• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Threw a disc I want to use again on next shot, but dont want to use mini

Suspect

Birdie Member
Basically....Say you throw a disc that is behind a tree. You want to have more space to throw it, but the disc you want to use is your lie.

Can you put a mini under the disc or in back of it by any chance?

I use 1 disc I love a lot. I hate when I have to pick it up and have the mini closer to the tree....less room.

You must place your mini at the front of your disc. I always thought it was odd that you could/must change your lie by placing a mini.

802.06B
"Alternatively, the player may mark the lie by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface, touching the front of the thrown disc on the line of play."

Carry 2 of that disc. I always carry at least 2 putters for exactly this reason. If my footing gets worse placing my mini, I grab putter #2.

Last edited:
Why not use another disc to mark your lie? What difference does it make if it is a mini or a disc?

It is not legal to use a disc. Also, marking rules still apply and the other disc would have to be in the same position as the mini.

You must place your mini at the front of your disc. I always thought it was odd that you could/must change your lie by placing a mini.

802.06B
"Alternatively, the player may mark the lie by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface, touching the front of the thrown disc on the line of play."

Carry 2 of that disc. I always carry at least 2 putters for exactly this reason. If my footing gets worse placing my mini, I grab putter #2.

I am same with putters. I use twoin same plastic, well 4 2 in one plastic and 2 in another both sets have a more beat in putter for long putting labeled approach putter and another less beat in putter labeled putter in the top but then I can use the longer putter for the same short shot. Most molds except the few specialty disc like a left turn & roller Archer or for an uphill/Downhill putter do I carry more then one disc of the mold, though most other discs in the bag they are a more grip plastic except in 2 cases where the disc is only made in one mold like my midrange or a midrange approach disc hybrid, there I have 2 in same plastic and about the same weight.

However with new rules it is nice that as long as the foot is within the 20 cm wide x 30 cm tall square now that one can use mini and still get a better footing then with the old rules of having to be right up to the mini.

If you're the kind of person that wants to game the rules, then use the largest legal mini (15cm), place the mini vertically (touching the front edge of the thrown disc and the ground), remove the disc, and rotate the mini down to the playing surface.

If you're the kind of person that wants to game the rules, then use the largest legal mini (15cm), place the mini vertically (touching the front edge of the thrown disc and the ground), remove the disc, and rotate the mini down to the playing surface.

Isn't that going to make your mini illegally tall?

I do not believe you're allowed to move your mini after marking? In any direction or on any plane? :p

.. then with the old rules of having to be right up to the mini.

From the 2013 rule book:
Lie - The spot on the playing surface behind the marker, upon which the player takes a stance in accordance with the rules. It is a line 30 centimeters in length extending back along the line of play from the rear edge of the marker disc.

For the record if anyone was confused with my original post, I dont want to place a mini in front of the disc I want to use again simply due to having that extra room to wrap around something like a tree.

As Dan said upstream, no, you can't reuse your thrown disc without marking with a mini. And you must place that mini at the front edge of your thrown disc. So the only solution to your desire is to have two of the same disc.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It is not legal to use a disc. Also, marking rules still apply and the other disc would have to be in the same position as the mini.

Why not? The rules specify your footing area, right? If this is so, why must only a mini be used? It seems really weird to me.

If you could use a disc to mark your lie, then there would be no clear distinction between a thrown disc that came to rest and a marked lie. By using different diameter discs -- discs and minis -- the distinction is always clear.

No matter if you find that sensible or not, that's what the rules offer. You have the possibility to choose within these limits. If you either have bad footing or otherwise a worse throwing angle, well, that's bad but you cannot change it -- accept it and try to throw a better shot in the first go, next time. ;-)

I know that I either have to play the disc as it lies or to use a mini.....guess I better beat up another disc that's similar

From the 2013 rule book:

Was meaning before that even the rules from the 2006 stated that the person foot must be touching the mini marker to within 15 cm, a max diameter mini marker from of the min marker a yet sill behind the min, so behind the min got to be a confusing concept. As behind the mini was taken by some to mean actually behind the mini and not up to the 1/2 part of the mini.

Last edited:
Why not? The rules specify your footing area, right? If this is so, why must only a mini be used? It seems really weird to me.

If you can use another normal disc, it would be difficult for other players to know if you have already marked your disc or not, so If you do it again, and again, you could potentially move your lie. Even by mistake