• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing 10-15 feet right on every drive

Next time you're on a tight fairway during a casual round, aim at a tree on the left side of the fairway, and prepare yourself mentally to be satisfied if you hit it. But seriously literally try to hit it -- make that the object of your drive on that hole, instead of hoping the overcorrection will put you in the fairway. If you can hit that tree on the left when you truly aim at it, your problem is psychological, especially if you feel more relaxed when you throw at it than when you throw at the fairway, and I can relate. Most of my problems are psychological too. :)

Last edited:
I just tweaked my drives and the first thing I did was bomb a disc a good 50' right, so I get you. How are you approaching the teepad? I've always X-stepped straight down the pad, but now I have to come across it from the back right corner to the front left. That seemed to fix my problem. I'm still not confident in my new form outside of field work, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But at least give it a thought.

When I was having this problem, the first thing that I did was actually change my grip. Instead of using the traditional power grip where your fingers wrap around the rim and meet the flight plate, my fingers grip the inside edge of the rim. This prevents me from catching any of my fingers up on the disc as I release. Not sure if that would help with your problem at all, but it might be worth trying.

So I went out today and focused on correcting this issue. The very first thing I tried was actually aiming at something and visualizing my shot. I picked a tree or branch or bush and would think something like, "Throw at this branch on a hyzer line X amount of feet above the target with X disc"

My average on the course is about 4 over. Today I shot 2 under. My misses weren't wild throws to the right. Instead, I actually knew how I screwed up and could correct it. I'm somewhat amazed that I never thought to actually aim at something instead of just throwing blindly at a gap and hoping.

Obviously, this is just the first round I've tried this so I might have just been having a good day (That was my best score on that course). I'm going to go to a crazy wooded course and see if I still have success with this method.

Question is, is it normal to actually aim at some distant object and visualize the shot? Just wondering if this is going to be beneficial or if I'm putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.

Yep. Pick something in the distance you want to aim at, take your flight path into consideration and release on the proper line/angle. That's how it works.

I have this problem as well. I've found that if I really need to focus on planting my foot before pulling. I've tried the aiming left idea but when I do throw correctly then I'm going to far to the left. The most frustrating ones for me are on approach shots I throw from a standstill that I jerk way right. What has worked for me is to angle my foot on a 45 away from the basket or target. (Maybe that's a 135 degree angle?) It hasn't fixed it 100% but I'm more consistent. I think I open up to quick with my shoulders and/or hip too. When I focus on staying low and keeping my form tight I tend to hit my lines.

I highly suggest you start telling yourself that you can indeed fix this problem. The more you say negative things the worse it is going to get.

Good job shooting 2 down and figuring out the stuff about aiming at something. You're getting there, be happy!

My 2 under round seems to be a fluke. I went out today and was throwing everything to the right again. Aiming didn't work. I tried switching my positon on the pad and that did nothing. I'm frustrated as all hell. I played 36 holes and I'd say well over half my drives went 10-30 feet right. I couldn't get within the circle on anything today. This is just destroying my game.

Do a video and share it! Some good advice in this thread but it's hard to help or see what advice applies just based on minimal/non-visual information.

One thing I've done to fix this kind of issue is to really focus on pulling in a straight line. Imagine a completely straight line from the disc, through your arm, and directly out from your shoulder to the target. If you really focus on that for a few weeks, it will become second nature, and then you can stop focusing on that.

Wild guess here based on trying to visualize what is happening, but it could be that you are trying to "horse" something too overstable to force it going straight. Have you tried something flippy and trying to get more of a hyzer-flip with a smooth throw?

make sure youre pulling the disc close to your chest, maybe you're sweeping too far around in front of you?

Sounds like grip-lock to me which can be bad. But you dont want to release the disc anyway. It's way too hard to modulate. It sounds like your grip-lock is pretty consistant so why not use that powerful grip to your advantage? The answer can be as easy as putting more of your back towards your target. All of a sudden your line to the target moves over to the left. You wont have to try to release the disc (which is very difficult to get consistancy on). Now the line to your target will be the same & with a good grip comes a good rip! Sounds crazy but try it!

I have a similar problem and found that footwork fixes it. If during my x-step, my feet are in-line, I will consistently pull to the right. If, during my x step, I step my right foot forward an exageratted amount, it will almost always fix it.

So for instance, after the X step, my feet end one of two ways.

F----F I will throw right.

-----F
F---- I will throw on line.

Go watch some videos of Barry Schultz playing. He steps like this as well.

Last edited:
I have a similar problem and found that footwork fixes it. If during my x-step, my feet are in-line, I will consistently pull to the right. If, during my x step, I step my right foot forward an exageratted amount, it will almost always fix it.

So for instance, after the X step, my feet end one of two ways.

F----F I will throw right.

-----F
F---- I will throw on line.

Go watch some videos of Barry Schultz playing. He steps like this as well.
Exactly! In doing so you are increasing the angle & putting your back to the target more.