• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official First Dyes Thread

I don't know if I'm in the right thread for this, but here it goes...

First attempt at a shaving cream dye. Some of the dye slipped under the vinyl and into the Bengal logo, but it actually created a pretty neat exploding flame effect. This was done on a white Star Starfire. Who dey! :D

A Michigan "Bengals" fan??? I like it!!! :)

First dye

Too much heat so it bled a little but...don't care.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 47
Just finished my first dye today. I am really proud how it turned out. If anyone can explain why it possibly bled the way it did that would be handy before I start on my next one, but i think it adds character for my first.

Attachments

• IMG_1952_zps3d5cc87c.jpg
    IMG_1952_zps3d5cc87c.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1949_zpscec03797.jpg
    IMG_1949_zpscec03797.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1954_zps7d477521.jpg
    IMG_1954_zps7d477521.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 44
Just finished my first dye today. I am really proud how it turned out. If anyone can explain why it possibly bled the way it did that would be handy before I start on my next one, but i think it adds character for my first.

What type of vinyl are you using? How hot was your dye?

What type of vinyl are you using? How hot was your dye?

I ended up using contact paper after reading that some people use it without a problem and it was a cheaper alternative, but it was hard to cut detailed lines without "pulling" the paper.

I had the stove top set on 2. I could hold my hand to the side of the pan and leave it there. I also left it in for about 20 minutes and used Idye poly.

I would guess it was a contact paper problem. Was that a champ type disc? The more time you spend in the dye with contact paper the more likely the dye will seep under the edges. You have to make sure your edges are pressed down really well. It's much easier with good vinyl. Also make sure your disc is cleaned with a good cleaner before you start so the vinyl sticks cleanly. I try to avoid anything with a lotion in it that might leave oils on the disc. I typically wash with dish soap.

I would guess it was a contact paper problem. Was that a champ type disc? The more time you spend in the dye with contact paper the more likely the dye will seep under the edges. You have to make sure your edges are pressed down really well. It's much easier with good vinyl. Also make sure your disc is cleaned with a good cleaner before you start so the vinyl sticks cleanly. I try to avoid anything with a lotion in it that might leave oils on the disc. I typically wash with dish soap.

It was prodigy 400 series plastic. I washed with hot water and dawn dish soap really well before. I think i might try to get ahold of some good vinyl here pretty soon and try that. i might also try a cold dip and see if I get the same results as the first one.

I wanted to keep it simple with my first dyejob, especially since I throw the shizz out of this disc. I just dyed the underside of the plate because I dig the red rim. I may take it a little darker but I really like the smoked look as it is now, so I might leave it alone.
man, I did not need another way to spend money on disc golf :) too late to turn back though, 3 rolls of vinyl on the way and a half dozen jars of idye poly ready to go.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 82
My first dye not done yet gonna put black stencil on it just waiting for buddy to get me pic

Attachments

• IMG_20140323_214656.jpg
    IMG_20140323_214656.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 90
I wanted to keep it simple with my first dyejob, especially since I throw the shizz out of this disc. I just dyed the underside of the plate because I dig the red rim. I may take it a little darker but I really like the smoked look as it is now, so I might leave it alone.
man, I did not need another way to spend money on disc golf :) too late to turn back though, 3 rolls of vinyl on the way and a half dozen jars of idye poly ready to go.

Looks nice and clean. Welcome to the sickness!

ENo its with a bed of dish gel with laundry detergent dye mix...when I made my bed I used squirt bottle to spread.after I put bed down I shook the ****e outta of plate and it gave the bed them cool vains added red dye mix and placed disc down..

Ok this it the one I truly started first but didn't finish first...all done with contact paper and hand cut wit razor blade. Lettering was an experiment mix but like it. I'm so hooked to this..:clap:

Attachments

• IMG_20140325_021147.jpg
    IMG_20140325_021147.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 50
After reading a TON on the forum about different dye techniques, I decided to dive in head first. Here is my first go. Just a simple SC dye on a Star Vulcan. I'm looking forward to doing more!

First dyes

I am really proud of this one of my college mascot. It was the toughest with all of the small areas that I had to weed. APP! STATE!

I know, pretty boring with a Vulcan on a vulcan but I wanted to try on a junk disc and my dad likes Star Trek so he appreciated it.

ydp2Vqv.jpg

first successful dye! Tried twice before but with a dye that was no good. Found a $50 visa gift card and ordered some iDye poly. I was so excited when it came I rushed this one just to get it done. Its a 171 glow champ valk

Latest posts