• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The "right" thing to do

The "right" thing to do is purely an opinion. I'm sure the guy wishes he had the disc back, but honestly he probably already thinks he'll never get it back. If I were you I would get to know him better, and once you know him on a more personal level you can judge for yourself if you think he deserves it back.. that way if you're playing with him and he starts screaming at some kids... you can just sit back and think "Haha.. nice.. i got a 11x FB".

You seriously threw it back in the bush? That is pretty weird. Why not just tell the guy you got all cut up and tell him when that happens you require a $5 finder's fee? I ink all the discs I want returned to me with a $5 Reward next to my number. Works okay.

Let's hope that the jerk doesn't read this thread and catch wind of you having his 11x teebird :p

Interesting thread. Like many of you, I was sidelined for a moment by the details of D-baggery, cool Tbirds, versions of "rightness", trading of found discs, attempted returns, etc.

Then I re-read the last line of the original post --- "If anyone can shed some moral light that would be great."

And since the OP is a fellow Tennessean, I will gladly offer a bit of hard-learned moral light:

It is never wrong to do what is right.

This isn't a disc golf question. It is a question of integrity. Dramatic, huh? :)

Ron "if you know me - you would expect nothing less" Pittman

It's not complicated. The guy's name and number are on the disc. It's his. All of the rest of this is irrelevant. Call him and offer to return it. If he fails to return the call, try once more. If he doesn't respond after two tries, the disc is yours.

Gippy made a good point - the disc is full of negative energy. If you have to ask the question then you probably already know the answer. Get rid of it. You will never be able to throw it without it's bad mojo running thru your head. Maybe he'll tell you to keep it. Maybe he won't. Is your integrity worth the price of a piece of plastic? Reward yourself for being the bigger man by going out and getting a disc you've always really wanted.

I don't ink my discs with anything other than what the PDGA requires for tournament play.
If I throw an errant shot, and can't find it, it's gone. If someone else finds it, score for them.

It's just a scrap of molded plastic, It's not important.

I'd give it back. I find that when I'm at my best I'm doing my best for others. Life's way too short to sweat the little stuff.

I wouldn't keep it for the fact that the guy is a Dbag. That disc carries negative energy with it. Give it to the step son and let him give it back. Not giving it back is bad karma. My $0.02

IMHO, this is the answer to the OP's angst.

If you feel guilty, call him once and if you don't talk to him, leave a voicemail (just my opinion). Don't listen to this, "Bad karma/energy" stuff if you don't believe in it. It's your choice, do what you feel is right/moral, not what others feel is right/moral, because everyone has different values and beliefs, it's what makes us human.

The "right" thing to do is purely an opinion. I'm sure the guy wishes he had the disc back, but honestly he probably already thinks he'll never get it back. If I were you I would get to know him better, and once you know him on a more personal level you can judge for yourself if you think he deserves it back.. that way if you're playing with him and he starts screaming at some kids... you can just sit back and think "Haha.. nice.. i got a 11x FB".

Second. First get to know the "d-bag" and then judge.

Interesting thread. Like many of you, I was sidelined for a moment by the details of D-baggery, cool Tbirds, versions of "rightness", trading of found discs, attempted returns, etc.

Then I re-read the last line of the original post --- "If anyone can shed some moral light that would be great."

And since the OP is a fellow Tennessean, I will gladly offer a bit of hard-learned moral light:

It is never wrong to do what is right.

This isn't a disc golf question. It is a question of integrity. Dramatic, huh? :)

Ron "if you know me - you would expect nothing less" Pittman

Integrity's a nuisance. It takes away all the good excuses for bad behavior, especially the one where you base your own bad behavior on somebody else's. Who needs the burden?

This does bring to mind a favorite Mark Twain quote: "Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."

I recently found a guys brand new first run pro pig in the water. I didn't know him, but my friend said he was around. I gave him back the disc and it ways worth it to see the joy on his face!

I'll always try to return lost discs. Anyone that doesn't respond back, I just hang on to it. I have a box in my car where they just sit.

alot of people will write their name on an unmarked found disc and put it right in their bag , so maybe this guy never owned it to begin with.

Original owner(?) has been called once, by the OP's friend. He hasn't responded in over 6 months. OP traded for the disc fair and square, it's his.

I bought a disc that had been fished out of a local disc pond then traded to a guy for a cheaper disc. Once guy figured out how much it was worth he decided to sell it, I thought it was a good price., It has 2 sets of info on it. One of them is a nice guy that is a local at my home course. I traded and paid $30 for it and am not psyched about a $30 loss for some karma, but I want to get it back to him but don't really want to ask for $30, or anything for that matter.