• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw with your dad?

DiscChainBasket18

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I played in a little local doubles tourney yesterday & happened to have a father & son playing in our group. The kid was my partner & the father was with another in our group. The kid was actually quite good. The father was average & only threw side-arm. To his defense he had only been playing about 4 years. The two of them had some great camaraderie & I really enjoyed their back & forth banter. My dad has walked around the course with us watching us throw but never would think of joining in. My belief is he would be too worried about looking bad in front of others. Out of my family, one of my brothers has taken to the game & actually bought his own discs, bag, etc & plays when he can. He is very competetive & always enjoys taking me on. I've been playing much longer so I can usually crush him but he keeps trying & it makes it fun! My other brother & sister only play when we are in town visiting. My ex-girlfriend walked around with us for years before she tried it but once she threw her first disc she was hooked HARD! She would play almost every day & loved the game!
Question: How many people play disc golf in your family?

My wife is my usual playing partner. Our son plays on the rare occasion. My brother plays a few times a year. And my sons live out of state but they play when we visit each other.

I've been trying to get my son to play with me and my friends but he would rather sit around and play Call of Duty all day. :( Don't get me wrong, I enjoy time on CoD also but typically when the weather is bad and it's unpleasant to be outdoors doing something else. My brother plays occasionally but he's got health problems that make the hike a challange.

My dad has walked the course with me a few times, but he can't throw because of an old shoulder injury and can't walk very far because of DVT (he's in his 60's).

My wife used to play with me on random occasions but I don't think she's ever played a complete 18 holes. She usually gets bored with DG and just wants to walk and distract me :p

My son is only 4 months old.

My dad plays whenever he's visiting or we're visiting him, he enjoys it and has his own discs but rarely plays without us. Ashleigh's dad plays fairly often, he's not great but he has played a few tournaments in novice and got a basket for his backyard.

Me and my dad play all the time. He's actually the one that got me into the game. He's 49 but acts like a 25 year old.

Its pretty awesome.

Im the only one in my entire family that plays, Ive tried to get my dad out but he says his shoulder cant handle it. Hopefully Ill get him to play before the weather turns.

My twenty yr old son plays with me. My 17 yr daughter has no use for this game.

Well if my sons could answer this thread they would say yes.....I have two sons....6 1/2 and 5 and they both have their own discs and bags. I take them out all the time during the summer. I want them to play in the Junior Jam at TSP.

My 9 year old son was the one who came up with the idea to play. He and I play at least once a week. My 7 year old daughter comes once in a while, but gets frustrated easily. I showed her some videos of Sarah Hokom and she's sort of inspired to play better.

Zero for me so far, but I keep trying to get my fiance to play. She's mildly interested but hasn't played yet.

I don't think I could get my old man on the course.

Let me count.
I have 3 brothers and 3 nephews who are regulars on the tournament scene.
One combination (brother & grown son) has traveled to and played a ton of events together.
On of the other brothers has a 12-year-old son who just started playing tournaments.
The 3rd brother has a 4-year-old who plays disc golf with us all the time, and played in a juniors tournament this year.
One of the other nephews has a 5-year-old son who plays all the time, and has played in the club's local tournament.
Uh, I lost count, but there's a bunch of us playing around these parts, including a 4 father-&-son combos in my family.

My two sons and I started together when they were 7 and 6. One is still very active and the other plays sometimes. My wife got in on the game 10 years ago and she plays when it is "not too hot". I am 66 and still play in tournaments, although I did not say play well.

Latest posts