• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw with your dad?

I played in a little local doubles tourney yesterday & happened to have a father & son playing in our group. The kid was my partner & the father was with another in our group. The kid was actually quite good. The father was average & only threw side-arm. To his defense he had only been playing about 4 years. The two of them had some great camaraderie & I really enjoyed their back & forth banter. My dad has walked around the course with us watching us throw but never would think of joining in. My belief is he would be too worried about looking bad in front of others. Out of my family, one of my brothers has taken to the game & actually bought his own discs, bag, etc & plays when he can. He is very competetive & always enjoys taking me on. I've been playing much longer so I can usually crush him but he keeps trying & it makes it fun! My other brother & sister only play when we are in town visiting. My ex-girlfriend walked around with us for years before she tried it but once she threw her first disc she was hooked HARD! She would play almost every day & loved the game!
Question: How many people play disc golf in your family?

My dad and I have played in 4 states, this weekend we take on the legendary Connor Jones!

Dad got me in the game at age 6. I still have his old bullet xd's/150 class sharks/and the ole hammers/vipers lol.

2 of 4 of my brothers play, my dad and stepdad play and my brother in-law. My dad turned us kids onto it some odd 15 years ago at a park with painted number on tree's. Yes we used actual Frisbee back then and it was a bit different.

Granted me and one of my brothers are a bit more avid but we usually get together as a group and play a local course few times a year.

My Dad, Mom, Sister, Brother, Brother-in-law, Sister-in-law and Niece all play. It started with me bugging them all to play and it grew. :)

My father-in-law is my usually playing partner. We usually plan a couple of road trips a year to hit up new courses.

I carry some of my Pop's cremated remains in my bag during tournament rounds. Does this count?

My father's walked a few courses with me but the coolest thing - when I posted the Save Bracket's petition on my FB page, he let me know later that night that he signed it. He said "it sounds like a cool place, I'd like to walk that course with you next time I'm in town."
Awesome.

I play with my Dad and little brother but I think they only play when I'm there, despite living 3.2 miles from Woods at Beauty Hill. I'm the only one that's really serious about it but it's all just an excuse to hang out with family anyway so it's all good.

My dad, 2 nephews, and me all started at the same time about a year ago. We try to get my brother out there too, but it doesn't seem to appeal to him that much.

Was it Montana and Chuck?

Montana was on my son's card the last two rounds at Worlds this year; Chuck and his wife were walking with the group most of the time, and I was caddying for my son. Enjoyed getting to know them. Looking forward to seeing them back down here at East Roswell next time they're in town.

So, yeah, my son plays. This was his second Worlds -- finished next to last in <13 in Ohio in 2010, and finished at the bottom of the next-to-last card in <16 this time around. Had a great time at both though. He can't quite beat me consistently yet -- has bested me once and tied one other time, but once he gets his head around the mental aspect of the game, he'll mop the floor with me. Throws farther than I do most of the time. Last ratings update he moved ahead of where I was before -- only a 20 point increase in mine kept me ahead of him, and when some crappy tournament rounds I've shot recently get into the next update he might pull ahead.

My two daughters (13 and 8) have both played off and on, but neither plays regularly yet. Wife has joined us a time or two but hasn't really gotten into it.

My son is my main playing partner. The one time we ended up on the same team during random doubles we actually ended up winning. My dad plays with us a few times a week, he even has his own bag and everything now. My brother and his girlfriend play as well. We usually play a round or two with them every week. And my 5 year old nephew is down to play anywhere, anytime. You guys may know him from his Youtube vid. My wife and daughter play as well, but they prefer when it's just us at the course for a nice mellow round.

My brother plays once in awhile. He's a snapjob though and usually quits by hole 5. It's not that he's that bad either, he just gets super frustrated by the occassional bad shot. I've tried to get my Dad to play but he'd rather fish. My Mother thinks it's silly, but still gives me a high-five when I tell her I shot a good round. My sister plays with her burnout friends once in awhile, but mostly just to have a puff or 7.

I play with my daughter who is 10 most of the time. She just started playing this summer and loves it. She wants to play the Homie tournament this year, I'll most likely caddy for her.

I got my Dad playing a little over a year ago and he loves it. My brother and I both play, so I think he enjoys hanging out with us. He plays OK, but gets a bit frustrated sometimes.

It is great hanging out with him and talking **** on the course though.

My brother got me playing, now I'm addicted and he doesn't play. My mom plays and is as addicted as I am though. My fiancé plays when she isn't working nights and I can talk her into it.

I have played with three members of my family. My dad likes it and owns some discs, he's kind of my backup when I can't get friends to play.

My older step-brother lives near a course, so when I'm near where he lives I play. He's really hooked, bought three discs the last time we played.

My younger sister lasted three holes and quit. She is very competitive and does not enjoy being bad at things.

My dad and I have played in 4 states, this weekend we take on the legendary Connor Jones!

Tell your dad I said hello.
It was my son who introduced me to the game 2 years ago when he was 18. We don't play together very much though, because he just plays to hang out with his friends while I am constantly trying to improve my game. Little **** still manages to beat or tie my score even though he only carries 2 discs and throws mostly thumbers.
I've since introduced my brother in law and 2 nephews to the game and they are full on addicted.