• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Virginia scene

culinarywiz

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Just got back from a disc binge trip through Virginia Beach.

I was intrigued by the demographics on the disc courses.

There were multiple groups of old white guys at EVERY course. Sometimes big groups. These groups pretty much comprised the entire field.

I found this refreshing on a couple levels. First, 'cause I'm gettin' older and was assured we still have ground. Second, it was nice to see such a stark contrast from my local, youth driven scene.

All interactions were very polite. All groups either let me through or asked me to join.

Not sure this makes for a great thread, I just wanted to shout it out.

I am still mad that Buzz Williams left MU for VTech. I will feel better when they announce Ben Howland as the next MU coach.

That said, we have a good mix of both in MKE. It works out well as the older groups (by example) teach the younger groups proper etiquette.

Just got back from a disc binge trip through Virginia Beach.

I was intrigued by the demographics on the disc courses.

There were multiple groups of old white guys at EVERY course. Sometimes big groups. These groups pretty much comprised the entire field.

I found this refreshing on a couple levels. First, 'cause I'm gettin' older and was assured we still have ground. Second, it was nice to see such a stark contrast from my local, youth driven scene.

All interactions were very polite. All groups either let me through or asked me to join.

Not sure this makes for a great thread, I just wanted to shout it out.

The VA Beach / Bayville area is a VERY old community of golfers and it's one of the older courses in the country. Def. explains the demographics to a degree

I live in Charlottesville, and compared to other places I've lived (Boulder, CO and Iowa City, IA) where there's a university, the college and high school crowd definitely haven't discovered disc golf to the same degree. In Iowa City, especially, the university would start up in August and there would be 4 at every tee and every basket Saturday and Sunday past 11am. In one way the lack of interest here in Cville is nice, because I never have to worry about crowds. But on the other hand it would be nice to see the sport grow.

This summer, they are opening a new 9-hole course much closer to town than the current courses in the area and right along a running path used by a lot of students. So I think the lack of interest in Charlottesville among the young'uns might change soon.

I live in Charlottesville, and compared to other places I've lived (Boulder, CO and Iowa City, IA) where there's a university, the college and high school crowd definitely haven't discovered disc golf to the same degree.

For the most part, you're dealing with two different types of students when comparing UVA to the University of Colorado. One schools intramurals are things along the lines of lacrosse, soccer and rowing. The other is into things that are now legal in said state. And disc golf.

the students not being heavily involved at UVA makes total sense when you consider that the nearest course is outside of town and a 20 minute drive from campus. i would imagine there will be a lot of student play at the new course in town.

i guess i'm old.... i think steady eddie designed the course in VB and that it was the first in the state.

steady ed did but it has been re-designed several times, including 2 weeks ago. i rarely go there, its too cramped and too busy

On a different note in the Virginia scene.....

Lead singer of GWAR - RIP....

A Richmond local. RIP.

I enjoyed when he would appear on Red Eye, sitting in the Richmond Fox affiliate newsroom, decked out in full Oderus Urungus garb. You know that had to be a site for everyone else working there.

Now, back to VA courses. Can anyone tell me anything about the Mountain Lake course in Pembroke? Is it worth the drive and money to play there? Based on the pics, the area looks great, but I can't tell what the course itself is like

A Richmond local. RIP.

I enjoyed when he would appear on Red Eye, sitting in the Richmond Fox affiliate newsroom, decked out in full Oderus Urungus garb. You know that had to be a site for everyone else working there.

Now, back to VA courses. Can anyone tell me anything about the Mountain Lake course in Pembroke? Is it worth the drive and money to play there? Based on the pics, the area looks great, but I can't tell what the course itself is like

i have heard good things about it but have not seen it myself. the movie Dirty Dancing was filmed up there.

Latest posts