time I'm there.

Last edited:
Thanx. I've got both location and distance down (google earth and gps are awesome tools. And I play the course a lot)

I apologize if anyone else has brought this up, I don't feel like reading every post of this thread...

Please consider using a different distance measuring device other than G-Earth and GPS. Unless you have a really, really nice GPS, both methods can easily be off by 20'-40'. If possible, get a laser rangefinder and use those measurements.

it's been a few years but water works park in Kansas City has some good signs. Actual quality pictures of the holes with the baskets highlighted in different colors

I have not read every post on this thread, sorry if this has already been posted. Pin locations on each sign and a bolt that can be moved to show which location sounds good. But, IMHO they can be misleading too. Either someone forgets one or some jackass moves the bolts. My suggestion, on the bottom of the #1 sign paint a little area that match the pin locations. Put the lock on the correct color.

Personally, I think pin positions on signs or any kind of hole representation on signs is overrated. Holes are often modified during the first year. Later, pin positions can be added or moved, trees die and have to be removed, etc. With course maps and hole info available online, I'd rather have something graffiti proof for a tee sign. For example, the hole number inlaid into the concrete tee, or a railroad tie sticking up out of the ground for a dirt tee and the hole number carved into a slant top and covered with clear sealant that is hard to write on or easily deface. Something like that.

Honestly, there are a lot of things that are important in a disc sign.

1. Hole location (too many holes are blind shots...some direction is awesome)
2. Next tee location
3. Accurate distance
4. Alternate tee locations and basket locations
5. Accurate depictions of OB and mandos
6. Hole par (yes, I have seen hole signs that don't include the hole par)
7. Location...must be visible but completely out of play...keep the sign off of the tee box!

As a player who plays a lot of courses only once, I really appreciate accurate tee signs. They don't need to be fancy, but having distance, a rough hole layout with any hazards like creeks or ponds, and a direction to the next tee goes a long way.

Does anybody know if advertising on tee signs brings in money? Our club has a lot going on now (3 new courses, not including this one). We are going to need money for pads soon, after the city lets us off probation.

didnt read the thread but we just got 36 new signs 8x14 in size and cost us $23 each for just the metal sign with vinal. we were able to get all 36 sponsored for $50 each which includes a 3x8 inch ad spot. they paid for themselves. local businesses loved hearing they'd last 7 plus years.

The most important part of a tee sign is Hole # and navigation. All other neccessary info. goes out the window if you can't find the hole you should be playing.

Everyone else has covered the major points. I will say one thing though. This may be more debatable, but I personally don't like it when signs have the flight path of the disc shown. Some holes may have a certain flight path most people would use, but some might like a different approach/different shot. When the sign doesn't show a flight path, I think that encourages people to be more creative. Someone might have one idea, while someone else has a completely different idea on the hole. This way no one enters the hole with a preconceived perception of how they're supposed to throw. Not a huge deal, but that's my opinion.

Edit: I don't mind having the fairway defined from the rough on signs. Just the actual flight path line.
I respectfully disagree. Tee signs are of most use to first timers and vistors. A "typical" line indicates where you'll find the basket. As someone else said, when visiting/playing for first time, I just want to know where the pin I'm supposed to throw at is. A simple line w/ distance does that effectively and efficiently. Anyone who wants to take a different route can be as creative as they wish.

Sure, color signs are nice when they're new, but how long before they get:
1) drawn on (Aces, vulgarity, whatever)?
2) damaged, destroyed, stolen
3) outdated - hole changes, pin/tee gets moved
Custom signs are harder to replace.

Simple 4x4 posts are cheaper and easier to make initially, and cheaper and easier to replace as required down the road.

The only real reason I see a need for actual signs are to show multiple pins and which position it's in at the time.

Last edited:

Latest posts