• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing 10-15 feet right on every drive

bucky926

Bogey Member
I've been working like hell on my form for over a year now (field practice, drills, etc...). I've gotten to the point where I can consistently throw my mids 300+ my fairways to around 350+ and I don't really throw drivers, but when I do they get to around 375.

The one thing I cannot stop doing (and it's getting to the point where I want to give up) is releasing my drives to the right. At first, I thought I just needed more accuracy all around, but I decided to focus on what the problem was. After looking at 10 rounds of 18 hole golf, of my 180 drives, 147 were released at minimum 5 feet too far to the right. This is destroying my game. On wooded courses I'm barely shooting 900 rated rounds (if that). I can't get out of intermediate because I throw everything to the right. I'm going to list what I've tried to correct the problem below.

-Making sure that I plant my foot before pivoting
-Starting my throw with my elbow bent and pulling on a straight line.
-throwing from my stomach as opposed to straight across my chest
-aiming farther to the left than normal (this would lead to throwing 15-30 feet right instead of 5-15 feet)

So I'm at a loss and looking for some advice. People say it's grip lock, but I just can't fix it. If I could eliminate this problem I would shave at least 5 strokes off my rounds. Any advice? I think it might be a mental thing at this point because I'm convinced I won't be able to fix it.

Mental issues can be the worst. You just need to keep telling yourself that you can release the disc on target. Without seeing your grip and stroke (I suggest a grip close up followed by your stroke if you decide to make and post a vid) I can't tell if its really mental for sure. But it definitely sounds like you are trying hard to fix your form.

I was also plagued with right pull releases. I had to change my grip to one with the thumb placed firmly on the edge of the wing instead of the flight plate or I would grip lock. Maybe changing to a variation of this style of grip may help you as well. Good luck working it out :)

If I can crank out that kind of distance by the time I hit my two year mark in October, that 10-15' to the right will be the least of my worries. With that being said, load up your left pocket with something heavy and tilt your hat to the side gangsta style.

I definitely will post a vid and grip shot. I never thought about my grip. I just picked a generic power grip and went with it. I'm not sure where my thumb should be on the top of the disc. I have it very close to the edge of the disc.

One of the odd side problems to this is that all the locals call me a bagger because my form is decent and I can bomb open holes. Then we get to a hole with a tight fairway and I smack the first tree on the right and everyone is like, "Oh, yeah..." It drives me mad.

use the driver youll get more skip ( extra d more left at end)

to me that sounds like a good problem you have.:thmbup:

the way i look at it is , if you throw right and play for the skip you have a 30 ft gap you can land in, and never be more than 15ft from the basket. ( 15 ft on either side of pole)

if you throw aiming for the pole you only have the 15ft to the left. and if you hook you could be 30ft to the left.

Last edited:
tqbh this sounds like paralysis by analysis

Hiero speaks the truth.

You say you aim further to the left (Im assuming you're turning your entire body in that direction) yet still releasing just as much to the right... this sounds entirely mental to me. Perhaps try not even thinking about the target, just line your body up, relax, and throw

I should add that the problem is horribly exaggerated from a standstill. On standstill shots, I often yank a 50 foot approach so far right that I'm pin high 30 feet right of the basket. I ended up breaking down and buying a zone just for this problem and I still manage to yank it far enough right that I'm outside the circle.

Just today I had an easy 30 foot hyzer approach between two trees spaced about 15 feet apart. I yanked it to the right of the trees, hit a different tree and ended up taking a 6 on an easy 4. This is killing my game and it's probably in my crazy head.

Do a video...that'll be the best way to see what's going on. Since you're consistently doing it, it might be a relatively easy fix. Even though you're doing the "wrong" thing, you're doing things consistently, so that's actually a good thing (maybe). Possibly something as simple as altering your approach or the way you plant your pivot foot. Could be that your pull and plane alignment isn't quite what you think it is, too.

Does it happen more/worse when you aren't feeling relaxed? Or is it there all the time, no matter what.

edit: curious about the standstill issue...often that helps people out instead of the reverse. Another thought is hyzer angle vs. flat throw...got a preference? Sort of a quick fix for some, but hyzer flipping a less stable disc sometimes help people be more consistent on tight tunnel shots, whether their difficulty comes from form issues or the visual/mental stuff from the tight fairways.

Last edited:
Perhaps you are opening your shoulders prematurely.

<--------- has no business giving advice

I have been struggling trying to correct this for my GF. I got her some extra distance by shortening her steps but now with that increased mobility and power she is over rotating. not sure what to tell her besides to try to start her run up more closed to try to change the base angles of her entire throw. Anyone? She is getting more distance now but in the wrong direction.

I had a similar issue a few years back, and for me it was my body positioning was too far to the right when I started my reach back. I also noticed that with a power grip, my pinky seemed to always catch on the rim and give the disc a bit of extra right pull. I tried a three finger grip and now I use that on all drives - it improved my accuracy substantially. Just some ideas for you to try out...

Tim S.

Make sure your weight is centered over your plant foot. Make sure you shift your weight towards your throw, not just spin around like a ballerina. Make sure to pivot on your heel not on your toe (pivoting on toe = spinning around).

Last edited:
Without seeing you throw I'd say it sounds like you're not getting a good straight reach back.
Generally speaking, and especially in the case of someone who's put a ton of work into his form, your aim starts at the furthest point of your reach back.

If you reach back past 180 degrees to your target your going to come out early and left, if you reach back short of 180 your going to come out late and right. A good reach back is about more than just power, its crucial for aiming too.
Every single time I've come out right its because I didn't reach straight back I came up short, my body goes 180 degrees from the start of my pull to my release regardless of where I start.

Do you rotate on your heel ? It sounds to me that you move the disc on a curve around you rather than in a straight line across your chest.

But that's all guesswork without video.

Check and make sure that your feet are in line with where you want to throw. Sometimes my shots are off to the right because of that.