• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

I tried. I'm not a destroyer expert and there's not a great local store around here to check discs. I would love a destroyer but I'm not crazy about online destroyer roulette.

if you want a little more over stable compared to a champ tern go with the same weight echo star destroyer (if its an old domey top then consider yourself lucky, if its the vulcan top then you're sill going to be ok because it'll still be more stable then the tern).

if you want a lot more over stable go with a regular star destroyer (same applies, if you get the domey top then it might be a PD2/old school top, or if you get a flatter vulcan top then it'll still be a lot more over stable (although not as over stable as the old school domey top), but you'll be able to break it in quicker).

the tern is going to have more glide either way, even in champ plastic compared to a star destroyer. but you'll notice that the destroyer (star destroyers not echo star) can handle the wind a lot better.

Last edited:
if you want a little more over stable compared to a champ tern go with the same weight echo star destroyer (if its an old domey top then consider yourself lucky, if its the vulcan top then you're sill going to be ok because it'll still be more stable then the tern).

if you want a lot more over stable go with a regular star destroyer (same applies, if you get the domey top then it might be a PD2/old school top, or if you get a flatter vulcan top then it'll still be a lot more over stable (although not as over stable as the old school domey top), but you'll be able to break it in quicker).

the tern is going to have more glide either way, even in champ plastic compared to a star destroyer. but you'll notice that the destroyer (star destroyers not echo star) can handle the wind a lot better.

Nailed it.

I haven't thrown Echo* but G* Destroyers are also significantly less stable than Star Destroyers out of the box. Very great control distance driver for the 350-425' range where they ride right, but always have a medium fade back without much skip too due to the plastic. I feel like they are how the beefy star Destroyers are the "good" ones for the guys who throw 450+, but too much beef for those around 400 like myself.

I have a flatter top e* star destroyer F2 that seems exactly the same as the other "Vulcan" top stars I have.

I'm pairing outlaws with my terns right now, and it's working out pretty good. I had to spend a little time learning the differences in the various outlaw colors/runs, but I really like them. Never tried Destroyers so I can't really compare them but pop in the outlaw thread and see if anyone can help you out.

I just picked a 175g Star Tern from PIAS. Really good looking disc. Neon pink with some white marble. Anyways, what is it about this star mold that gives it a -4 HSS compared to the -2 HSS of the champion version? It looks exactly like the two champions that I have.

just the plastic, right?

They are finally acknowledging different flight #s for different plastics.

Yeah, -4 (Star) -3(Gstar) & -2(Champion) for HSS on the Tern. Just wondering if this is accurate in anyone else's experience.

It is for me. Stars are noticeably less stable than the rest of my terns. Great disc once you dial it in though.

I find those number pretty accurate for star and champ. The gstar felt closer to champ but I've only thrown one.

Well I'm glad I bought a Star because the two Champs I have really fly like 12 / 6 / -1 / 2. I wanted them to hyzer flip for me. Hopefully the Star will fly like I'm expecting it to.

I just picked a 175g Star Tern from PIAS. Really good looking disc. Neon pink with some white marble. Anyways, what is it about this star mold that gives it a -4 HSS compared to the -2 HSS of the champion version? It looks exactly like the two champions that I have.

You'll be able to hyzer flip it a lot easier compared to a champ. You'll see :D

Like beat in leopard or sidewinder level of hyzer flips. It's freaky because you have to trust it's going to flip up and since the disc is so fast it does it's flipping up - way way down the line.

I've had some fun throwing star terns with a tiny bit of hyzer and even flat but you have to release or aim almost 45° away. When you have space it's a super interesting shot - huge turnover line.

LOTS of turn on my Star Tern, and just a touch on my Champ. Throwing them about 350. Can't imagine the Star Tern being useful for bigger arms - maybe as a roller disc.

You'll be able to hyzer flip it a lot easier compared to a champ. You'll see :D

Like beat in leopard or sidewinder level of hyzer flips. It's freaky because you have to trust it's going to flip up and since the disc is so fast it does it's flipping up - way way down the line.

I've had some fun throwing star terns with a tiny bit of hyzer and even flat but you have to release or aim almost 45° away. When you have space it's a super interesting shot - huge turnover line.

I want a 400+ Comet basically. I hyzer flip my Comets and they will go laser straight. Can't wait to field test this thing.

it won't be lazer straight but once you're dialed in you will be surprised at the amount of control

I've been mostly tossing star and glow champ terns.

What weight do you guys prefer for normal champ terns?

it won't be lazer straight but once you're dialed in you will be surprised at the amount of control

If you're right handed and need a very long shot to fade right the tern is very shapeable. If it's tunnel-ish then I can trust my champ tern. If it's more open or if im powering down you can use a hyzer flipped star tern.

I've used my friends beat in pro destroyers and it's pretty much a tern.

160's for champ terns. Star I go 170s.

Threw a champ Tern for the first time today. Wow. Can't believe I didn't try this mold sooner. Loves to be thrown on a hyzer-flip and just gliiiiide. Will compliment my destroyer assortment very nicely. May even kick out some of the more beat *D's.

Latest posts