• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official 'Ask Paul McBeth' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your advice for playing on a Mens open card with 3 players your unfamiliar with and are not very friendly? How do you keep your game going well when your pretty much stuck talking to yourself? Does it help or hurt your game to play along with people your friends with in a tournament?

Never have watched a star wars episode or movies so I don't have a problem with it.

WHHAATTTT???:eek: Bro you need to step away from the bag and relax for a few hours after the Christmas break and take in a few of the Star Wars movies..... :D Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas...

What is your advice for playing on a Mens open card with 3 players your unfamiliar with and are not very friendly? How do you keep your game going well when your pretty much stuck talking to yourself? Does it help or hurt your game to play along with people your friends with in a tournament?

I believe it should make you focus more, but it also allows you to get in your own head. When playing with others like that it requires you to be mentally strong. I think it might hurt to play with friends because you tend to slack a bit more.

WHHAATTTT???:eek: Bro you need to step away from the bag and relax for a few hours after the Christmas break and take in a few of the Star Wars movies..... :D Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas...

I hate to say it but I'm on his page. Never seen an episode or movie. Never appealed to me.

Alright, Final hole your tied for the lead. Your throw lands 20ft from the basket, the person your tied with lands 30ft away. He cans the putt. Whats going on in your head? How do you deal with knowing you HAVE to make the shot?

Alright, Final hole your tied for the lead. Your throw lands 20ft from the basket, the person your tied with lands 30ft away. He cans the putt. Whats going on in your head? How do you deal with knowing you HAVE to make the shot?

20ft its time to go to the backyard and picture this going in like practice. Forget the situation an just put it in

I have been having trouble lately with bouncing "tweener" mid/fairway discs in and out of my bag. I notice that you (at least at the time of your "in the bag" with Legacy) and a lot of other pros carry plenty of "tweener" distance/fairway drivers such as a Firebird or Teebird, but often don't carry anything in the "tweener" mid/fairway lineup... maybe something like a whippet or a gazelle.
For distance shots, I tend to always throw something slower if I am in doubt but I often find myself second guessing whether to power down a fairway or to crank on a mid (especailly on a relatively open shot). Believe it or not, wide open holes tend to force mistakes out of me much more than wooded holes due to my difficultly choosing and visualizing a particular line.
Is there any advice that you can offer that may help with the decision making process or is it simply just my confidence in shot selection that I will have to work on?

I have been having trouble lately with bouncing "tweener" mid/fairway discs in and out of my bag. I notice that you (at least at the time of your "in the bag" with Legacy) and a lot of other pros carry plenty of "tweener" distance/fairway drivers such as a Firebird or Teebird, but often don't carry anything in the "tweener" mid/fairway lineup... maybe something like a whippet or a gazelle.
For distance shots, I tend to always throw something slower if I am in doubt but I often find myself second guessing whether to power down a fairway or to crank on a mid (especailly on a relatively open shot). Believe it or not, wide open holes tend to force mistakes out of me much more than wooded holes due to my difficultly choosing and visualizing a particular line.
Is there any advice that you can offer that may help with the decision making process or is it simply just my confidence in shot selection that I will have to work on?

When in a open field and your in doubt just get a stable disc like a firebird or whatever you perfer and throw a hyzer. With a hyzer all you have to predict is the distance. A hyzer for rhbh will always go left so now its just judging the distance. My opinion

When in a open field and your in doubt just get a stable disc like a firebird or whatever you perfer and throw a hyzer. With a hyzer all you have to predict is the distance. A hyzer for rhbh will always go left so now its just judging the distance. My opinion

Thanks Paul. Do you ever find yourself second guessing disc selection if/when you are looking at an awkward distance or will the eye for that just come naturally in time? Is it generally best to throw the slowest disc that will get to your target in an open hole scenario in your opinion?

Thanks Paul. Do you ever find yourself second guessing disc selection if/when you are looking at an awkward distance or will the eye for that just come naturally in time? Is it generally best to throw the slowest disc that will get to your target in an open hole scenario in your opinion?

I second this question

Sweet thread; favorite replies:

Non sports realated I would be an architect. Thats what I went to school for and thats whats my Grandfather does so I learned young.
Nice!

My first discs were a 3 pack from Big 5 for christmas a orange dx cheetah, white shark and blue aviar. I started playing around 14
That's the official starter bag of natural athletes, I've heard.

Top 3 would be
1) P&A in KC plastic
2)Roc3 in KC plastic
3) Champion Gazelle
Nice! I've always said the Gazelle is crazy useful as a mini-Teebird. Also the tester P&A in KC was sweetness. The best DX are KC-stiff. Your dream config is the full P&A mold right? Not the tall-nose of the P2/Driver + beadless, but the legit P&A mold.

Never have watched a star wars episode or movies so I don't have a problem with it.
Maximum bonus.
Just guessing here -- have you ever been much of a video game player? I never owned a console and don't play games on comp/phone -- the only other 20s-30s people I hear this from are hardcore lifelong hobbies/sports folk.

Hey Paul, why does your copycat thread get stickied and MJ's hasn't? :D

But in all seriousness, really enjoyed watching you play in Charlotte this year, good luck next year!

lol, i contacted paul and asked him would he be willing to participate in this thread and he was cool with it!

i obviously got the idea from the great MJ thread which just keeps rolling along full steam ahead. the idea that these top pro's can interact and help with us DG'ers on all levels is a great thing indeed. imagine being a very young player just starting out, discovering this forum and having a question answered by a world champ - priceless.

the questions have been very good and paul has stepped up to the plate and delivered. some of the advice i'm reading here is just straight up on point!

Yes all the time and that is where your course preparation has to kick in. how did youthrow that hole in practice.

I like it. My mom mentioned doing it since she lives that show and then a few days later I was contacted by someone who works at Warner Brothers which is where the Ellen show is filmed.

If this becomes a confirmed thing you have got to let us know when to tune in. I never watch Ellen but if you're on there I will most definately be watching.

@ZAMson... I do play Xbox and video games but they are mostly sports related. Madden and tiger woods mostly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts