• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This Should Be A Concern

Anyone ever notice that even in many locales where it is illegal to drink in the park by statute, its enforced sporadically at best as if its not a high priority? Well that's because its not a high priority.

Take that for what its worth.

True, and my guess is that either it really is low priority, or the "no alcohol" rule is to discourage public drunkenness. Just as it's easier to convict someone for an open container than drunk driving, it's easier to charge a drunk with possession of alcohol in violation of the rules. A lawyer can blur the lines and argue that someone wasn't really drunk, but it's harder to argue that the alcohol wasn't alcohol.

i luv America....

WE WANT YOU TO DRINK

but once you have we don't want you driving, walking or socializing in public

WE WANT YOU TO DRINK

but only in your home or a bar, don't bring your disgusting habits out in public where non-drinkers might see you

WE WANT YOU TO DRINK

but once the disease that drinking doles out takes hold were going to label you and do minimal efforts to help you regain control of your life while also pumping more ads of WE WANT YOU TO DRINK in your face.

WE WANT YOU TO DRINK

but we're also going to create all kinds of legal situations where if you had a drink at the wrong time it could **** you for life

BUT WE STILL WANT YOU TO DRINK

because we can tax it and control it much easier than all those drugs we keep illegal even though they're much safer

Who is the "we" of which you speak? Are you mad at capitalism or the government? Do you think the government (city,state, or federal) wants you to drink? Do you want alcohol companies to stop advertising? Interesting soap box...I'm confused...

so the problem is filling the trash cans with beers cans....NOT beer cans all over the park?

yes. which is evidence that there is drinking going on. in a park that doesnt allow it.

I'm going to translate tourney's answer from Sarcasm to English. :p

No. The problem is that it's illegal to drink in the park. And it could get a course pulled.

One point to the drug users before this thread gets shut down, or goes way off the rails: the smokeable which you all speak of is NOT healthier for you than alcohol. Neither one is healthy. They are both bad for you, but can have limited damage if you use moderation.

That being said, the issue is using alcohol or that other stuff in public...neither of which is allowed. It doesn't matter how you think, what your views are or which propaganda you believe. It's against the law. Don't do it. Stop others from doing it. or lose the course.

Like I said, back in Colorado we don't have an issue with the drinking as much as we do with the other stuff. I've tried every tactic from gentle chiding to straight up taking away a persons illegal thing, but the one I found has worked the best is the one I posted earlier. Just tell them you saw a cop and that last week they busted two or three guys for drinking in the park (in this instance) and they will generally high-tail it out of there...hopefully not in a car.

Who is the "we" of which you speak? Are you mad at capitalism or the government? Do you think the government (city,state, or federal) wants you to drink? Do you want alcohol companies to stop advertising? Interesting soap box...I'm confused...

first of all i'm not mad at anybody, it just makes me laugh when somebody says one thing then does another; and the government and corporations do a lot of that.

secondly your ideas about the government and corporations being seperate entities is interesting.

and yes i think they want me to drink, and i do like a good citizen.

first of all i'm not mad at anybody, it just makes me laugh when somebody says one thing then does another; and the government and corporations do a lot of that.

secondly your ideas about the government and corporations being seperate entities is interesting.

and yes i think they want me to drink, and i do like a good citizen.

Got it.:)

One point to the drug users before this thread gets shut down, or goes way off the rails: the smokeable which you all speak of is NOT healthier for you than alcohol. Neither one is healthy. They are both bad for you, but can have limited damage if you use moderation.

That being said, the issue is using alcohol or that other stuff in public...neither of which is allowed. It doesn't matter how you think, what your views are or which propaganda you believe. It's against the law. Don't do it. Stop others from doing it. or lose the course.

Like I said, back in Colorado we don't have an issue with the drinking as much as we do with the other stuff. I've tried every tactic from gentle chiding to straight up taking away a persons illegal thing, but the one I found has worked the best is the one I posted earlier. Just tell them you saw a cop and that last week they busted two or three guys for drinking in the park (in this instance) and they will generally high-tail it out of there...hopefully not in a car.

So its alright for you to do illegal/immoral things on the course (lying, stealing, assualting), but not anyone else?

I don't want to do this with you again. I respect your opinion, but I hope we never end up in the same group.

Oh, and the #1 news story on yahoo a couple of days ago was about how the "smokeable" was now thought to help the body regulate insulin, and may be helpful in treating diabetes. And our own government recently released a study that said that there is something in it that could be a powerful anti cancer agent. You can run a car on alcohol. No comparison imo.

Just play like you want to be invited back.

I drink like a fish, but not while I'm playing. It's not like we're playing quarters or anything.

Treat every DG course like a fine woman, with lots of repect and class. Leave it better than when you found it.

We need to build our own reputation.
^this is how we should be.

I usually fill the trash cans with the trail of cans dropped by local chuckers. Course, ten cent deposit ensures they only stay a short while. Parks with legal drinking, should expect drinking and use my pay for play money to empty the dang cans.

Let'em pull the course. Then nobody will use that section of the park but homeless, cruisers, and drug dealers. And the course will go right back in. The cycle of idiocy continues like it always does.

edit : nevermind. It's about the drinking being illegal, which by itself is so ridiculous that I'll leave shaking my head and saying "only in america..."

Last edited:
I would just be happy with no glass bottles

Would rather pick up 200 cans or plastic bottles than the pieces of one broken bottle

//seriously puzzles me why someone would carry glass through a park for a couple of hours.. weight, breakage risk, does not compact for carry-in/carry-out, loose bottle caps (and no, your bottled beer is not that good you prissy f$*%s)

Well, just refer any naysayers to their city councils and legislation in order to pull all municipal ball golf courses as well. I've seen far more beer consumption on municipal ball golf courses than I've ever seen on disc golf courses.

Not sure how the laws are there but here the golf courses have a license to sell beer and it's the only alcohol they allow on the course. Although many still pack their own in. The parks however are fairly straight forward. No consuming of alcohol. I've never seen it be an issue other than drunk dads at the kids baseball games in the summer. Most times if you're disc golfing and not doing anything stupid they will look the other way if you have some beers and pick up after yourself. Really the only issue here is glass over cans and how much those seem to break and miss the receptacles.

I can't stand governing overlords stepping on personal liberty.

If I'm not hurting anyone else, I should be free to do as I want.

I don't drink when I play, but I have no issue with people who choose to. If they put their cans in the trash, they affect NO ONE.

I don't smoke and hate cigarettes, but making a law banning business owners from allowing smoking in THEIR establishments is simply wrong.

Disc golf is not going away, it's growing. If parks don't want us, we will go elsewhere.

Disc golf is not going away, it's growing. If parks don't want us, we will go elsewhere.

Considering most parks aren't making money on disc golf courses, and in many cases, they cost the parks department money each year (upkeep like mowing, emptying trash, etc, isn't free), I don't think the "threat" of taking our game elsewhere is going to faze them in the least.

Besides, regardless of this issue, the future of our game isn't in the parks, it's "elsewhere".

I can't stand governing overlords stepping on personal liberty.

If I'm not hurting anyone else, I should be free to do as I want.

I don't drink when I play, but I have no issue with people who choose to. If they put their cans in the trash, they affect NO ONE.

I don't smoke and hate cigarettes, but making a law banning business owners from allowing smoking in THEIR establishments is simply wrong.

Where is elsewhere? 85% of the courses listed in the US are public courses. Burning those bridges doesn't seem like it's worth it just to have a beer while playing.

edit : nevermind. It's about the drinking being illegal, which by itself is so ridiculous that I'll leave shaking my head and saying "only in america..."

Is drinking in public legal everywhere in Switzerland? I'm sure that the US isn't the only country that doesn't openly allow drinking in public everywhere.

Is drinking in public legal everywhere in Switzerland? I'm sure that the US isn't the only country that doesn't openly allow drinking in public everywhere.

Everywhere that I have been in Europe, you could pretty much drink anywhere. On the beaches in southern France, if you ordered a beer, you got it in a glass bottle, with a glass, ON THE BEACH.

I think its mostly us that has a problem with the alcohol, and the muslim countries, of course.

Note to our European friends. Watch the movie Beer Fest.