• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This Should Be A Concern

Worse, the park now has a dedicated officer that shadows our league players, hiding in an out of the way area (with clear lines of sight to much of the park) with binoculars. He swoops in and tickets at the drop of a hat.

This park must be in an incredibly wealthy area with a huge budget and police staff to spare. Think of the salary and benefits cost of a sheriff's deputy or police officer. A dedicated officer for this purpose means the parks have just dedicated like $75,000 in tax dollars annually to preventing a few people from drinking alcohol in a park. They must REALLY hate drinking there. Most jurisdictions are still experiencing budget problems and are looking for places to cut back, I cannot imagine allocating this amount of limited resources to what is in reality a non-problem.

America has a very long history of alcohol consumption. Thats why a blind eye is often turned towards drinking in a public park...as long as it doesnt become a nuisance. And I believe that was what the OP was saying...there are people just filling up trash cans with bottles and cans, and sometimes fragrantly littering. That's wrong.

There's a huge difference between having a few beers during a round and a group of 10 guys each pounding down a sixer, then maybe a few more. My main concern isn't even them being loud or obnoxious...its them DRIVING HOME after the round. Unless they walked to the course, that means they are getting behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle after consuming large quantities of booze. I'm rather certain that is why public consumption laws exist in the first place. Unlike Europe or Asia, America and Canada do not have outstanding, cheap, convenient public transportation options. That should be the real concern, in my eyes anyway.

Listen guys, if you want to drink beer or other alcohol while playing, I have no problem with that. It will generally make it easier for me to beat you. If you have room in your bag, cart, or pockets to carry in full bottles or cans, you have room to carry them out when they're empty. And for goodness sake, be aware and intelligent enough to be discreet while consuming.

That may be the best paragraph I've ever read on these forums. Truth.

America has a very long history of alcohol consumption. Thats why a blind eye is often turned towards drinking in a public park...as long as it doesnt become a nuisance. And I believe that was what the OP was saying...there are people just filling up trash cans with bottles and cans, and sometimes fragrantly littering. That's wrong.

There's a huge difference between having a few beers during a round and a group of 10 guys each pounding down a sixer, then maybe a few more. My main concern isn't even them being loud or obnoxious...its them DRIVING HOME after the round. Unless they walked to the course, that means they are getting behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle after consuming large quantities of booze. I'm rather certain that is why public consumption laws exist in the first place. Unlike Europe or Asia, America and Canada do not have outstanding, cheap, convenient public transportation options. That should be the real concern, in my eyes anyway.

Well said. I agree 100%. Except I would replace consumtion with abuse.

Latest posts