• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Thoughts on the SS Avenger

Oregon Southpaw

Bogey Member
Lost my Sidewinder today (which was still real overstable in Champ) and a buddy gave me this as a replacement.

Is this a decent replacement? It looks like from Joe's Flight Chart the Avenger is a little slower with less fade.

Thoughts, opinions, embittered groans, I'll take 'em all.

The Avenger SS is an awesome disc. Mine flys similar to my Katana but its much more consistent. The Katana is a lot harder to get the release just perfect to get it to fly like it should, my Avenger SS is much more forgiving and gives me a similar flight with similar distance.

I like both the Sidewinder and the Avenger SS (in Z plastic... Pro D gets beat up REAL FAST). The Avenger SS will hold the line better, but the Sidewinder will "S" for better distance. For me, the distance is close to the same.

As far as a comparison... the Avenger SS is the closest thing Discraft makes to matching the Sidewinder.

My Sidewinders and Roadrunners will go about 300 feet with a nice S flight. My Avenger SS and my Katana will go about 375-400 feet with a nice S flight. The statement "Katanas and Avenger SS are like sidewinders and roadrunners on steroids" is 100% accurate IMO.

My Sidewinders and Roadrunners will go about 300 feet with a nice S flight. My Avenger SS and my Katana will go about 375-400 feet with a nice S flight. The statement "Katanas and Avenger SS are like sidewinders and roadrunners on steroids" is 100% accurate IMO.

I can't argue with this... when I release it just right, the Avenger SS just keeps going.

I have a few friends that have and love their Avenger SS'. Seem like a good understable driver right outta the box, although I had an FLX Avenger SS that flew like absolute crap! From that experience I have been sketched out about buying another Avenger SS, although I would buy one in a different plastic for sure.

I had an ESP Avenger SS and it was awesome till i lost it. Bought a Z and i hate it. It just flips over, good roller disc i guess?

I had an ESP Avenger SS and it was awesome till i lost it. Bought a Z and i hate it. It just flips over, good roller disc i guess?

I have pretty much resorted to using my Z Avenger SS for rollers as it turns over way to easy. I can still hyzer flip it if need be, but there are just too many other good drivers that can achieve the same results for me on a consistant basis. But it does roll really well! :)

Mine is bread and butter. I hate throwing that clear green sunofab, but on holes that are long & to the right... it is the shiz. I throw mine RHBH slight hyzer, and hard. It will run flat till about 175 ft, then turns right. If high enough, it'll fade. If not, it doesn't. Beat Z, 171.

Love me some a.ss;)
Though I'm a baseline lover, I suggest z for this disc around the 169 weight range. Great for hflips, turnovers with zero fade, and rollers(though I suck at em).
Any specific questions?

the Avenger SS was my go to driver for a long time. I lost my fly dye on on a local course, put my spare in the bag, then lost it the very next round on a different course. I haven't replaced it yet. I loved them for long (for me) S shots in the 340ish range. Both of mine were 169.

Just got an AvengerSS in Z.............love it, flies nice and straight with no fade if low to the ground and with a little height gives a nice little fade. Only problem I seem to have with mine is the wood magnet that was installed by Discraft...........find one without that feature if you can.

I almost bought this disc, though after hearing it compared to the katana, I'm pretty glad I didn't. I hated my katana, I just traded it today for an unstamped 162g champ beast, just cause it looked nice, lol

In Z plastic they take a while to break in. I use mine for straight shots, shots where if I overpower going right isn't a bad idea, and for turnover rollers. Mine isn't broken in very much so I have to anny it a lot at this point...but it's getting there.

Great disc.

\/\/

Those of you saying its a roller disc, have you ever tried hyzer flip drives with it? Thats what its best at. Take off on a sharp hyzer, watch it flip and just keeps going right till it hits the ground. I could never use something that under stable for a roller.

Latest posts