• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] This guy's ROC love; crazy or perfect?

Get a Buzzz and a Roc. Put them next to each other in the bag. Dim the lights, add some Barry White, a little red wine, and wait for the magic hybrid to happen. It'll be called the Boc or Ruzzz. It will change the world of disc golf as we know it. Volcanoes will erupt, fault lines will quake, and rivers will flood.

Rocs are indeed very versatile discs in different plastics and stages of wear, he's definitely not wrong about that. But if you don't like how a Roc feels, then you won't like throwing them, and they won't work for you. Buzzz is a different type of disc, and while you can have multiple stages of wear of those too and they will be useful, they won't be able to cover the same range as Rocs can.

There's plenty of good advice in here, but the quotation above is most pithy, in my opinion. To get the Roc's versatility from Discraft's mids, consider a combination of the "hive," e.g., Wasp, Hornet, Buzzz. A new Buzzz is probably going to start out stable to understable, so to match the natural overstability of a new Roc, you could add a Hornet or a Wasp. Discraft fans say that their molds are more consistent than Innova's, and it's definitely true that certain Innova molds produce inconsistent performance, but in my experience a DX Roc is a DX Roc. Just be aware of the variety of "Roc" molds out there, since your hatred of the Roc you tried may not apply to the other Roc flavors.

I dont buy into the whole "doesnt fell good" thing.
Imo, if you can throw a roc well but choose a buzzz instead is different than not being able to throw rocs.

Im one of those roc crazy people as well carrying 6 in my bag and if I could I would carry more but the roc is awesome and I think that you just need to take what he told you and use it but instead of him telling you to throw rocs you should just throw whatever midrange you like best.

I hated roc's till i got ahold of some champ ones. I am part of the love per-say. I'll still never throw a kc or dx but star and champ rocs (not + mold) are so darn awesome.

I too hated the Roc when I first started playing, but as I learned more about the game and my technique improved. I thought I'd give it another shot. Well now I carry one in my bag and it's one of my goto mids/drivers.
I'm not a "5" Roc kind a guy. Just one for me thank you. With sooooo many molds out there now. I just don't see the need to have a new, semi new, old, and beat to crud Roc. When my Senntinal (new), CE Roc (semi new), Buzzz (old), and Buzzz SS (beat to crud) do the trick. Oh well, to each his own.

So maybe you should try it again. You might be suprised....or not :)

I never hated how the Roc flies, in fact I love how it flies. But it just feels borderline repulsive in my hands. I tried one out for a month and couldn't get over it. It's the damn bead, it's just not meant to be in my case.

I think the advice that was given to the original poster at the local event was more directed towards mold reduction than telling him to get a Roc.
What he said about Rocs is true and a very popular route for many disc golfers but it can be done with any disc.
I carry 4 Wizards, 3 Buzzzes, 3 Teebirds, and 3 Destroyers. All are the same mold but have different flight paths to cover a wide variety of shots.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=640
I posted this in a thread earlier today and I think it is a very good explanation of mold minimalism and its benefits.

Thanks all for the advice, I made my mind today and went with two d buzzzs and one ESP. I plan to beat one d buzzz to crap for an understable disc. Looking back my roc was a San Marino when I was fairly new to the game so maybe someday I'll grab a DX roc, but for now i'm breaking i'm buzzzs.
Thanks again all!
PS sorry for no tattoo