• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw in vs long putt

Spin putters make any kind of distinguishing based on throwing style unfeasible. For many (like Lizotte), the only difference between 25ft and 100ft is the speed at which they complete the same motion.

So context becomes important; why are you asking the question? If it's to establish what qualifies as a "longest putt" during a tournament, I would say anything that goes in that isn't off the tee would qualify. People will complain but it's unfair to the guy who tosses in a 100 footer to start nitpicking at the form he used.

Basically, i just asked to start an interesting discussion. I was thinking about it during my round yesterday and was curious what you all thought.

Basically, i just asked to start an interesting discussion. I was thinking about it during my round yesterday and was curious what you all thought.

I used to mull this over when I was keeping my putting stats in my scorebook on here. I never really came to a specific conclusion, so I just stopped keeping track of my putting stats, lol.

For me, if I'm in a putting stance and using my normal putting motion, it's a putt. I can putt out to around 70ft.

If it's even a shortened backhand (meaning I'm turning away/aside from the basket) or a forehand, it's a throw in.

Disc+Golf+001.jpg

Putting from the tee box. :cool:

Oh great, here comes a debate about whether par 1s exist.

To add to the OP's question: What if a player decides to straddle-style a 25 foot throw sideways off the tee to get to that wider, easier, other line through the woods? Is that a putt with a purpose other than to put the disc in the basket on this throw?

Anytime you change from your normal putting style.

I struggle at the distance where a putt/throw both could work... If i only could drill long ass putts from 60' no issue ...

Most seem to throw slight nose up like hyzer shots from what ive seen when around 50-100ish feet.

To me, a putt is a throw using a putting motion and/or stance, no matter the distance.

I used to do the weird (to me) jump putt/hyzer thing but it never worked. The last month of so I have been practicing fan grip throws from my sternum with just a slight turn instead of a reachback. Anything over 50 feet or so, I do this now. Put in one for 60-65 feet last night during a round and parked several others from 130 feet in. To me, the benefit is that I can be much more controlled and throw the disc softer and on a flat plane instead of on a hyzer. If I miss the putt, it lands flat and sits within 10 feet. I've put a ton of practice into this though, so YMMV.

I like the sound of that putting style. What kind of putter do you use for that shot? Is it different than your "usual" putter?

I think it depends on whose putting. If your new, then a 10 foot throw is a challenging putt.
A seasoned veteran may consider it a legitimate run at 100 feet.
Usually it just involves factoring in some loft as you get farther away.

If I can reach it with my putting form, that's most likely what I'll be using.

A 100' shot can be either a putt or an approach shot depending on the circumstances. I guess it can even be a drive if the hole is short enough.

Agreed.

I consider a putt anything I use my putting stance and delivery for while I'm going after the basket. I'll jump putt at 100' if I think I can make it, though now I normally throw my superhero.

Last edited:
if I make it, it's a putt. if I miss, it's an approach...

That joke never gets old. Every time someone on your card misses a putt, say "Nice approach." EVERY. TIME. You will be liked.

To me, its about the motion. Putting motion = putt, anything else = a throw. Outcome does not matter. For some people, like Simon, the motion stays incredibly much the same no matter how far they are out. For me, anything beyond 40ft or so I need to be doing all kinds of extra to get there, if I want to still call it a putt. Any further out, I usually default to a real lazy mini anhyzer spin shot with my S-P2 and hope it flattens out to hit the basket.

What if its a half run that happens to fall?

Then I tell everybody that I totally meant to do that and it counts as a putt:D. That's why my % tends to go down with distance but I'm miraculously 100% from about 50ft and out.

In reality though, I try to avoid ever doing "half runs." For me, they pretty much never go in if I don't commit to it 100% and if I try and leave myself the opportunity to get lucky it almost always just turns out worse than an approach.

I like the sound of that putting style. What kind of putter do you use for that shot? Is it different than your "usual" putter?

Depends on what I'm trying to do. I bag a Pure, Harp, and Judge. I like the Judge the best because it's slightly OS, so predictable. I do it with the Harp if it's windy or the Pure if I'm absolutely trying to go straight at the basket because of trouble left or right or if there's a drop-off behind and I'm trying to make sure that if I miss, I miss short. You can also use a mid; I use my Mako3 for this from farther out because it powers down well and this throw is more about wrist at the end than arm speed. I have a little practice area across the street from my house that's perfect for 130 feet throws or less. I set up my basket there after work most evenings. It's really improved my short game.

We were playing a fun Birdie Bash over the weekend with most of the holes being wooded but under 200 feet. You have to make it in by your second shot, or pick up the disc and move on. So I threw first, got in pretty close, and we all said, "that's OK, you've got a putt..." The next guy clacked off an early tree and had a worse looking second shot to make from about 150 feet. I said, "that's Ok, it's a putt." :p

What is, or is not a putt, then?
To quote supreme court justice Potter Stewart, " I know it when I see it."

I distinguish it based on the throwing style used. If you're throwing with a putting motion (jump and step putts included), it's a putt. If you're not, it's not. Distance is essentially irrelevant. I haven't encountered many players where there no discernible difference in their throwing motion no matter how far they're trying to throw it.

My thoughts exactly.

If I use my normal putting stance I consider it a putt. I would say my putting range is about 50 feet.
If I am inside 50 feet, but have to change my stance or disc due to obstructions, I still consider that a putt.

Seriously, I don't actually putt further out than around 30 feet or so. Anything that goes in the basket outside of that range is an accident. Lol.

Latest posts