• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The spread of rule mis-information

First time I've ever looked at this section of the forum.

I started playing for the fun and didn't realize that this recreational activity had a longer more complicated rule book than the world's most popular and most lucrative sport (soccer). :doh:

You guys are WAY too serious!! :wall: If this is what it's like in tournaments, I don't think I can afford the attorney fees. I'm heading back to having FUN. See ya!!

There's no problem in playing just for fun; it's what most of the people that play disc golf play for. Kids playing backyard baseball don't use the infield fly rule. Put money/prizes on the line in a tournament, however, rules do matter and will be taken serious (no matter how ridiculous some may seem) . Also, FIFA's Laws of the Game are still longer and more complicated than the PDGA's: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf

I played in a tournament a couple months ago where this guy on my card got his go to disc stuck in a tree. He grabs his water bottle and was going to knock it down and another guy on the card makes him stop and says it's against the rules. So I say that I will get it down for him. Rule guy says absolutely not. Anyone who touches it is guilty of making a practice throw during the tournament. The guy was so convincing we all shut up and kept playing. The guy who lost the disc had a terrible round and I was pissed for allowing myself to go along with him even though I was pretty certain he was misinterpreting the rule.

I'd just like to point out that it's legal to mark your lie by placing your marker disc anywhere on the line of play as long as it is touching your disc, so you can place it in front or behind or underneath. It doesn't have to be only in front.

Uh...

This can be done by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface between the hole and the disc, directly in line with the hole, on the line of play, touching the thrown disc.

I played in a tournament a couple months ago where this guy on my card got his go to disc stuck in a tree. He grabs his water bottle and was going to knock it down and another guy on the card makes him stop and says it's against the rules. So I say that I will get it down for him. Rule guy says absolutely not. Anyone who touches it is guilty of making a practice throw during the tournament. The guy was so convincing we all shut up and kept playing. The guy who lost the disc had a terrible round and I was pissed for allowing myself to go along with him even though I was pretty certain he was misinterpreting the rule.

You can throw anything except other discs at the disc stuck in the tree. Throwing a disc over a certain distance (not sure how far, 6'?) is considered a practice throw. You can touch any disc, just don't throw it. Knocking it down isn't throwing it and is completely within the rules.

Long time player, recent bagger here. I am playing my first tourney Sept 10. I have read the rule book and carry one with me. I am not someone who expects to be a "rule dick", but if something sounds off about what is called amongst my group for any player myself included I will not hesitate to get out my book so that we may all come to a prompt and proper decision. People like denny mentioned who force their will on others are competetive pricks and need to be put in there place by people who aren't as disc talented as them and that is probably why he acted that way. If you aren't playing pro circuit then don't worry too much, heaven forbide the Disc Golf Karma gods don't come down and eat your disc right out of the air. Have fun, play beer league rules all the time then we could have brawls about the handbook and interpretation.

Latest posts