• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] The Putt or Approach Dilemma

kinger

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Always had trouble with those shots that land between long putts and very short approaches.
For me this is typically the 50'-75' range from the basket.

My putting isn't strong enough and I'll usually leave the putter stance shot well short.
Stand still reach-back approaches I can get closer, but with less accuracy so neither is comfortable.
I've used putters and mids (Ion, Wizard, Warlock, Buzzz, Spider, Fuse) with both stances with very little consistency.

After reviewing flight charts, and whatnot for tweener putt/mid options, I seem to have zeroed in on the Innova Dart.
Something straight in that Speed 3 range where options seem to be limited and dominated by Innova.

Looking for feedback or suggestions if I'm on the right track.
Pro Plastic would likely be my preference with the Dart options.

I'd recommend working on adding a jump putt to your bag of tricks. Use your normal putting putter and try some field work concentrating on that range.

I would say go with what works for you now...and keep working on your putting because it will be more accurate long-term. I just putt from a staggered stance at those distances and it makes a big difference to me. Many also jump putt. Have you ever tried a flick approach instead of backhand? That may be easier and more accurate for you as well. Anyway, at that distance as long as your disc isn't super OS you will be fine.

I'd recommend working on adding a jump putt to your bag of tricks. Use your normal putting putter and try some field work concentrating on that range.

That's the right idea, but don't think of it as a jump putt. Think about using your rear leg to generate the power, and as you get further away from the basket that power causes you to follow through past your marker. The point isn't to jump, it's to push with your legs rather than just your arm so that you can keep basically the same arm motion at different distances which allows you to be more consistent and accurate.

I just modify my putter stance a bit for longer shots. Instead of squaring up with the basket I will open up a bit more like an approach shot so I can get more reachback, not totally shoulder pointing at the basket but enough that I can clear my body going back. I can usually get the longer putts pretty close with that.

This is quite a dilemma that happens in disc golf. I think you just have to experiment and see what you prefer since I think it's pretty difficult to try to sink a putt from 70 feet but it can also be difficult to make a good toss at the basket. Personally, I would lightly throw from that distance and would only opt to putt from maybe 50 feet away (which is still a throwy sort of putt at that range).

I was fortunate enough to attend a little putting clinic that Paul McBeth did here at the Disc Golf Mart and I asked him at what distance he would decide to putt instead of doing an approach shot. He said that he would go for a putt from about 70 feet out (I'm sure probably even further, knowing his skill). So that was straight from McBeth himself. At 70 feet I would likely try to shoot at the basket instead of "putt" because I cannot get that kind of distance and accuracy from my putting motion. It all comes down to your own abilities and preferences. Practice and experiment.

That's the right idea, but don't think of it as a jump putt. Think about using your rear leg to generate the power, and as you get further away from the basket that power causes you to follow through past your marker. The point isn't to jump, it's to push with your legs rather than just your arm so that you can keep basically the same arm motion at different distances which allows you to be more consistent and accurate.

Nerve damage in my right foot doesn't allow me to fully push off with both legs, and I'm a lefty.

I want to use a putting stance at that distance to help w/ accuracy. Just thinking a tweener disc like the Dart or Classic Roc may help at these distances.

I like the stand still reach-back around 70ft, since your complaint with that is accuracy. Are you using a power grip? I'd suggesting trying a fan grip for those approaches which give you more control. Just another option if you haven't tried it.

Last edited:
As far as disc suggestions I would recommend a Comet in X plastic, ~170 grams.

As for your throw you should experiment with starting with the disc down by your knees. You want to use your legs as much as possible. Another option would be to do some "field work" throwing from your putting stance as hard as you can.

One last thought is you could try a super overstable disc.

OR as it just pops into my head, maybe you should try a lid.

Get your wizard out...or something slow and glidey. Then get a buddy and play catch for an hour or two. Play around with a tiny short reachback with a firm grip. Give it a good little rip. Practice some nose up annies...they are money for drifting in and stalling out at that range.

This worked wonders for me :thmbup:

Also I'll second the sidearm approach suggestion. Same basic thing but even more consistent for me. I use a soft suspect on an Annie line. Flexes out easily and fades hard. Throw it low and it won't overshoot.

I have had decent success using my Proton Tangent for long putts. It carries better than a putter for a distance putt and it feels perfectly natural for this shot. Also the Tangent is a pretty versatile disc so you would get a lot of use out of it besides just long putts.

Playing catch definitely helps with these distances...

Think about it. If you're playing a casual round with your buddy and he asks you to toss a disc back to him that he might have thrown earlier and he's within 50-90 feet of you, do you even think about how to throw the disc? Probably not. It could be a brand new Stilleto or a 4/10 DX Kite and you're still going to land it at his feet if not hit him. Over-thinking the short shot is a common problem.

I commit to a throw. I like to use my putter with a little anhyzer. The disc starts on the left edge of the chains and drives into the right edge of the chains. I try to keep the lateral movement to less than a yard. The Dart should work great. I like this shot because if I miss the comeback putt is usually 15 feet or less.

Great responses above. It's not the disc, it's you. A little practice and it'll be natural with any disc in your bag ... backhand, forehand, overhand, roller ... work 'em all.

I keep a light weight birdie in the bag for these shots. 30-150 footers(no or little wind) you can give it chance to float into the basket with out blowing a mile past, or just lay up with it. I do not expect to make putts or ups from outside the circle , so i am layin it up if there is any trouble or slope to contend with. but thats just average amature attitude/course management. with lots of practice, you might get confident in that 60 ft jump putt. or that 30 ft come back when you miss the 60 footer.....

I either jump putt (with a Summit) or BH a Polecat depending on length, ceiling, etc. I highly recommend a Polecat/Rattler/Birdie etc for shots like this, it doesn't take much practice to flirt with hitting metal from a good ways away and when you miss they don't blow by that far.

This range gave/gives me a lot of trouble too. I had little success with what felt most natural, which was basically the same way I'd throw a frisbee. This meant holding the disc like I would to putt and trying to release my grip at the right time to get the right angle and direction.

I have found that changing to a less powerful grip and pulling through on a line from a standstill has helped my consistency a lot. I use a threefinger/birdie grip. More recently I've also made sure I keep my eye on the target rather than the quick lookback that a midrange shot would call for.

In general I also find overstable and/or glideless discs thrown on a gentle hyzer to be even better. Helps if you can go with something less likely to roll. People can't shut up about soft discs and blowflies etc for touchy approaches but I think the mold matters more if you need it to hit and stick. I dig my champ rhyno for this shot.

Another thing - if you want to try the steady reachback and grip I suggested earlier, go with max weight discs for more consistent release!

Finally, I had the same thought with the dart - the combination of flight numbers and flexy r-pro plastic add up to the perfect apporach disc on paper. I know some people like darts but personally I HATE the way they feel in my hand. Something to check out in a store or at the course before a purchase! :thmbup:

At one point I was using a skeeter for this range and it helped out a lot because of how straight it flies. Now I use an Omega SuperSoft, because its so soft, I don't have to worry about it landing and then rolling farther away from the basket. The Omega SuperSoft putter hits and sticks.

Latest posts