• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Innova haters are gonna hate.

As for myself, it seems a interesting disc and a great name. Guess a lot of folks haven't seen a Tern fly. Very fast and agile, but now that I think of it not much of a glider. Can't imagine the fury if they had called it the Pelican, now that bird can glide! Wonder which plastic it was designed for? Would be nice if they released it in DX or Pro at launch.

Now if only they did a old school circle stamp. Not a big fan of the non specific corporate logo stuff. Wait, I think Westside has cornered the market on great stamp design.

Get your Tern early as a fund raising disc for BG AMS

The Champion Tern (12/6/-2/2) flies like a Sidewinder on steroids or a Katana with more glide, a little more turn and a little less low speed over stability. Big distance for modest efforts. Meant for players with 325 to 375 ft power.

Innova, the presenting sponsor of The Amateur Championships at Bowling Green is allowing the BG Disc Golf Club a couple of months to sell the first release of the Tern prior to being available for general distribution.

These Metal Flake Champion Disc will be available through our retail course sponsors or when registering for the event. The disc will start shipping to customers on December 17th.

Event info here: http://www.bluegrassdiscgolf.org/BowlingGreen.html

Attachments

• bg_tern.JPG
    bg_tern.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 71
sounds like a slightly slower dominator to me.

personally i think having so many fast drivers in every flight rating combination is getting a bit out of hand, but from a business stand point they are producing more of what sells best for them. all of these warp speed drivers are supposed to be beginner friendly, but having the wraith, krait, archon, mamba, wahoo, teedevil, destroyer, vulcan, katana, groove, dominator, and boss is a lot of choice for somebody who doesn't know any better.

you'd be naive to think that innova doesn't understand the desire for the recreational golfer to find that one magical disc that flies dead straight 500 feet for them. as others have said, a bulk of their business comes from the casuals who only carry a few discs. if that's what people are wanting as a business you'd be silly to not provide that for your customers.

it's still a terrible name. I don't care what the fanboys say.

Initial testing indicates flight numbers of [12|6|-3|1] for the Star version and [12|6|-2|2] for the Champion model.

No offense, Innova, but I don't think I'm going to be buying this disc either...

Anyone who has played for any time at all knows innovas reason for cranking out models of discs. You find a few you like, and stick with them. One of my favorite discs is the groove, and it gets the **** beat out of it on these forums. The less people like them, the cheaper I can pick them up for. It's fun to try new stuff now and then but I do not have any gaps left to fill in my bag. And not to open a new can of worms, but where does the new speed ratings end? 15 speed? 20 speed? Are we not at the apex of aerodynamics for these discs? What's your thoughts?

13 is the end. if the evil dastardly folks at Innova had their way, 12 would've been the limit both in their numbering system, and the corresponding rim width to 12 as the PDGA max limit.

and those jerks are trying to fill out a flight spectrum so that everyone who wants to enjoy frisbee golf can find a driver that perfectly suits their game off the shelf. just put a freakin bullet in my head now before i have to endure another frisbee that doesn't suit me.

I really like the Wahoo. I haven't used mine enough to break it in (wear it out) yet. But assuming that it will break in too quickly to maintain its' current flight for very long...

I would be interested to know if the Tern really does fly like the Wahoo if it ends up available in more durable plastic. Of course, I already put the Discmania Frenzy on my Christmas list so I'll see how that works out before the Tern. Or maybe I'll just add the Tern to the list, too!

So Innova only did the holiday stamp on these special edition Terns? If so, that is a bummer. I really like that stamp.

13 is the end. if the evil dastardly folks at Innova had their way, 12 would've been the limit both in their numbering system, and the corresponding rim width to 12 as the PDGA max limit.

and those jerks are trying to fill out a flight spectrum so that everyone who wants to enjoy frisbee golf can find a driver that perfectly suits their game off the shelf. just put a freakin bullet in my head now before i have to endure another frisbee that doesn't suit me.

I see what you did there and conceptually I agree with your point

but the "90% of the buying public"...do you think they can actually tell the difference/see a difference/manipulate the flight differently of these discs that are minutely differentiated?

i.e. noobie throwing 225-250 are they really getting anything better/different from the Tern vs Archon?

by the time they are cracking getting close to 400 is such minute differentiation needed?

I think it's great. More discs for everyone! Some people just originally buy and grow to like a certain disc because of the name/ picture/ everyone else hates it. And it's all good for the sport. I don't care if it flies similar to any other disc that's already out and nobody can really tell the difference. Some kid is going to bond with that mold because it was his first disc and it came in his favorite color. The Excal is the only Innova disc I throw now but I'm still happy for them to keep coming out with more discs if it gives them more business and keeps disc golfers happy.

I think it's great. More discs for everyone! Some people just originally buy and grow to like a certain disc because of the name/ picture/ everyone else hates it. And it's all good for the sport. I don't care if it flies similar to any other disc that's already out and nobody can really tell the difference. Some kid is going to bond with that mold because it was his first disc and it came in his favorite color. The Excal is the only Innova disc I throw now but I'm still happy for them to keep coming out with more discs if it gives them more business and keeps disc golfers happy.

I agree with this, pretty much. I tried the Krait and the Dominator just because they were new, and I love them unconditionally. I rarely drive with anything else these days (still driver heavy like a n00b...check the sig) but I absolutley love those discs. I've actually gotten some guff for other players about it. Of course, if I beat them on a hole then they want to throw what I've got.

Obviously, not everything is going to be a must have like a Teebird or a Destroyer. But as long as more people are playing, and more and better courses are being put in, who's to say what's wrong or what's right in this workaday world of ours?

I won't throw the Tern because it's not what I'm looking for....but I bet it still sells a buttload. And that is NOT BAD FOR THE SPORT, despite what some of us forum trollololols might think.

Latest posts