• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official First Dyes Thread

68064_407520405987751_1516955369_n.jpg

Nice Birds! Let me officially welcome you to your new addiction, my condolences to your friends and family. ;)

so I tried 2 discs for my first time

I touched the second one up with a little sharpie art ... is that considered bad form ? had fun learning ... have some ideas for more discs. iDye purple sucks on a yellow Blizzard btw.

1st attempt (I know it sucks but you gotta start somewhere)
140g Blizzard Wraith
248903_10151299275694238_1996431455_n.jpg

2nd attempt much better I think
131g Blizzard Krait
602645_10151299966599238_2009771329_n.jpg

I touched the second one up with a little sharpie art ... is that considered bad form ?

Bad form? Whatever works for you, dude.
Not as interesting from a dyeing perspective perhaps, but on the other hand the difference between that and q-tip dipped in dye is basically nonexistant.
The color won't last as well, though - from my experience. Which is also why I feel I cannot really evaluate sharpie jobs as a dye job - but only on its artistic merits as it looks in that instant. Because I know it will quickly look a lot different. If eligble at all.

An all sharpie job is just a tad less interesting from a process viewpoint - which is a large part of what makes me come back to this forum day in and day out.

Last edited:
Here is my first dye that I did yesterday. I wanted something fairly simple to start off with, and a "bird" theme since it is a TeeBird.

dye01.jpg

This is my 2nd... first was a realllllly butched word dye. lol

Also, I am the worst and shouldn't have picked something with so many cuts. lolol.

I LOVE THE way it turned out though :D

Attachments

• 252236_10151264778662748_1396306666_n.jpg
    252236_10151264778662748_1396306666_n.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 58
My first attempt:
Punisher.jpg

Used contact paper, and it bled through. I touched it up with a sharpie, and throw the heck out of it any ways.

My first dye. Tribal Dragon on a slightly beat Z Glide. The bleeding at the top had to have come from a wrinkle in the vinyl that went across a line. I didnt think it was a big deal but i learned the hard way lol. The stamp also caused some small bleeds because it was so deep. Cant wait to do another, hopefully the next will be sharp and bleed free.

IMG_20121210_165755_236.jpg

Can we get this stickied?

Well, not as vibrant as I had hoped. But not bad for a first attempt.
Maybe it's the proton plastic??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 156
CFR Glow Firebird:
1ghcoV9l.jpg

Tons of bleeds, off-kilter proportions, and slightly off center. Still love the damned thing, though...

picture.php

Did this medium vibram ascent last night really happy with how it turned out i think the bleeds actually really helped make it look even better

First Dye

Well after a long time lurking and admiring other people's dyes I've been inspired to try some of my own. I love the look of the shaving cream dyes, and the feel of flex plastic in the winter. So I grabbed a few white discs to dye bright colors. I wanted to dye both the front and back to give it maximum visibility in the snow. Here is my first attempt I finished a few days ago.
I think the shaving cream bed was too watered down and it caused some running. Also when I put the second plate on the back of the disc it slid around and messed up the design. Overall though I'm happy with how bright the iDye colors came out. The unfortunate side effect is that I'm now addicted to dying...

Attachments

• DSCN2397.jpg
    DSCN2397.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN2400.jpg
    DSCN2400.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN2402.jpg
    DSCN2402.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 47
First Dye

Here is my first dye job. I have been lurking the forums for a little while now admiring everyones work.

I used the brush on technique, I found some Rit from 2010 at my local hardware store but they only had purple. Used a 2 to 1 ratio of Dye and Alcohol.

After completing it I realized a couple things I did wrong, The image was too large so it bled at the edges, I cut the stencil with the original on top of the contact paper so I ended up not getting clean lines ( I am going to rig a light table for my next one) also I cut through the backing of the contact paper.

Any constructive criticism will be gratly appreciated

20130820_143454.jpg

Last edited:
@oneupmshrm I cut my stencils on top as well and have no problem with getting clean lines. More than likely, it's the contact paper. When i first started, I used a roll of contact paper and hardly had any bleeds. After purchasing 2 more rolls, they just bled all the time even without heating up the dye. Vinyl works great and I highly recommend it, just like most of the dyers here. Also make sure you're using sharp blades. I use a cutting mat as well. I feel like this will help preserve the sharpness of my blades longer.

When I cut with a "lighter hand", it's easier to cut cleaner and smoother.

Hope this helps.

@oneupmshrm I cut my stencils on top as well and have no problem with getting clean lines. More than likely, it's the contact paper. When i first started, I used a roll of contact paper and hardly had any bleeds. After purchasing 2 more rolls, they just bled all the time even without heating up the dye. Vinyl works great and I highly recommend it, just like most of the dyers here. Also make sure you're using sharp blades. I use a cutting mat as well. I feel like this will help preserve the sharpness of my blades longer.

When I cut with a "lighter hand", it's easier to cut cleaner and smoother.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info. I tried to keep even pressure when cutting but would notice after awhile I would unconciously be putting too much pressure. I guess I just have to find that "sweet spot". I also want to look into a cutting mat because I used a cutting board from the kitchen but it was not in the greatest shape.

Thanks again for the info it is greatly appreciated.

Latest posts