• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Turnover Shot

I use a slightly beat Classic Judge, a Z Comet, or a slightly worn Star Leopard. My Champ Mamba will work for it, but for me it's a bit squirrelly.

ZERO hard pure, Tursas, Underworld, Fury (opto), Mamba (champ) in order of distance. The trick, as mentioned, is learning/repeating the right amounts of hyzer, spin & power.

this is a hard shot for me, i am not very good at hyzer flipping, so getting the right release angle for a nice long turnover is hard.

Turnovers are my bread and butter, one reason why I continue to avoid forehands. My backhand turnover is just so far superior.

Magic/Sidewinder/Fuse/JLS

i throw a 5.5/10 champ sidewinder for turn overs. throw on a huge hyzer and watch it slowly turn over. its a beautiful flight. or else meteor works great for mids

dx stingray is the best disc to learn this with. many discs are good for this shot, and a stingray will help you throw all of them better. until they get silly beat, you can throw them with a ton of hyzer and they will cruise dead straight before starting to turn right. they take a long time to get to true 'roller-only/utility disc' status.

one reason why I continue to avoid forehands

learn how to throw both! i do and it's twice as much fun.

I'll second the stingray suggestion, Glong. It's the first disc I learned how to throw a turnover shot with and I loved it. I then moved on to a pro leopard for long turnovers, which is the same kind of disc as your river OP. I don't bag either any more because I mostly throw flicks instead of turnovers now.

IMO the slowly drifting turnover that doesn't come back is the prettiest shot in disc golf.

You guys beat me to the dx stingray suggestion. I love mine, and it's hard to beat for 8-9 bucks. I went through a few under stable mids before finding it but can't see it ever leaving my bag now.

Get an understable disc like other have said: stingray or a beat to crap DX fairway-ish driver work well too and easy to find.

Below is a beautifiul turnover which held straight for almost 300' and then just dumps right like I threw a FH. I had to release with a good amount of hyzer to keep from turn and burning. Playing around with the angle of hyzer and throwing speeds to get different lines out of one disc is a blast.

Practiceeeeee! Your tangent should turn-over from flat if you are getting it up to speed.

Get an understable disc like other have said: stingray or a beat to crap DX fairway-ish driver work well too and easy to find.

Below is a beautifiul turnover which held straight for almost 300' and then just dumps right like I threw a FH. I had to release with a good amount of hyzer to keep from turn and burning. Playing around with the angle of hyzer and throwing speeds to get different lines out of one disc is a blast.

Practiceeeeee! Your tangent should turn-over from flat if you are getting it up to speed.

I guess I've been missing the emphasis on the hyzer-flip to prevent the turn and burn, my usual product. This is my winter project!

The tangent has really given my game some confidence. :thmbup: Once again, I appreciate it.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Latest posts