• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The spread of rule mis-information

denny ritner

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I am amazed at the extent to which mythical rule interpretations spread in this sport. It starts with the fact that only about 1 out of 20 golfers carry a rule book with them in their bags. Then, a well known golfer states their opinion about a rule (without having a rule book in their hand) and that opinion spreads like wildfire.

Examples:

1) Shortly after the lost disc rule changed to stroke and distance, I played in a tournament and had a discussion with a player who had been bullied into taking stroke and distance for a disc that he threw into a pond in plain site of the group, because the disc was "lost" in the pond. Turns out the former TD of the Orlando Open (a B-tier) insisted that he was right and forced his will on the group. Nobody in the group had a rules book on them and the player that suffered had never even heard of the provisional rule.

2) There is a common misconception that this verbage applies to discs thrown OB:
"H. The player may not retrieve the originally thrown disc prior to the re-throw, except in the case of a putt from within 10 meters. Where a disc is retrieved in violation of this rule, a one throw penalty shall be imposed without a warning."
Nope, it applies to stance violations. Maybe it should apply to OB's as well, but it does not. It is common, however, to remember something from the rules and say that it applies, even though the rule book has never been consulted. Suddenly, there is mass consensus that a rule exists, which in fact does not. (ala, aluminum tubes and yellow cake)

3) I finally got myself a copy of the 2010 Players Cup video. On hole 12 of the final match, Bradley Williams marked his lie (about 25 ft. from the basket), prior to Nikko Locastro getting to his lie (about 45 ft. from the basket). The announcer Billy Crump, then chastises Bradley for not knowing the rules and that some day some pro is going to make him putt within 30 seconds of marking his lie, because that's the rule. Sorry, NOT TRUE. This is no indictment of Billy's commentary for making a single mistake, but just to point out the power that a noted "expert" can bring as thousands of people watch the video and start to propagate the myth.

From the rulebook:
"801.03 Excessive Time:
A. A maximum of 30 seconds is allowed to each player to make a throw after:
(1) the previous player has thrown; and,
(2) the player has taken a reasonable time
to arrive at the disc and mark the lie; and,
(3) the playing area is clear and free
of distractions."

So #1 never occured as Nikko was the "previous player" and had never reached his disc, let alone thrown his shot. There is nothing in the rules to prohibit a player marking his lie before the away player has thrown. (It could be a courtesy violation if the away player was at his/her lie getting ready to putt and the closer player walked up in front of them to mark their lie.)

Again, I am not picking on Billy, just using this as an example of how mis-information spreads.

Y'all, please carry your rule book with you in your bag and when a question about a rule comes up take out the book and READ IT!

Very cool. This came up in todays game, and I shot it down. I am the one of twenty. I always have a rule book in my bag.

Also: I just had cake... cause it's my birthday. :)

I'd just like to point out that it's legal to mark your lie by placing your marker disc anywhere on the line of play as long as it is touching your disc, so you can place it in front or behind or underneath. It doesn't have to be only in front.

Also, they are changing the rule next year so that you can no longer advance beyond your lie without first demonstrating balance, even outside 10 meters.

Additionally, you can optionally mark a lie behind a tree when the disc is in front of the tree, rather than playing the lie as stated in the rules by not picking up your disc, and not marking the lie, but taking your stance directly behind the tree.

Finally, it's legal to kneel on a towel in the fairway when taking a stance.

Last edited:
Several online stores sell them, the pdga sends you one once you join, and you could probably get one off pdga.com

This weekend at the tourny i was at, we had to tell the TD that stroke and distance was not a rule! Someone had told him that it was a new rule. You should have seen Jeremy Koling's face when the TD said "stroke and distance" is in play.

Also, they are changing the rule next year so that you can no longer advance beyond your lie without first demonstrating balance, even outside 10 meters.

so you won't ever be allowed to have a follow through ever again? Somehow I doubt this.

That rule change about having to show balance outside of 10m is a rumor, exactly the mis-information we're talking about.

I'd just like to point out that it's legal to mark your lie by placing your marker disc anywhere on the line of play as long as it is touching your disc, so you can place it in front or behind or underneath. It doesn't have to be only in front.

I disagree, must be in front: 803.03 A. After each throw, the thrown disc must be left where it came to rest until the lie is established by the placing of a marker. This can be done by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface between the hole and the disc, directly in line with the hole, on the line of play, touching the thrown disc.

Without further qualification this is highly unlikely, otherwise you couldn't follow through on drives. Unless you're claiming that your follow through has to be behind your lie as well--which isn't going to happen. Where are you getting this info from? The only possible rule change I've heard about from credible sources is that the Q&A section on the PDGA site will become official interpretations of the rules.

Additionally, you can optionally mark a lie behind a tree when the disc is in front of the tree, rather than playing the lie as stated in the rules by not picking up your disc, and not marking the lie, but taking your stance directly behind the tree.

I disagree again, the following rules demonstrate that if the relief you describe is taken, it comes at the cost of a penalty stroke:

A. Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described in 803.05 B, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, picnic tables, etc), which is considered part of the course. A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play. A player must choose the stance which results in the least movement of any obstacle. Once a legal stance is taken, the player may not move an obstacle in any way in order to make room for a throwing motion. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to cause incidental movement of an obstacle.

B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are in the stance or run-up area: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the director before the round. The player must first attempt to remove the obstacle. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the hole, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie, as agreed to by a majority of the group or an official (unless greater casual relief is announced by the director).

C. Optional Relief: A player may declare that he or she is taking optional relief. The lie may then be relocated to a new lie that is no closer to the hole, and on the line of play. The original throw plus one penalty throw are counted in the player's score.

This I agree with.

@ IronJack - It's the solid object relief rule 803.04E that allows you to use the object as your mark if you don't have room to take a stance in front of it.

You're right, I'd forgotten that, particularly since it's in another section. Looking it over again though, it isn't really an optional thing though is it? Seems more like it's an absolute last resort if a legal stance is utterly impossible, that is, if you can get a support point within 30cm of the rear of the mini and no other point forward of it, then you must throw from that position. Otherwise I don't see much point to 803.05 B.

images

/sigh

and I thought everyone knew about these recent flamewars.

The first one was blatantly false.

The second a rumor that keeps rearing it's head, and Chuck confirmed that the ONLY thing the rules committee plans is to make the online rules FAQ as binding and official as the rules themselves.

The third is an interpretation by Chuck that he says is normal practice even among RC members, and perfectly fine.

As for the fourth, apparently, the aforementioned rules FAQ specifically says you can't use a towel like that, becasue the rule says towels are ok on the tee. Most people interpret it as OK in the fairway too in spite of the rules FAQ, but it will become undeniably illegal next year to use a towel like that off the tee. At least, that's what I read over on PDGA.com discussion forum. ;-)

Have fun now!

"with a maximum compressed thickness of 1 centimeter" (from the Rules Q&A)

I used a towel at the Charlotte Am's at Renny when I had a lie that literally could not stand behind as I kept sliding away on the clay. As I was crawling back up the hill on my hands and knees, the towel came to mind.

This was after a co-competitor had gotten into casual water and then wanted to take "free" relief back up the other side of the creek bed because the lie was "unsafe". I got a TD and he ruled that the creek bank could be considered "casual water" and allowed the player relief up the side. I thought was a very "slippery slope" ruling that allow players in about 10% of situations at Renny to take casual relief from slippery ground. For 2012 worlds, I'd recommend that they make this particular creek either OB or a buncr, with the line being placed at the top of the creek bank.

/sigh

As for the fourth, apparently, the aforementioned rules FAQ specifically says you can't use a towel like that, becasue the rule says towels are ok on the tee. Most people interpret it as OK in the fairway too in spite of the rules FAQ, but it will become undeniably illegal next year to use a towel like that off the tee. At least, that's what I read over on PDGA.com discussion forum. ;-)

Jen, thanks for playing the game, you got me ;)

Here's the full quote from the Rules Q&A:
"2006.15 : Kneeling on a towel

Question - A player's shot lands in a spot that has very hard, rocky ground. Can she place a towel or pad down in order to prevent abrasions to her body (or to keep her knee/clothes clean and/or dry)?

Important Note (4/15/08): Previously we had ruled that this was not permitted. This opinion reverses that ruling.

Response

Applicable Rules: 802.04 Artificial Devices, 803.05 (Obstacles and Relief) C, 803.04 (Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off) A.1
802.04 allows the use of items that reduce or control abrasion. Towels or pads may fulfill this purpose. Assuming that the unsafe items on the playing surface are not subject to removal or relief under PDGA rule 803.05.C (which covers relief from obstacles to one's stance), she is allowed to place a towel or small pad under any body part, with the exception of her feet (which should already be covered by protective devices such as shoes).
Note: She may move items under 803.05 C and also use a towel or small pad under her knee.

A "small pad" is defined as being 1 centimeter or less in thickness, when compressed.

Conclusion - One may use a towel or small pad (with a maximum compressed thickness of 1 centimeter) in order to prevent harm/abrasions to the body during competitive play. A towel or pad may be used under one's foot only on the tee box."

Hilarious, as I started this thread to find that I had violated a rule in tournament play by using the towel.

I'd like to express my opinion on the Rules Q&A text, in general. First, the minority of players carry a rule book. Second, almost no players are even aware of the existence of the Rules Q&A text. Here is how this document should be used ,IMO: TD's should be required to print out at least a few public copies for each event so that players are made aware of their existence. As each new edition of the rule book comes out, the previous Q&A's should ALL be incorporated into the new rule text and the Q&A text should start over FROM SCRATCH. This text should serve as a temporary means of adding further clarification to the language of rules in between versions of the rule book.

Last edited:
First time I've ever looked at this section of the forum.

I started playing for the fun and didn't realize that this recreational activity had a longer more complicated rule book than the world's most popular and most lucrative sport (soccer). :doh:

You guys are WAY too serious!! :wall: If this is what it's like in tournaments, I don't think I can afford the attorney fees. I'm heading back to having FUN. See ya!!

Latest posts