• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TheBlueBomber's Bag

thebluebomber

This is my second year disc golfing and after spending last year learning the basics of the game, I have put together my first bag. I'm looking for honest feedback here, so feel free to praise/criticize my selections. Plastics and weights are listed below.

Putters/Approach:

Judge (Lucid) - 173g
McPro Aviar - 175g
Pig (Blizzard Champion) - 175g

Midrange:

ROC3 (Champion) - 172g
Buzz (ZFLX) - 172g
Comet (Z-Line) - 169g

Fairway Drivers:

Teebird (Champion) - 157g
Leopard (Champion) - 168g
FD (C-Line) - 175g

Distance Drivers:

2 Stratus (X-Line and D-Line) - 169g / 169g
2 Heat (Z-Line and Big-Z Line) - 172g / 172g
Monarch (Champion) - 171g
Mamba (Champion) - 171g
PD (C-Line) - 166g
F1 (400) - 174g
Boss (Star) - 175g

Below are current thoughts on my bag and where I am looking to go...

* Noodle Arm - Due to having a noodle arm, I have no business throwing anything over a Speed 11 disc. Taking the Boss out of my bag seems to be a no-brainer and I would replace it with a Wraith, Krait or Viking.

* Too Much Champion Plastic - Looking at my current bag, I have too much champion plastic. I have been watching "In the Bag" videos and noticed many pros seem to have a 50/50 split between DX/Pro and Champion style plastic. I am hoping to achieve a 50/50 split in the future by manifesting a couple of DX/Pro style discs.

* Too Much Variety - I currently have sixteen different discs in my bag. Although I have a disc for every type of shot, it may be worth thinning out the herd a bit and focusing on multiple molds/styles of certain discs. Discs that come to mind right away are Buzz's and ROC's.

I would write out what role each disc has in another post... That way it will be easier to see what discs are overlapping one another and should help you get more feedback.

In my opinion you have too many distance drivers, but without knowing what you are using them for its hard to recommend what you should get rid of. I agree with your assessment of ditching the Boss. I also see mostly under stable discs, maybe you can leave a few out and have most of your US shots covered with the Stratus and Heat combo. The Monarch is probably the worst disc I have ever thrown, very inconsistent flight.

As far as your putters mids and fairways, there is much less clutter. If you like the discs in your bag in these categories I'd leave it the way it is.

Hard to give feedback without knowing how you throw. How far are you throwing your fairway drivers and Mids?

* Noodle Arm - Due to having a noodle arm, I have no business throwing anything over a Speed 11 disc. Taking the Boss out of my bag seems to be a no-brainer and I would replace it with a Wraith, Krait or Viking.

First, the Stratus is hardly a long distance driver, even though it says it's one. It's more of a midrange to control driver. Good disc (I have one, one of my first discs), but its not a driver.

Second, I agree with the sentiment of taking out the Boss. I have a Krait and I like it a lot. I have a Wraith, too, and you'll have to determine if yours is right for you. I try to have an overstable driver to fight the wind, and a stable/understable driver for max distance with my noodle arm.

* Too Much Champion Plastic - Looking at my current bag, I have too much champion plastic. I have been watching "In the Bag" videos and noticed many pros seem to have a 50/50 split between DX/Pro and Champion style plastic. I am hoping to achieve a 50/50 split in the future by manifesting a couple of DX/Pro style discs.

It does not matter what others do. It's what YOU want and play best with that counts. If you like Champion plastic, by all means have a bag with nothing but, if that is your desire. In saying that, it's good to try other plastics and see what works best, but do what's best for you, not what someone else does in a video.

* Too Much Variety - I currently have sixteen different discs in my bag. Although I have a disc for every type of shot, it may be worth thinning out the herd a bit and focusing on multiple molds/styles of certain discs. Discs that come to mind right away are Buzz's and ROC's.

There are some on DGCR that are mold minimalists, and some who season in a mold to different types of shots. That's all fine, but I am not one of them. I have 14 different molds in my core bag, and only in the case of my Star Tern and Hannah Leatherman Tern do I duplicate a mold (and sometimes another disc replaces one of those Terns). I prefer this to seasoning in a disc for months if not years (I have yet to season in a Champion plastic disc) and then losing that disc. :(

There's nothing wrong with either approach; do what is best for YOU.

As to your bag, it looks pretty reasonable. I would encourage having an overstable mid, such as a Gator or a Zone, for fighting headwinds.

Here's a deeper breakdown of my discs...

Putters/Approach:

Judge (Lucid) - 173g
* This has been my main putter in the spring due to cooler temps. The lucid plastic provides a good grip in the cool weather and I enjoy the light fade this disc provides for putts. This will probably be my primary putter until summer weather.

McPro Aviar - 175g
* This disc was bought on a whim. Innova was selling McPro Aviars in the spring and I had to see what Paul McBeth's disc was all about. I am still breaking in my Aviar, but like how it flies so far. I see this becoming my main putter during the summer when the heat hits. Last year, I had a Innova Dart and enjoyed how DX plastic felt in my hands.

Pig (Blizzard Champion) - 175g
* I throw RHBH and am most accurate when throwing hyzers on approaches. With that being said, adding the Pig to my bag was an easy decision. I started throwing this disc last fall and really enjoy the flight pattern. With ratings of 3|1|0|3, I can put this disc in the air and it generally sticks the landing with minimal roll. I throw this disc on approach/upshots and I will use it for putting from time to time.

Midrange:

ROC3 (Champion) - 172g
* This disc has an excellent fade (5|4|0|3), and is my primary approach shot disc. Like the Pig, this disc is my hyzer workhorse for approach shots.

Buzz (ZFLX) - 172g
* When facing narrow throwing lanes or needing to aim straight at the basket, I will use the Buzz. This disc flies straight to the basket and is a good secondary option when I cannot utilize the ROC3.

Comet (Z-Line) - 169g
* My first disc golf purchase was an X-Line Comet. I really enjoyed the straight flight of the disc, however a thousand tree hits later, the disc became super understable. This spring, I purchased a Z-Line Comet and once again have a stable midrange. I use this disc from time-to-time for straight line approaches, but it doesn't get as much love as I mainly use my ROC3/Buzz.

Fairway Drivers:

Teebird (Champion) - 157g
* This is my workhorse fairway driver and overall favorite disc in my bag. Throw it on a straight line and watch it fade hard at the very end. I use this overstable disc on shorter Par 3's and longer approach shots where I have a narrow window to work with.

Leopard (Champion) - 168g
* Understable fairway driver primarily used on shorter Par 3's and longer approach shots. Pretty simple disc to throw and I enjoy the easy control. I also own this disc in G-Star/Pro plastic, however those molds are currently in my winter bag.

FD (C-Line) - 175g
* When straight-line shots are needed on short Par 3's or long approaches, this is my disc of choice. If I had to nickname this disc, I'd call it the "Longer, Straighter Leopard". :D

Distance Drivers:

2 Stratus (X-Line and D-Line) - 169g / 169g
* When I first started disc golf, the Stratus was one of my first discs purchased. I enjoy using these discs for anhyzer throws. I carry two molds as my D-Line plastic is beat in and more understable than my X-Line.

2 Heat (Z-Line and Big-Z Line) - 172g / 172g
* I purchased a Heat Z-Line last year as a stable long range driver option. After this disc got beat-in, it became slightly understable. I purchased a Big-Z Line Heat this spring to fill my stable long range driver void...for now.

Monarch (Champion) - 171g / Mamba (Champion) - 171g
* When I need a little more distance anhyzer drives, I choose the Monarch or Mamba. Both discs are pretty similar with the Mamba being a tad more understable than the Monarch.

PD (C-Line) - 166g / F1 (400) - 174g
* These are my overstable drivers. At this time, my PD is thrown exclusively and the F1 just sits in my bag. I am contemplating getting rid of my F1 and replacing it with a different overstable driver.

Boss (Star) - 175g
* This disc will most likely be taken out of my bag. I rarely throw the Boss and I do not have the arm strength to throw a Speed 13 disc.

Latest posts