• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The term "hyzers out"

What do you think?

• Okay with me!

Votes: 64 36.0%
  • It's a plague on our society

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 87 48.9%
  • What are we talking about?

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters
I suggest we start a new poll to determine whether or not Alanis is using the word "ironic" properly.

Another left-brained word-fetishist....I like it!

Unfortunately, the word "coincidental" has twice the syllables so it would've thrown off the tempo of the song.

I'm all for promoting using the terminology in a precise manner, and while it's technically incorrect (the proper term is fade), it's simply not worth worrying about. The phrase "Choose your battles wisely" comes to mind. Everyone understands what is meant when it's said, and I even find myself saying it from time to time.
I suggest we start a new poll to determine whether or not Alanis is using the word "ironic" properly.
... and if that isn't ironic, then nothing is.

So, can something be coincidentally ironic, or ironically coincidental for that matter? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
if anyone honestly gets upset about this, i dont want to play with you. seems very petty

"Hook up!!!!" seems to be more prevalent around here. Call it what you want, just get off the teepad and let me throw.
I've always called fade "dump" as in "It will ride out straight about 300' then dump off to the left." When I need a disc to fade hard I yell "TAKE A DUMP!!!"

I've always been mystified why this lingo has not caught on. :|

I've always called fade "dump" as in "It will ride out straight about 300' then dump off to the left." When I need a disc to fade hard I yell "TAKE A DUMP!!!"

I've always been mystified why this lingo has not caught on. :|

my life! is much catchier

Hyzer (out) should not be correct since this only describes the disc angle and not the movement of the disc from right to left (rhbh). But I'm fairly unsure if "fade" would be the correct term to describe that movement though.
Even though most people in the discgolfworld understand it - something is not right in terminology. Just try to translate it to other languages and you see how wrong even fade is...

Nope, hyzer and anhyzer refer to release angle, turn and fade refer to the angle of the disc in flight.

the second half of this statement must be false.

a disc in the first half of its flight can be turning from a sharp hyzer angle to a flatter hyzer angle and never reach a point where it becomes flat. if turn and fade refer to the angle of the disc in flight then the disc in the above scenario would be on a fade angle even though we know that the disc is actually turning not fading.

therefore, turn and fade refer to the behavior of the disc mid-flight not the angle on which they are flying.

i don't see why "hyzer out" is necessarily incorrect, grammatically or contextually.
to throw a shot on a hyzer angle is to throw a hyzer shot. therefore a hyzer is a shot that is on a hyzer angle. seems like a legit noun to me. if we can do that why can't we make it a verb too?
to me, hyzer out is a short version of "the disc is on a hyzer angle as it finishes out its flight."

Last edited:
this isn't the way people usually use it but hyzer out could also refer to the disc traveling out of a certain area on a hyzer angle. "it will hyzer out of the woods."

interestingly, this is the context in which people will use the term "hyzer in".

"he hyzered into the the clearing"
"its gonna hyzer in the basket"

Wow...it's not even winter anymore get outside and let your disc hyzer out and not worry about what you call it.

I want to start an organization dedicated to the defining of disc golf terms. The PDGA of disc golf lingo. Of course if I did I assume another organization would open a month later with different definitions and then everyone would argue about which is the "official" organization. Years from now Phd candidates will write dissertations on the evolution of "hyzer" and "stable."

I'm old school. Hyzer and Anti-Hyzer. Release angle only. Anything else is slang or bastardization or both.

Logically, SW22 is right on "hyzer-out." That's why no one says "anhyzer-out." While anhyzering-out could be considered the equivalent of turning or flipping, it doesn't do it at the end of the flight.

Let me correct myself: the "technical" pedantic spelling is Hyzer and anti-Hyzer. My apologies to the DG Illuminati.

I'm cool with people saying "hyzer out". I understand the point that the person saying it is trying to get across. I usually say something to the effect of "come on fade!". I do however dislike (what I consider) the improper use of stable, more stable & less stable.

shrug
Rashida-Shrug.gif