• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Picked up a gummy champ tern in the icebowl player's pack. Not an "X" to my knowledge.

It throws somewhere between the champs & stars. I like it.

Last edited:
I throw Star Terns as my Max-D Tailwind disc. Great for wide open shots that I can really air. Flies exactly like a really really beat in *D.

I threw one right around 600 feet at AM Worlds last year. Can consistently get 450-500' with either no wind or a slight tail wind.

EDIT: Can't figure out the Champ Terns though. They just seem like a less predictable Destroyer. Oh well, Destroyers do everything else that I need.

Nice stamp on this 170 Tern.

1533951_710033842354808_786863682_n.jpg

Alright, just ordered a 162 gram Star Tern. We'll see if it can take some max D shots from my trusty Amp.

Just threw his Tern today at a couple course and holy cow this thing bombed for me. I threw it mainly flat, didn't experiment with any hyzer angles but it was easily the farthest disc I've thrown. I like the shallower rim as well.

It's definetly taking my distance shots that have a little room to work.

Has anyone thrown any light (like sub 165g) champ terns? I'd like to grab one, and the star I have is 162 so I'd like to stay close to that. I'm hoping that even at a light weight it will still have more stability than the star for longer narrower holes. There are a couple like this at my home course so if anyone has tossed a light one I'd love a review.

I'm curious. Are the flight ratings differences for star versus champ all because champ plastic is more stable or is the mold actually different?

Has anyone thrown any light (like sub 165g) champ terns? I'd like to grab one, and the star I have is 162 so I'd like to stay close to that. I'm hoping that even at a light weight it will still have more stability than the star for longer narrower holes. There are a couple like this at my home course so if anyone has tossed a light one I'd love a review.

See my post #974 in this thread if you like. It gives my "not a big arm" perspective.

Thanks! Yours seem to do what I was hoping they would, can't believe I missed that post with how many times I've looked through this thread :eek:

They don't need another flippy under stable disc, they need to go make more flattop champ firebirds. Or a more OS flattop mid.

I'm curious. Are the flight ratings differences for star versus champ all because champ plastic is more stable or is the mold actually different?

Champ plastic is generally the most stable in all Innova molds. The Tern has concrete numbers to reflect that, as the difference is pretty considerable.

Champ plastic is generally the most stable in all Innova molds. The Tern has concrete numbers to reflect that, as the difference is pretty considerable.

So it sounds like you're saying it's the same mold (same shape) but that the champ plastic is just much more stable? I always knew champ plastic was more stable but when I saw 2 full points difference on the turn ratings (-4 versus -2) it just made me curious as I didn't think plastic type made that much difference but maybe it can? Thanks for the input.

So it sounds like you're saying it's the same mold (same shape) but that the champ plastic is just much more stable? I always knew champ plastic was more stable but when I saw 2 full points difference on the turn ratings (-4 versus -2) it just made me curious as I didn't think plastic type made that much difference but maybe it can? Thanks for the input.

I think plastic does affect th flight. I have always noticed idye plastic is super stable. does not turn as much as champ plastic.

Got to throw the 163g Champ Tern today. Holy smokes this disc goes deep! Threw it from one baseball field and across another until it hit a snowbank. That thing was on fire. Really impressive. Might try a little heavier one to get a bit more stability though. Fun disc. Super deep.

Latest posts