• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Turnover Shot

whatariot7

Hi All,

As the title may imply, I'm struggling to produce a successful turnover shot. I'm talking about a straight high speed flight for 200' or more, then a low speed fade to the right. I pulled it off only once, with my GL river. It was beautiful, and I'll never forget it.

I am RHBH capable of 300' plus drives and understand more power + torque on a stable-understable disc will yield this result. However, when I apply such a technique, I usually end up with a turn (right) and burn shot about 100-150' out with either my tangent or river.

When watching the most recent USDGC, I saw smooth, powerful drives lofted up, with the expectation they would drift left, but did the opposite. I realize I am no pro, but surely there is some medium between turn + burn and dead straight.

In short, and this is where you guys come in, is there any alternative to what the mass population on this site calls a "seasoned" roc? Either discs or more importantly, form?

Thanks in advance!

your river is perfect for a hyzer flip or a turnover shot. i have a 172 goldline river that i can do a nice hyzer flip and it hardly comes out of it. just take your most understable disc throw it on a hyzer and watch it just roll over and go right. now the slower your disc is and the height of the disc will affect any fade out. the heigher it is the more fade.

Try out a beat up dx disc. I usually use my seasoned eagle.

your river is perfect for a hyzer flip or a turnover shot. i have a 172 goldline river that i can do a nice hyzer flip and it hardly comes out of it. just take your most understable disc throw it on a hyzer and watch it just roll over and go right. now the slower your disc is and the height of the disc will affect any fade out. the heigher it is the more fade.

That's exactly what I have read/ thought about the river, but I either get a dead straight shot or a fade back left. What gives?

for a 200' flight?

use a putter

for 250'?

use a mid (comet, fuse, something understable etc.)

for a 275-300' shot a worn in river would do this shot on a nice little gentle hyzer flip

don't overtorque the shot, just give it smooth power for that nice turnover or hyzer flip, overtorque it and it will turn and burn

get in a field and just styart throwing understable stuff with some hyzer and see what it does

If you can't turn the River it is no big deal. I too am a noodle arm. Get a mid 160s GL Fuse for turnovers anywhere from 150-250' or so. Then bag a Diamond for anything 250' or longer. Or, beat the crap out of the River and it will turn eventually.

That's exactly what I have read/ thought about the river, but I either get a dead straight shot or a fade back left. What gives?

What is the plastic of the river. also if your river has been in the bag for lets say 6 months or more it can be super understable. if your looking for the fairway driver like 250-350 turnover shot that is the disc. i have a gold line red river and it is beaten in for bout 4-6 months. i was not the previous owner but he hardly threw the disc and i absolutely love it. he actually threw it like you.

Speaking of it could be a grip issue. he throws with a power grip all the time and i throw a control grip. I dont bring out the river unless it is in the range of 250-350. i then bring out a star tern for even further shots or i pull out a forehand shot. If it is under 250 feet i am throwing a westside swan. :thmbup:

Yeah, when I first tried the River out for turnovers I was throwing around your power level, and I too couldn't get it to turn over prolonged distances. The Underworld is a few notches more US, and was my perfect first turnover driver.

I've since bumped my power level up a bit, and can now get Rivers to hyzer flip to flat or turn reliably. The River/Underworld combo works nicely for straight to understable.

I have a noodle arm and the first disc I was able to turnover was a DX Archangel 171 and I have now moved on to a Champ Mamba 170. Good luck

Yeah, when I first tried the River out for turnovers I was throwing around your power level, and I too couldn't get it to turn over prolonged distances. The Underworld is a few notches more US, and was my perfect first turnover driver.

I've since bumped my power level up a bit, and can now get Rivers to hyzer flip to flat or turn reliably. The River/Underworld combo works nicely for straight to understable.

not that i am going for moving the thread to discs but the underworld in VIP was very stable not understable. i also had a tp underworld that was awsome for anhyzer shots like that. it was super understable. one reason i have moved away from westside because of the flight ratings and i dont want to fork out 20 dollars for a good disc that may or may not due what i am looking at. :wall:

not that i am going for moving the thread to discs but the underworld in VIP was very stable not understable. i also had a tp underworld that was awsome for anhyzer shots like that. it was super understable. one reason i have moved away from westside because of the flight ratings and i dont want to fork out 20 dollars for a good disc that may or may not due what i am looking at. :wall:

For what it's worth, I've thrown a dozen or more individual Underworlds and they've all pretty much flown as expected for me. The only exception was a 172 Glopto that was noticeably more understable than any of the others. Otherwise, they've been the model of consistency for me: heavier VIPs are definitely the most stable, but even those are still more US than the 164 7/10 GL River I used to throw. YMMV, of course, as always.

Westside's flight numbers are indeed humorously off, but I've had positive experiences with their consistency once you know what to expect. In the 25 or more Westside discs I've thrown, only 3 have flown other than what I expected (a max weight VIP Stag with less fade than my others, an air Stag that was the beefiest version of the mold I've thrown, and said Underworld). These deviations were relatively minor, save for the air Stag. For whatever that's worth.

For what it's worth, I've thrown a dozen or more individual Underworlds and they've all pretty much flown as expected for me. The only exception was a 172 Glopto that was noticeably more understable than any of the others. Otherwise, they've been the model of consistency for me: heavier VIPs are definitely the most stable, but even those are still more US than the 164 7/10 GL River I used to throw. YMMV, of course, as always.

Westside's flight numbers are indeed humorously off, but I've had positive experiences with their consistency once you know what to expect. In the 25 or more Westside discs I've thrown, only 3 have flown other than what I expected (a max weight VIP Stag with less fade than my others, an air Stag that was the beefiest version of the mold I've thrown, and said Underworld). These deviations were relatively minor, save for the air Stag. For whatever that's worth.

Maybe it was just me and i did not give it the time that the disc needed. Although one day i might get another underworld in a good color. only reason that i dont have that any more it was dark red. cant see it when it hits the ground. I love the river so much that i am getting another one. :thmbup:

I have a noodle arm and the first disc I was able to turnover was a DX Archangel 171 and I have now moved on to a Champ Mamba 170. Good luck

This was the case for me as well. My roller is a 150g AA and I get great turns with my 173 beat neutron amp, but it sits nicely after it's turn.

I really had to and am still finding the snap to angle ratio for my turnovers. The wrist roll while not a great habit makes it easy to turn discs. Careful on muscle memory though..

FYI, I have a noodle arm too. Max at 350 with a volt/amp.

The River (esp in the fansy plastic) is going to be A neutral (meaning stable or straight) or even Overstable disc for a player that is just begining. Use a slower baseline disc and beat it in. These "Understable" discs that people are "hyzer flipping" either have more arm speed or worse OAT than you do. Dont teach yourself bad traits that you will have to correct later on... Seriously.
Take an neutral mid pull your thumb closer to the rim and throw it flat. Boom you have a turnover. Have fun!

Mmmm.... turnovers

^Funny!^

I throw turnovers with putters, buzz ss, pro TL, and a beat champ roadrunner depending on the distance. Most from a hyzer flip. Trying to work in my Renegade but it is still pretty new to glide out. You just gotta keep working it. If it will turn and glide out for you once then you should be able to reproduce the shot. More than likely it is not the disc but the thrower. Start tweaking your grip, release, snap, posture and you may find something that works. Good luck. It is nice to have that shot in the bag.

Latest posts