• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Savant

The savent is being reported as being much more HSS.

My Valkyries, especially the flat-top Star Valks, are plenty HSS.

Anyhoo, the point I was making is that the Savant may well be a solution in search of a problem to solve...

i would say that if your Valks are pretty stable, you'd have no need for the Savant. for me, its more stable than a Valk. i tend to throw Valks pretty straight to slightly US. i don't carry Valks regularly, i use Thunderbirds for that slot and use my Savant as the most OS in that section of control drivers

Terrible name

A savant is someone who knows a great deal about a subject. It's akin to someone being an expert among experts in one nuanced area.

Savant syndrome is named AFTER the original word. I'm not a fan of the name (largely because in this discussion the disc seems to be not super awesome at one thing), but that is what it actually means.

A savant is someone who knows a great deal about a subject. It's akin to someone being an expert among experts in one nuanced area.

Savant syndrome is named AFTER the original word. I'm not a fan of the name (largely because in this discussion the disc seems to be not super awesome at one thing), but that is what it actually means.

Who cares

Barely anyone is aware of the distinction.

It's a terrible name for multiple reasons. I'm shocked axiom didn't already have it copyrighted.

My pearly yellow green Champion Savant is a disc I have grown to rely on. It doesn't seem to deviate from the flight you'd expect... straight as can be, then a moderate fade, not much skip. I love this disc. It has almost the same D that I get from a Destroyer if I'm not trying to get any hyzer flip, but the line is much more controlled with the Savant.

I like to throw slight hyzer release. A new Star TL is probably the closest disc in flight to the Savant.

What I'm most impressed with is, the Savant does not get squirrely in low to moderate wind. I've even thrown it into pure 15 mph headwinds and it might flip a little, but it fights it. I carry a lot of molds, but maybe I just need some Savants in different stages of wear. This disc is really sweet.

disclaimer: I work for Innova... but I play disc golf for money, so I only throw discs that work AND I trust.

My pearly yellow green Champion Savant is a disc I have grown to rely on. It doesn't seem to deviate from the flight you'd expect... straight as can be, then a moderate fade, not much skip. I love this disc. It has almost the same D that I get from a Destroyer if I'm not trying to get any hyzer flip, but the line is much more controlled with the Savant.

I like to throw slight hyzer release. A new Star TL is probably the closest disc in flight to the Savant.

What I'm most impressed with is, the Savant does not get squirrely in low to moderate wind. I've even thrown it into pure 15 mph headwinds and it might flip a little, but it fights it. I carry a lot of molds, but maybe I just need some Savants in different stages of wear. This disc is really sweet.

disclaimer: I work for Innova... but I play disc golf for money, so I only throw discs that work AND I trust.
I know what you mean. When I read the ratings of -1, 2 I thought perfect BH bomber but not for FH. When I got mine I decided that I would try it FH. It flew like a Thunderbird. It's OS but still bombs.

I couldn't get mine up to speed. It is definitely more stable than a Champ Viking.

It is definitely more disc than a Viking. I remember the Viking being more finessey. I like discs that are torque resistant. I throw pretty hard... not wild, but hard. The Savant holds up to my throws, but not in an overstable way, in a stable straight way. It hits that happy place where it just wants to glide forward.

I also think it works well for sidearm. But I am not known for my sidearm. I'm more of an anhyzer sidearmer.

Savant

Threw one of these about 10 times today. Observations:

Its beefy. Straight disc, even into a decent breeze. Slow. Not sure what the Savant is rated, but it seemed noticeably slower than a Valk or Thunderbird. Glide was meh.

I guess I'd say it flies like a Champion Starfire, but about 2 speeds slower. Its definitely not a long disc. It flies stubbornly and doesn't penetrate well. Decent stable fairway driver. It is accurate at least because you know what it'll do when it leaves your hand.

On a side note, the champion plastic blend used for the Savant is gorgeous.

If I rated the Savant I'd say 8, 4, 0, 3. It doesn't have a really super dump fade like some overstable discs, but it also isn't going to flip on you either.

So, these are only available in limited runs for special events? Tournaments, fund-raisers, etc.?

So, these are only available in limited runs for special events? Tournaments, fund-raisers, etc.?

Far as I know, yes. I haven't heard much about the Savant in general lately. Frankly, unless you're an Innova fan or collector I wouldn't go out of your way to get one. The Savant doesn't do anything a Teebird or Thunderbird won't.

Far as I know, yes. I haven't heard much about the Savant in general lately. Frankly, unless you're an Innova fan or collector I wouldn't go out of your way to get one. The Savant doesn't do anything a Teebird or Thunderbird won't.

That's not true. I can get both 'birds farther.

Picked up a couple factory seconds, 168g. Threw one for the first time yesterday. Flight-wise, I agree with most of what folks have posted here.

I couldn't get mine up to speed. It is definitely more stable than a Champ Viking.

I could see that. Mine started fading pretty early in the flight.

On a side note, the champion plastic blend used for the Savant is gorgeous.

Yes it is, beautiful shimmering stuff.

Savant was pretty beefy. No high speed turn at all. I agree it was sluggish. I need to go throw mine some more to get more of an opinion on it. I just remember it being short and slow.

Savant was pretty beefy. No high speed turn at all. I agree it was sluggish. I need to go throw mine some more to get more of an opinion on it. I just remember it being short and slow.

Yeah - looks like a great headwind disc to me.

So kinda the equivalent of a pretty Groove?

The Savant does pretty much what its supposed to. Its an overstable fairway driver. The Groove is simply a glideless turd masquerading as a long distance driver.

I think the only reason the Savant is unpopular is that there are already numerous molds that fly the same. The Thunderbird comes readily to mind.

The Savant does pretty much what its supposed to. Its an overstable fairway driver. The Groove is simply a glideless turd masquerading as a long distance driver.

I think the only reason the Savant is unpopular is that there are already numerous molds that fly the same. The Thunderbird comes readily to mind.

Agree. Especially about the atrocity that is the Groove.

IIRC, the Savant was first put out as a CFR disc, and never gained popularity. A similar situation may be the Mystere. The Mystere was put out as a Shimmer Star CFR disc, and was not liked at all. IMHO the Shimmer Star is what made it bad, as regular Star Mysteres are good flyers (and I haven't tried a GStar Mystere, but people who have love 'em)... but the damage was done; the potential popularity was gone.

So maybe these discs will gain some popularity as normal runs in normal plastics. Time will tell, on that.

Latest posts