• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

THE NATIONAL PLAYERS CHALLENGE (TNPC)

Points Possible 100pt scale in increments of 2pts per placement (its a standard point scale)
Place Points 2pts are awarded for every player after 50th place

1 100 21 60 41 20
2 98 22 58 42 18
3 96 23 56 43 16
4 94 24 54 44 14
5 92 25 52 45 12
6 90 26 50 46 10
7 88 27 48 47 8
8 86 28 46 48 6
9 84 29 44 49 4
10 82 30 42 50 2
11 80 31 40
12 78 32 38
13 76 33 36
14 74 34 34
15 72 35 32
16 70 36 30
17 68 37 28
18 66 38 26
19 64 39 24
20 62 40 22

I want to make sure this is clear.
The TNPC is not going to be a competitor against the PDGA. The pdga focuses on everything and I appreciate everything they do across the world.
The TNPC is focusing on creating an opportunity for all divisions to compete in a prestigious event in their own state with in state only players and the opportunity to compete in a big show (national championship) at the end.
This is a great chance for players to see how well they compete amongst the players of their own state and then get a chance to compete against players across the country at the nationals.

The website will be ready soon. If you have any experience with designing a site it takes time, especially with all of the detailed information that needs to be in place. I want to make sure all of the ducks are in a row before I go public with the site. People will have the opportunity to purchase their memberships through it and TD's will have an option to post results by themselves without having to send them in and waiting months for them to be posted. I want to make sure its completely ready for you.

Will you be able to show a membership list? I am slightly interested but if I am the only guy in GA and there is one in AL and one in SC then I won't bother...know what I mean?

I hate to be skeptical because I applaud all efforts to advance disc golf. But from here in SC, I doubt there'll be much interest. No one's ever shown any interest in the Southern Nationals, which has no membership and a pretty big championship.

We have 3 "championship" tournaments plus a points series championship. The tournaments are just run-of-the-mill tournaments. The points series is what players care about, fight for, and consider themselves state champions with. Another tournament, limited to only SC players, won't matter a lot.

At any rate, I can't imagine a TD running a tournament for only in-state players. If everyone in SC signed up for this series, such a tournament might still only draw 30 or 40 people. We're dependent on our friends from Augusta, Charlotte, & beyond to fill events.

Few South Carolinians go to Pro Worlds, Am Worlds, or Am Nationals unless they're very close by. If there's no qualifying at all, only a half dozen or so seem interested. How many are likely to pay an extra $30 and compete for an invitation to a prestigious, though less-prestigious, event?

Of course I could be wrong. I've certainly been wrong before. As I said, I applaud the effort. But, as an active player & TD, it seems a longshot.

When the website is up.
You will be able to click directly on Georgia as all states will be listed. It will show you how many members are in Georgia and a continuous meter that show exactly how much money will be sent to the TD for your state champs.

Also, lets say you are the first member and host an event. People like you will need to inform those participants about their points and I will do my best to promote it as well.
Lets say you run one event and then run the state champs. Then you will have the bid no matter what and will have an opportunity to come to the national championship as well. Would that be worth your time?
I personally will have nearly 10-15 events just in central Arkansas not including the other parts of our state.
Also understand this is the first year that other states will have a chance to compete in this. It will grow and move forward as the year progresses. Regardless it would be worth anyone's time to participate and try to make it to the national champs.
For those who don't travel, this will give them a great opportunity to have a nice state championship as well.

That's a great question and here you go:

Any player who participates in a TNPC tournament will have the option to score points no matter what state they play in. John Doe lives in S.C. and plays in a tnpc Florida tournament places 1st place. That is 100pts to him and us accumulated under his name for his state. So, for hosting a tnpc tournament where you rely on out of state players, then host it and let them play. They will have the option to pick up a membership and keep their points for their state as well.
Points Series: lets say all of the points series are register/sanctioned under the tnpc. If the players want to participate in it as a tnpc member that's great. The money will be sent to your tnpc state championship and you will be able to see exactly how much is going there.
Your points series is what they are fighting for right? Then you have a championship at the end. The winner considers himself the champ. Why not have a larger championship? Cash added to your championship and give the whole state an opportunity to participate. It might not be huge in its first year (your tnpc state championship), but it will grow.
Points: Southern Nationals it has a points championship at the end. How important are the points? Here's the breakdown, if you score points in the SN's you are allowed into their Championship. If you score a lot of points you will be allowed to pre-register for that even sooner than others. That is all. Prestigious? Its up to you. Believe me, I have run a Southern National Pro Championship and nearly all of the competitors registered on Friday just before the competition.
TNPC POINTS: allows you to see your ranking in your state. You can travel anywhere a tnpc tournament is run to get the points. They only matter for your name in your state. You keep these points to make sure you are in the top 15 in your division. Then you compete for that state championship. If you make the top 2 in your division, you will have a bid for the nationals.
Now, lets say you don't travel or can't travel. This tnpc is providing a way for people to participate in their own state championship is added money regardless of who doesn't show up.
I understand that some states will have trouble getting participants from their own state to compete and that's the beauty of it. You will know who is the best from your state in that division.
I hope I answered everything. If not please feel free to ask.

Also, What I like best about Arkansas as the host for the National Championship, is it is centrally located in the United States. You won't have to travel from coast to coast in order to make it here.
I've traveled to the USDGC'S and it was not a bad drive from here, but would've been extremely hard for me to make it if I lived in California.

You're obviously enthused and have worked out a lot of details, but I'm still lost on the basic premise. Maybe I'm dense.

You refer to it as a "National Championship" but, unless almost all top players join in, it's not. It's the "National Championship of TNPC Members", which is rather less prestigious. There are already PDGA Worlds (Pro & Am), United States Disc Golf Championships (soon to be every other year), Am Nationals, not to mention you can be recognized for being the highest rated player, the highest ranked player, the top money winner, the top points winner, or the National Tour points winner. I'm not sure another "National Champion" on top of all that gets a lot of respect.

What other reasons are there for aspiring to get to Little Rock? Sure, if you accumulate a big purse, it's reason for the top pros. But for the rest of us---is there a legendary course? Unbelievable amenities (USDGC)? Something else that puts this event high on disc golfers wish list---high enough that most will want to become members and make it there?

As for the state championship, I'm convinced that, at least around here, the points series will remain the only recognized champion. I don't think a single event will do it. Could be different other places.

For what it's worth, a couple of years ago I counted 72 tournaments with "Championship" in their name. With those, plus the aforementioned ratings, rankings, points, money, and other categories, some with as many as, what, 27 divisions, there must be hundreds of "champions" running around our courses. I'm not sure any more will get much notice.

I see exactly what you mean about the champions and National champions along with world champions. It get a bit redundant.
Your right about many champions running around courses everywhere. USDGC is professionals only.
PDGA is for players of the PDGA across the world open to the world. Southern Nationals is for players who compete in SN's or sponsored in by a company like Nikko was this year. He is the 2010 SN's Champ.
You can be the top money winner, highest rated player, highest ranked player and thats perfect. This tnpc might not work for those touring pro's for appeal, but players from all divisions will get a chance to enjoy something at a grand scale.
The national championship is for that. Or they can be their state only champ and be the best in that state for his/her division.
Are all of the bugs worked out? No, but it will be.

What is the fee to have a tnpc sanctioned event?

What are the requirements?

Here you go:
You will have 3 Levels of Sanctioning
$0-$500 Cash added to entire event BRONZE LEVEL = $5 FEE
$501-$1000 Cash added to entire event SILVER LEVEL= $10 FEE
$1001-$1500 Cash added to entire event GOLD LEVEL = $15 FEE

$2 from each entry in your event will go directly to your state champs

All money for sanctioning your event under the TNPC will be added to the National Championship. You will know exactly how much is going to the national championship from the website as well.
Hope that helps!

Half of total cash will go to Pro's and half will go to the Amateurs that's the only requirement.

My goal for the added cash is not to just send it to the Pro divisions. I would like to make sure all divisions will know that the cash added is not just to Pro.
Just to clarify, I play pro open in all events and I love to see the juniors, novice, amateurs, advanced players all receive added money which could produce deeper payouts in those divisions. There is nothing better than seeing a new player pick up some new gear for just playing in an event.

Your divisions don't coincide with the PDGA men's divisions. For example PDGA has a rec and a novice division (AM3 and AM4) AM4 is getting to be a lot more popular around here because the majority of people are rated under 850 and can play that level. All the non-PDGA members want to get in on the AM4 action because typically the entry fee is the same as AM3. When you have twice as many participants it just makes sense to enter the division with the most people because that's where the money is. Take a look at the results of the Discraft Great Lakes Open, and the pre-registered list for the Lincoln Logs tournament this weekend. You'll see what I mean. Plus I live in Ohio but most sanctioned events are too far for me to go in Ohio but Michigan is more convenient. 80% of where I play is Michigan. I don't know if I would want to compete for most of my points in Michigan and then do a State Championship against people I've never competed against before. I think the big hurdle is going to be the $30 fee to retain points for a tournament you may not be able to make. It's kind of like a $30 pre-registration fee. I mean like you said if you can't travel you can't travel. If I couldn't go to Columbus for a State Championship in OH, I probably wouldn't go to Arkansas. Just my opinion.

Although I may join just to see how I rank with others in my state because the PDGA site sucks for keeping track of that. I would probably pay $10 just to know that info if it kept track of all the stats for all PDGA events on one website. It would be neat to see if the points you obtained moved you up or down outside of the typical top 50 showed on the PDGA website.

Although I may join just to see how I rank with others in my state because the PDGA site sucks for keeping track of that. I would probably pay $10 just to know that info if it kept track of all the stats for all PDGA events on one website. It would be neat to see if the points you obtained moved you up or down outside of the typical top 50 showed on the PDGA website.

Thanks for all of what you have posted. I have thought of players like you and its difficult to find the best solution for your situation. We have a city Texarkana, AR which is divided by the state line with Texarkana, TX

The neat thing about my website is: you will be able to click on your state. You will have a list of all states to choose from. It will show you what you rank in your divisions based off of your points that you have scored and how many events you have participated in. There are Pro's and Con's of both Southern Nationals and PDGA. It will be the same with the TNPC. Nothing is perfect, but I am trying to make it work smoothly as possible.
Your perks for your membership will be nice especially with having a new hot stamp disc each year. Not everyone cares that much for those, but some do. Your renewal membership will be nice as well, since you will be getting updated everything along with that current years hot stamp disc.

Here you go:
You will have 3 Levels of Sanctioning
$0-$500 Cash added to entire event BRONZE LEVEL = $5 FEE
$501-$1000 Cash added to entire event SILVER LEVEL= $10 FEE
$1001-$1500 Cash added to entire event GOLD LEVEL = $15 FEE

$2 from each entry in your event will go directly to your state champs

All money for sanctioning your event under the TNPC will be added to the National Championship. You will know exactly how much is going to the national championship from the website as well.
Hope that helps!

Half of total cash will go to Pro's and half will go to the Amateurs that's the only requirement.

Are those fees per person or overall?

Those fees are for sanctioning a tournament only. If you want your tournament to be listed as Silver Level your sanctioning fee will be $10 to Sanction it.
$2/per player that participates will be taken out of the entry to send to your tnpc state championship.
No Non-Member fees will occur in this tournament series.
I hope that answers your question.

Quick update:
All Tournament Directors who host the TNPC State Championship in THEIR state, will receive not only $100 for compensation, but a bid into the TNPC National Championship as well. It's the least I could do for TD's that do what they do. It's much appreciated.

3ways to get a bid into the TNPC National Championship

1 All PDGA Reps will have a bid
2 Must place in the Top 2 of your division at your TNPC State Championship
3 TD's of their TNPC State Championship will receive a bid as well

Latest posts