• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The Stamp A Day Thread!

Latitude 64 opto claymore production stamp

1_zps3f89c3ee.jpg

after posting this as a response in another thread, i ultimately felt that it would be better served here in this thread, which has pretty much dried up a bit. when i was trying to get anybody out there to give me a shot at doing a hot stamp DGCR contributor and artist Zamson was there to steer me in the right direction with tons of great advice. hopefully my body of work inspires people to give it a shot as well.

here's some more of my stuff, a little bit more varied. comic book stuff, however, runs pretty deep in my DNA, i've been doing them off and on since i could hold a pencil, including some pretty high profile stuff for the major companies along the way... which eventually led to becoming a conceptual artist for a computer game company for a while.

DGCR_zpskytl4dng.jpg

Wild CATS (created by Jim Lee) story and pencils Les White
comics%202_zps6ckoun7n.jpg

Venom (Marvel) part of a submission package from back in the day which led to....
comics%203_zpsckpkgaun.jpg

being featured in Marvel Age #97, which led to a ton of notoriety and work (the Punisher story written and drawn by me)
MARVEL%20AGE%201_zps7chgokby.jpg

Pinups for high profile companies paid a ton back in the day, especially Todd McFarlane, who keeps all the Spawn original art used in his comic
spawn%2033_zpsuqy6l2ow.jpg

this dude's name is Prophet, and the pinup was commissioned by Prophet's creator Rob Liefeld, the creator of Deadpool, Cable and a ton of other characters, and was featured in issue number 4 (Image Comics). i just said %#! it with the muscles.... i just went $#&ing nuts with this..
a little known fact, Rob and I both worked at one time for the same independent comics company.
PROPHET%204_zpsyjrzf4zt.jpg

when i was trying to break into comics, i entered this pic of wolverine into a contest run by the magazine Hero Illustrated, first prize was a mint copy of Silver Surfer #1. i still have that comic in a safe deposit box... it's worth a lot.
wolvie%20mine_zpsbeldvapi.jpg

i still do a ton of commissions for comic book fans worldwide, here is a look into the process of doing a colored marker/colored pencil pinup of Harley Quinn (DC)
harley%201_zpsev7lm8pr.jpg

i'll stop here for now. adios. (D'Synnt character by Les White)
dysnnt%2088%20FB_zpsogcth9yd.jpg

Crazy cool stuff here, Les. Thanks so much for posting it. :clap:

Thanks for sharing you comic work with us :thmbup:! I had no idea of your vast work in that industry.

I used to collect comics years ago and remember the time Image burst onto the scene! I eventually sold all of my comics but I did keep all my Image stuff I read and a few Marvel titles I liked.

I have the Spiderman series that Todd was the first artist on ( I have two covers of it and one is signed by him ) and Erik Larsen worked on after him. I always loved Eriks vision of Mary Jane :eek:!

I know I still have the first 20 issues of Spawn ( with multiple cover #1 issues ), I loved Erik Larsons Savage Dragon, Super Patriot, and the WildCats, etc.

Did you work on the first 4 issues of Wildcats? Now I am going to have to get out what I have and go thru some comics!

Your Frank Castle looks good too :thmbup:, I still have my collection of The Punisher War Zone ( Issue one had the die-cut bullet holes in it ) that was started with art by John Romita,Jr. He was my favorite artist that ever drew Frank at the time.

That Wolverine is amazing! Awesome work! :hfive:

Sorry for the nerd out, now back to your regular programming :p.

Wow, Les!

Did you work with Bruce Timm on the Harley Quinn? "The Long Halloween" is up there on my list of all time favorite series.

These are the two I've done. The first is meant to look like a Texas Ranger badge,but I don't think many get it. The second one is mocking one of our local courses holes. #2 at DG @ Southwestern has you throw across the corner of the pond, inevitably many throwing discs in the water. I've been playing with some duck themed ideas for next year, since everyone says there's no duck on the Duck Pond Classic disc.

53eb9ad837bdbfff52f58c06c5de013e.jpg
04d44e5c70eeb811d80207108e78e962.jpg

But it is awesome to see your own designs on a disc.

Des Reading's new stamp that came out a few weeks ago... every disc in her bag is symbolized in some form or another
attachment.php

... completing the Reading pair that began with this one in ~2009
attachment.php

And for good Inno-measure, the DGR Roc from ~2008
attachment.php

Attachments

• DesRide.jpg
    DesRide.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 270
  • BasketsBeware.jpg
    BasketsBeware.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 267
  • DGR-Roc.jpg
    DGR-Roc.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 264
Back from my hiatus! I haven't forgotten about DGCR...I've just... taken a bit of vacation from it. I had no idea this thread existed or I probably would've posted more these past few years.

--This stamp was commissioned by MVP Disc Sports in tandem with an A-Tier Open event they're sponsoring. It's being held at Solitude Resort, just outside Salt Lake City next month. The TD just wanted me to dig deep and sketch out what I thought of the course and what would make a cool stamp. It came down to what you hear most often, You vs. the course. I wanted to bring characteristics of the tree foliage and try to simulate massive scale of these trees compared to the player. Also, indicate that there is a rolling mountainside in play. Overall, I'm happy this turned out well and my first time really using halftones. I see why John Dorn, Les and many other dg artists have used this technique.

2 foil design for the 2016 Solitude Open sponsored by MVP Disc Sports
MyAyvRG.jpg

^ That stamp captures everything I love about DG. Dig it the most.

Last edited:

Latest posts