• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] THE Roc3 Thread

There is a difference between the "flat" normal champs and the super flat abrupt shoulder of the big bird run. I still haven't seen any more like them, which is fine because I didn't care for their lack of high speed stability.

So looking at them side by side today it appears that the main difference in the roc and roc3 is that the roc3 has a slightly less blunted nose. I couldn't tell much else by looking but the rim on the roc3 felt more 'hefty' in the hand.

Anyone gone back to Roc's after dabbling in the Roc-3 world?

I like the Roc3 and used them a lot last year but have since gone back. Maybe it's just a case of know what you throw. Just got a DX Roc3 to try out though.

i'd like to see another run of flat big bird champ roc3's.. or just flat champ roc3's.

Very happy I stocked up on the Big Bird Roc3's, really digging them and it has been a staple of my bag since they were released. :thmbup:

Quite surprised by the price of the McPro's, didn't realize that people were asking so much for them now. Wow. Now I wish I had snagged a few more of them as well. :doh:

Holy.. what a disc!

Full disclosure: Roc thrower for 10 years, then a Buzzz for the last 10. I got a Roc3 from a tournament a few years ago. Finally threw it last night, at league, for almost every shot I might add. Very windy. I was hitting like every line with this disc - it feels so good! Now, I'm confused on what to throw!!

A few observations:
I liked that I could do a 4-finger power grip with the Roc3, while a traditional Roc mold I tend to do a 2-finger pinch.
I'm thinking this (180g, glow CH) Roc3 has a place in the bag, next to the Buzz.

Very happy I stocked up on the Big Bird Roc3's, really digging them and it has been a staple of my bag since they were released. :thmbup:

Quite surprised by the price of the McPro's, didn't realize that people were asking so much for them now. Wow. Now I wish I had snagged a few more of them as well. :doh:
I am patiently waiting for them to be released, I want to try this mold out.

Anyone gone back to Roc's after dabbling in the Roc-3 world?

I like the Roc3 and used them a lot last year but have since gone back. Maybe it's just a case of know what you throw. Just got a DX Roc3 to try out though.

Me. I got a Star Roc3 in a trade. Hated it and went back to Ranchos then Ghosts.

I threw a Roc3 for about a year two years ago, and not I'm on Bards(dig that high shoulder) but I got a Metal Flake Roc3 and it's really easy to get good lines with just an extra tick of stability that I always craved in a Roc3.

I keep a fresh, max weight rancho in the bag for the shots that must fade left/huge headwind, but for my straight/US mid, the roc 3 is like a very worn in rancho. My first mcpro finally got too understable to be reliable, but that was a test run from the pro shop, so it lasted a few years. My second one (2014 run) is right in the sweet spot now after ~6 months of bag time. I could still switch in a slightly lighter, worn KC and not feel lost, but they are way more stable when fresh.

I like the roc3 for what it is super straight minimal fade. But sometimes I need the fade of a roc. So for now the roc3 is sidelined because it's too damn straight. Not a bad thing just no need for that in my bag for the courses I play.

I've found a Roc3 setup that really works well for me, but it takes some seasoning and finding the right discs. OS to US:

177 Glow Champ (Domey. Strong fade and holds up to wind.)
180 Champion (Very flat and 1.5 years seasoned. May add something between this and glow as continues to season. Holds any line.)
180 McPro (Newest run - pretty new, thrown less than 15 rounds. Goes straight and far with soft fade.)
180 McPro (2014 run - well seasoned. Holds straight to turnover lines with no real noticeable fade unless thrown downhill or with low power. Beautiful anny lines.)
180 Pro (Proshop test run - pretty beat and good for L-R, tailwinds, rollers and touch forehands)

I don't feel I'm missing any lines although I do feel it would be easier to get a regular Roc cycle going with similar results due to disc availability. Those McPros get expensive after the Factory Store sells out!

So I've been testing out Roc3s (again). I cycle KC Rocs in the summer. I'm giving Roc3s a shot at my tournament bag this year though. I've got a few Champs, DXs & a Star. I haven't thrown the Star yet. I have zero experience with GStar. So what's the consensus on GStar & Star? How do they compare to stock Champion Roc3s? Are they more or less overstable? Are the Star Roc3s glidless turds like Star Rocs?

So I've been testing out Roc3s (again). I cycle KC Rocs in the summer. I'm giving Roc3s a shot at my tournament bag this year though. I've got a few Champs, DXs & a Star. I haven't thrown the Star yet. I have zero experience with GStar. So what's the consensus on GStar & Star? How do they compare to stock Champion Roc3s? Are they more or less overstable? Are the Star Roc3s glidless turds like Star Rocs?

I only have 1 GStar Roc3 (an early one and pretty flat). It's actually a great Roc. It started out a little more overstable than a champ, but with nice glide. After some seasoning, it is still pretty great with just a little turn now. I've heard other people talk about getting GStars that were less stable though, so I don't know whether they are very consistent.

I found my Star Roc3s to be like my Champion Roc3s: straight with fade at the end. Not glideless. I'd thought to have the Star Roc3 as my straight-to-fade mid and the Champ Roc3 to be my OS mid... but the Champ Roc3 wasn't all that overstable.

As to GStar, I had a Factory Second GStar a while back. Board flat disc, flew like the other Roc3s.

The Roc3 is so much closer to the coveted 8X Roc/Proto KC than the recent years runs of the Roc. I don't know when the mold changed but I had a hard time finding anything I liked and breaking 8X and Proto KC's gets very expensive. I got frustrated and actually switched to Truth's for a while. Now I am happily throwing the Roc3. Would love to have an over stable one. I can only dream that is what the Roc3X is going to be.

I only have 1 GStar Roc3 (an early one and pretty flat). It's actually a great Roc. It started out a little more overstable than a champ, but with nice glide. After some seasoning, it is still pretty great with just a little turn now. I've heard other people talk about getting GStars that were less stable though, so I don't know whether they are very consistent.

I have 4 G* Roc3s (2 flat, 2 domey) and the two domey ones were/are the most stable. I have been throwing a 173gr red domed one for two years and it's been a sweet disc. Surprisingly, one of my new 180gr flat ones has the highest PLH and isn't as stable as the two year old one is now. Still a good Roc though.

I would like to find a domey champ and see if it flies any more stable than my flat champ.

I picked up some color glow dx roc3s at a tourney with some funny money. I don't normally throw roc3, and I'm not sure if I'll throw these, but I had to get them because the plastic wasn't like any dx i've ever felt - more like star. Not sure if that's how dx color glow feels or if this is a unique run.