• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Open @ Belmont Mar 19-21

Good job DGN

I'm sure it will be up on the Par Talk thread soon.

Here is what #13 looked like. From viewpoint of setting a standard par that would provide the most information about whether players were gaining or losing against the competition, par of 4 works best.

However, I suspect the hole doesn't give players enough of a chance to play errorlessly to allow the real par to be ascertained from scores. The chart below shows that with just a few more scores of two or three it would meet the cutoff: where par of 3 would have been the most useful, information-wise.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Belton13X2.png
    Belton13X2.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Belton13H2.png
    Belton13H2.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 20
Never heard a more annoying guy in the comment boot than the guy commenting with K Jones.
Luke Humphries? I thought he and Kevin had chemistry. I also appreciated how they paid attention to each throw. Sometimes Uli and Jerm (mostly Uli) won't cut himself off for the sake of the action. A player could have a 200 foot throw in, and Uli won't drop whatever story or bit he's on.

How would a small basket stop a drop in eagle?

Do you often find drop ins don't provide enough challenge?

They wouldn't and you should be AWARDED for a drop in eagle. Why should the guy who puts it to 2 feet get the same score the vast majority of time as the guy at 25-35 feet?

Why not reward the accurate shot by making the inaccurate shot worse?

Here is what #13 looked like. From viewpoint of setting a standard par that would provide the most information about whether players were gaining or losing against the competition, par of 4 works best.

However, I suspect the hole doesn't give players enough of a chance to play errorlessly to allow the real par to be ascertained from scores. The chart below shows that with just a few more scores of two or three it would meet the cutoff: where par of 3 would have been the most useful, information-wise.

attachment.php

It's a par 3 in need of a minute or 2 of saw work by my reckoning. Usually when our methods differ it leans towards mine yielding a higher par than yours- outlier.

Of all the holes at Belmont--the one I disliked was 17. That platform is awful.

Of all the holes at Belmont--the one I disliked was 17. That platform is awful.

Is the golf course itself still functioning? And is the dg course temporary for this event or permanently playable?

I was trying to get an idea by watching the tournament footage and the platform on 17 made me scratch my head. Looked like it's a permanent course, but also looks like they're gonna have some major erosion issues there over time.

Ultimately it came across as kind of a temporary course but they tried to add a couple of features to make it look nice but none of it really flowed.

In one of the videos they were talking about the fresh sod on the mound of the meat stick hole and how it was brand new and none of it had taken into the ground so you had gaps in the grass and everything was pretty much a roll away.

ADHD is fun sometimes...:doh:

There's a course near here called Belmont and between ADHD, dyslexia and the green stuff, my brain does weird things like that sometimes.

If it makes you feel better, I seen this thread a bunch of times before seeing coverage pop up on youtube. When I seen the videos, my brain read it as "Belmont" a for a few more times than I'd like to admit, and because of this thread title.

It's a par 3 in need of a minute or 2 of saw work by my reckoning. Usually when our methods differ it leans towards mine yielding a higher par than yours- outlier.

I think you're right. Now, let's hope the guy with the saw knows enough to leave the trees that define the main line of play, but take away some of those off to the sides that are preventing any chance of successful recovery throws.

Is the golf course itself still functioning? And is the dg course temporary for this event or permanently playable?

I was trying to get an idea by watching the tournament footage and the platform on 17 made me scratch my head. Looked like it's a permanent course, but also looks like they're gonna have some major erosion issues there over time.

Ultimately it came across as kind of a temporary course but they tried to add a couple of features to make it look nice but none of it really flowed.

In one of the videos they were talking about the fresh sod on the mound of the meat stick hole and how it was brand new and none of it had taken into the ground so you had gaps in the grass and everything was pretty much a roll away.

Nope. Its only disc golf. Not sure why they made those changes so recently.
It is not a great course but it would play more challenging in mid summer when the leaves are in.

Last edited:
That was a fun watch - thanks GKPro. Liked that course a lot, although the par ratings were a tad outrageous. Great mix of woods and open, scenic and beautiful. Having a Ricky Paul shootout was the icing. Luke and Kevin's commentary was low key and good as well.

Just watched the final round. Par is wonky, not that it matters. Just call 13 a par 4 and fix some of the tweener holes. Otherwise a decent course.

More important than the course design or the par: HOLY CRAP PAUL AND RICKY GOING AT IT!!! That was a blast to watch no matter what course it happened on. Putting was the difference. Ricky was lights out under pressure and Paul faltered. Paul missing that obstructed birdie putt and then Ricky coming up to the same spot and canning it was perfection. Good to see Ricky get the best of Paul, felt like he was due to come out on top in one of their duels. The competition overshadowed the course issues for me.

Okay, now you all can go back to complaining about par, course design, and rules

Latest posts