• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Well, I've thrown 2 shimmer star discs now. The Tern and Mystere. The plastic is only meh for me. It seems worse than regular star and gets beat up easily. The Tern flew very well, but the Mystere didn't. I agree that I liked the regular star Mystere more than the shimmer one. It seems like Innova did a knockoff of Discraft's ti plastic. The ti plastic is better quality though.

Ti is definitely better quality. I don't see Shimmer Star as being a Ti imitation; they're not alike to me. Shimmer Star seems to be something between Star and GStar, and (like you said) Shimmer Star is not durable at all...

I've found pretty much the same. When you start getting over 400' the Tern will often flip over and not come back. A Shryke will flip more mildly and come back late in flight. I've had a lot of Tern throws go a LOOOONNGGGGG way, but far to the right of where I intended. Shrykes tend to have a bit less high speed turn. I also feel like the Tern hyzerflips better than a Shryke. If you put a bunch of hyzer on a Shryke it'll just hold that line and never flatten out.

A Shryke is a touch more overstable than a Tern. I also agree I get cleaner releases on the Shryke than the Tern.

The Tern and Shryke are similar enough that you probably wouldn't feel the need to bag both of them at once.

Slight necro quote here, but I'm curious - Terns are jockeying for position as my one and true Distance Driver Workhorse™ but I'm wondering one thing. What are tern throwers bagging as their wind fighting complement?

The way I see it, a good stable bookend for a stack of workhorse discs should feel similar, fly somewhat similar, and be widely available in similar plastic. Shoot, even a particularly beefy tern could do the job here, thinking like max weight pop topped glow or MF.

But anyway, I had narrowed it down to a few usual suspects including a star wraith, a pro/gstar destroyer, a pop top champ shryke or pharaoh, or a trespass. What do you guys think?

edit: note that I have tried a champ DDX and didn't click with it.

Last edited:
The way I see it, a good stable bookend for a stack of workhorse discs should feel similar, fly somewhat similar, and be widely available in similar plastic. Shoot, even a particularly beefy tern could do the job here, thinking like max weight pop topped glow or MF.

But anyway, I had narrowed it down to a few usual suspects including a star wraith, a pro/gstar destroyer, a pop top champ shryke or pharaoh, or a trespass. What do you guys think?

I'd probably look into Wraiths...Terns aren't crazy high speed and they power down well, so I think the Wraith really matches these characteristics. If you need something for that very true OS to hyzer through a hurricane then you can add in one beefier Destroyer too...if you're used to throwing Wraiths then the Destroyer is the exact same shape in hand to me.

The Shryke doesn't power down as easily I think, and I love the Trespass but I think it would beat in faster than the Innova plastic for dealing with being your stable mold. The Trespass beats in to be comparable to the Tern to me...I use it for my Tern shots because I prefer the hand feel of the Trespass. Even if they start off beefier I think they season faster. So that's why the Wraith is what I'd go with...the Wraith/Trespass may start off more similar initially, but the Wraith should stay in that stability for way longer.

I have not thrown the Pharaoh, and I also did not click with the DDX.

Slight necro quote here, but I'm curious - Terns are jockeying for position as my one and true Distance Driver Workhorse™ but I'm wondering one thing. What are tern throwers bagging as their wind fighting complement?

I've been doing: Tern for Hyzer flips to right finish, Trespass for hyzer to straight and an Excal or something similar for shots that go left.

I recently put a champ tern in the bag after auditioning a couple of trespasses - one lucid, one fuzion burst. I really like how neutral and glidey they are, but man, they really don't like any wind save a tailwind (which is where they really shine, IMO). Any cross or headwind and I really can't trust them. I do find the champ tern a touch more resistant to wind, and a bit longer than the trespass, although their S curve is not as tight as the flight of the trespass in calm conditions.

As far as a bookend to terns, I'd just grab a pop top destroyer. Newer star wraiths all have a touch of turn for me, out of the box. I max out right around 400, for reference.

The Tern for me was never a "workhorse" driver. I bagged one for a while, but took it out in favor of a Shryke. For me the Shryke is a little more consistent and less flippy. I can get about the same distance with Terns and Shrykes, but the Shryke will do it in a more accurate manner.

If I were going to bag Terns, they'd be strictly for hyzerflip, downwind, open hole bombs. If I wanted a workhorse driver of the same speed I'd use a star Destroyer. A Wraith would also work.

If you absolutely love the feel/flight of a Tern, but want something just a tad beefier, try a Discmania DDX. The DDX just doesn't glide as well and has a harder late fade.

I'd probably look into Wraiths...Terns aren't crazy high speed and they power down well, so I think the Wraith really matches these characteristics. If you need something for that very true OS to hyzer through a hurricane then you can add in one beefier Destroyer too...if you're used to throwing Wraiths then the Destroyer is the exact same shape in hand to me.

The Shryke doesn't power down as easily I think, and I love the Trespass but I think it would beat in faster than the Innova plastic for dealing with being your stable mold. The Trespass beats in to be comparable to the Tern to me...I use it for my Tern shots because I prefer the hand feel of the Trespass. Even if they start off beefier I think they season faster. So that's why the Wraith is what I'd go with...the Wraith/Trespass may start off more similar initially, but the Wraith should stay in that stability for way longer.

I have not thrown the Pharaoh, and I also did not click with the DDX.

I agree with a lot of this. Terns power down very well. They'll maintain the same flight even if you don't throw them overly hard. A Tern is a perfect max distance driver for guys who don't throw very far. The floaty glide will yield every foot of distance possible. I also agree the Shryke won't power down as well. If you underthrow it, the disc stalls and fades out sharply. Terns won't do that.

I'm hit or miss on the Trespass. That seems like a mold that doesn't know what it wants to be. I'll get some Trespasses that are pretty beefy (like Destroyers) and others that flip ridiculously. Even a good Trespass won't hang with a Tern in terms of sheer distance for me.
I dabbled a bit with a Trespass in the bag, but I couldn't find a definite role for it. It was that uncomfortable mix between really flippy and occasionally stubbornly short. Every time I really laid into the Trespass it would turn over. Its a decent hyzerflip driver, but I like Terns and Shrykes for that role better.

In my bag to complement the Terns:

More overstable: Star Shryke
Significantly more overstable: GStar Wraith
Very significantly more overstable: Star Wraith

Plus a couple Star Roadrunners in different weights if I need something more understable.

I tried a Teedevil, then a near-max-weight Champion Tern, then a Pro Destroyer.

Then I disced down for the Winter, and I found that an SL worked very well for me.

Now I'm bagging the Shryke/Pharaoh in that hi-speed driver slot. If I know it's windy, I'll put the Pharaoh in the bag; it's a wee bit more (over)stable than my Pro Shryke.

I don't throw far (335 Max), so take this with a grain of salt, but I'll put a Wraith in the bag when I know I'll be throwing into a headwind on a long, open hole. Otherwise it's Tern all the way.

Recently put my star tern back in the bag as an interim replacement after losing my very beat pro destroyer. I'm glad I lost the destroyer because the tern is more reliable and goes further in the slot I needed filled: max distance, strong tailwind.

Recently put my star tern back in the bag as an interim replacement after losing my very beat pro destroyer. I'm glad I lost the destroyer because the tern is more reliable and goes further in the slot I needed filled: max distance, strong tailwind.

I'm to the point where I can't find ANYTHING that bombs in a tailwind as well as a Tern. Some other understable discs get pushed down too much and lose glide in tailwinds. Not the Tern.

I'm about to buy a couple of Terns for max distance punches.
I'm not up for loosing too much control (hyzerflip to slight turn, not turnover lines) and now I'm uncertain which ones to go for.

Will the I-dye be too stable to reach 400' (my maximum) with its beefier fade? I feel like star below 175g is a bit too touchy unless the holes are really open. How does the glow compare to star?

I'm about to buy a couple of Terns for max distance punches.
I'm not up for loosing too much control (hyzerflip to slight turn, not turnover lines) and now I'm uncertain which ones to go for.

Will the I-dye be too stable to reach 400' (my maximum) with its beefier fade? I feel like star below 175g is a bit too touchy unless the holes are really open. How does the glow compare to star?

If I may simplify this just a bit: Champion Terns, be they Dye or Glow Champion or regular Champion, tend to be more stable than Star Terns. From what I'm reading (quoted above), it sounds like you might want a 160-class Champion Tern, and if that's flippy/US for you, then go up in weight.

If I may simplify this just a bit: Champion Terns, be they Dye or Glow Champion or regular Champion, tend to be more stable than Star Terns. From what I'm reading (quoted above), it sounds like you might want a 160-class Champion Tern, and if that's flippy/US for you, then go up in weight.

This.

If I'm throwing Terns for sheer distance, give me star. For whatever reason those things absolutely MASH. The trick is finding one that has enough late fade to come back late in flight. Some star or G* Terns will flip all the way over and have zero late fade. Those aren't the ones you want for max distance. You need the full S curve flight.

Champion Terns are still very long, but I find they fade a little more abruptly and don't quite glide as well as stars.

I have one glow champion Tern, and I'm not super impressed with it. I won't call the disc beefy, but its more overstable than regular champion Terns. It also doesn't glide that well.

I threw my E* Tern some yesterday. Lots of glide, but its too flippy. It turns over and never comes back. It was long for me, but it lacked the full S curve flight. I didn't like the plastic either. It reminds me a lot of gummy pro.

If you're looking at Terns for max distance, I'd recommend stars 170g and over.

Long story short, I'm looking for a disc to replace a buddy's max weight Champ Tern. Has to be woods-golf friendly. Will a Star fly too differently, or should I keep scouring for a pink or orange Champ?

Long story short, I'm looking for a disc to replace a buddy's max weight Champ Tern. Has to be woods-golf friendly. Will a Star fly too differently, or should I keep scouring for a pink or orange Champ?

Either one. Both.

A max weight Star (fresh out of the box) will not be all that different than a max weight Champ. A max weight Hannah Leatherman Swirly Star Tern will be even more like the Champion Tern.

Are the gummy champ Terns still a thing? I still have a stack from 2-3 years ago, just curious. I believe they were primarily made available for tourney/promo discs. Great discs.

Latest posts