• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

For the 450'+ crowd (who are capable of powering down and still throwing with snap), the Tern is a finesse disc. I find the Tern flies really similar lines to a D4 when powered up, just much shorter. I would also classify the D4 as a finesse disc at those distances. Need lots of latteral space and height to control longer throws. Or, hyzerflip lasers on a lower line for control.
The tern is better at a tight controlled S-shot, akin to a longer champ sidewinder, imo. Whereas the D4 is a less crappy katana.

I like this comparison :thmbup:

Saw a video of Feldberg at Kensington Toboggin hole crank a drive out with full grunt to just under 500'. This is an elevated hole too. But, of course, not high altitude desert with heat thermals. Comprende?

Are you talking about this video?

Feldburg was throwing with a broken hand, and the teebox is not elevated. That hole goes from flat land, to straight up-hill.

that pad is clearly elevated at least half an inch off the ground.

... and the world record for a mini disc throw is 406 ft, you still think 500ft with a driver is crazy?

Last edited:
Here's one reason why I and anyone else here should doubt you distance claims:

"I've hit my neighbors house twice so I'm hitting 500 ish as well."

:rolleyes:

Internet distance must be a wonderful thing...

He can throw 500'. I can throw 500', and he has a stronger arm than I. :|

Your internet ignorance is a wonderful thing. It is quite entertaining.

I guess I need to do a video interview of my neighbor about that time i hit his house and he walked out and said.. guess you need to start backing up.

Fair enough, and well said. Although I still wouldn't use the word "finesse" driver because of its speed/power requirement...speed 12, 2.3 cm rim. I think of discs like the Sidewinder, Roadrunner, and Mamba as finesse drivers.

Some Tern's appear to be more stable than others, as evident from several comments in this thread. That's no surprise, you can find the same with Katana's, Boss's, Destroyers, etc.

IMO, the Tern is Innova's answer to the Lat 64 Bolt/Westside King...same shallow 1.1cm rim depth, same rim width(2.3/2.4cm), same sharp edge, similarly fast, glidey, and moderately understable flight. It's a turnover driver that has enough LSS to come back at end of flight. -2,2 is dead on, and that may be too understable for big power throwers who are used to throwing overstable distance drivers.

For power throwers though it doesn't take much to make it turn over. As for the flight numbers I never really pay attention to those. You can throw a disc at a very low speed but still create tons of spin which is what makes a disc act like it does. I can throw a Destroyer on a 300 foot shot on a tight line and have it do what I want. I can throw the same disc on a 500 foot shot and also have it do what I want to do or intended to do. This is due to the amount of spin and not speed or power. It also doesn't take a lot of power to make the Tern go really far for power throwers. With the right height, release and wind conditions it will go farther than my destroyers and my PD-2's but asking for those right conditions all the time is asking a lot which is why mine came out my bag.

As for how long New has been playing, it doesn't matter. I started playing in 1989 and was playing novice in at Monthly tourneys, I was 14 at the time. 6 Months later I was playing in the Open division and took 3rd at my home course (Morley Field) in the course championships with a total of -31 for three rounds. I practiced my A$$ off every day. SOme pick up the game really quick and just have the natural ability to do things with a disc that some other players just don't have, I believe New is one of those players.

Are you talking about this video?

Feldburg was throwing with a broken hand, and the teebox is not elevated. That hole goes from flat land, to straight up-hill.

LOL, who's showing ignorance? Hole #13 on the Tobaggan course does have an elevated teepad. Can you not see the landscape clearly going down hill from the side view as they're driving? There's another discraft video which gives an even clearer view. Only the last 1/3 of the hole is up hill.

As for the broken hand, no, I didn't realize it on that throw of his. Any of the other 3 pro's outdrive him on that hole in the video? What's your point?

You're too easy..and new13 is a couple rungs down from you!

For power throwers though it doesn't take much to make it turn over. As for the flight numbers I never really pay attention to those. You can throw a disc at a very low speed but still create tons of spin which is what makes a disc act like it does. I can throw a Destroyer on a 300 foot shot on a tight line and have it do what I want. I can throw the same disc on a 500 foot shot and also have it do what I want to do or intended to do. This is due to the amount of spin and not speed or power. It also doesn't take a lot of power to make the Tern go really far for power throwers. With the right height, release and wind conditions it will go farther than my destroyers and my PD-2's but asking for those right conditions all the time is asking a lot which is why mine came out my bag.

Ok, Bob...and yes, spin trumps speed. One reason I've gone from a 4 to 3 to 2 finger power grip.

LOL, who's showing ignorance? Hole #13 on the Tobaggan course does have an elevated teepad. Can you not see the landscape clearly going down hill from the side view as they're driving? There's another discraft video which gives an even clearer view. Only the last 1/3 of the hole is up hill.

As for the broken hand, no, I didn't realize it on that throw of his. Any of the other 3 pro's outdrive him on that hole in the video? What's your point?

You're too easy..and new13 is a couple rungs down from you!

I've played there. Have you? It's not elevated. Ask anyone that has played the course.

My point is that your argument holds no water.

Please, keep arguing. It's hilarious.

Last edited:
You should pop into the USADGC thread and ask the guys that have played the tournament before how elevated that teepad is. Spoiler alert......its not elevated.

I've played there. Have you? It's not elevated. Ask anyone that has played the course.

My point is that your argument holds no water.

Please, keep arguing. It's hilarious.

This guy is what threads are made for! Talking about things you've never done or only seen in video and having what you consider a valid opinion :thmbup:

And also why I have so few posts -- i prefer to sit back and :popcorn:

And Hammer, I've seen you throw in those old videos -- you clearly only have a spike hyzer, flat-land, 300' shot max. We've allll seen the videos. Proof. Troof. Internetz.

You should pop into the USADGC thread and ask the guys that have played the tournament before how elevated that teepad is. Spoiler alert......its not elevated.

Yeah he must be thinking of another teepad. There is certainly a hole at that course with quite an elevated teepad, but I cannot remember which as I have only played it once..I just know its not the one in the video of feldberg.

Side note, got to throw my tern a bit today, definitely has some turn to it once you pass about 350 ft of power, and plenty of turn around 380-400 ft of power Couldn't quite open it up enough due to not really having enough room on the holes at the course I played today. Put the power down and it was turning over to the right pretty good so I had to add more hyzer to flip it up flat if I wanted a straighter shot. Would like to see how it works for me on some big anhyzers and bigger distance drives when I get to a course that has more room for this. Powered down around 300 it was pretty straight with some decent fade.

If anyone is wondering.. Champ tern at 170 grams

Last edited:
and FWIW, that teepad is not elevated, the shot is essentially up-hill.

Terns, turn but we are talking innova here-- kinda like a box a chocolates, you never know what you're going to get! :p

This guy is what threads are made for! Talking about things you've never done or only seen in video and having what you consider a valid opinion :thmbup:

And also why I have so few posts -- i prefer to sit back and :popcorn:

And Hammer, I've seen you throw in those old videos -- you clearly only have a spike hyzer, flat-land, 300' shot max. We've allll seen the videos. Proof. Troof. Internetz.

Not only 300' max, but minimum, too. If I'm 200' out, I just overshoot the basket by 100'.

Latest posts