• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing a really OS driver vs. a mid

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
I was playing last week, and came to an open 330'ish hole. Kind of a no brainer mid shot. I usually use a Buzzz or a Wasp for it. This time I decided to lawn dart a Flick in there. Just a basic backhand hyzer. Well, it rammed right in the hole.

I guess I'm just curious how often guys forgo the mids to throw a controlled, short shot with an overstable driver. I'm probably more accurate with the driver, especially in windy conditions. Only downside with doing that is sometimes the driver will hit and skip far from the hole.

If it's wide open, hyzer bomb it in there. It'll be less affected by wind* or if you get off release angle a bit. If you throw it steep enough it shouldn't skip at all.

*Hard R to L wind for RHBH can push hyzer bombs far left which are tough for me to judge sometimes

I've been thinking about this too. I still throw mids in these situations, but it's mainly just because I aspire to improve my technique and learn to get all the potential from my mids/putters. But yes, there are tons of times where it's better to throw a higher speed disc and brave the potential consequences (e.g. bad tree kick, long skip) of coming in too hot.

I was playing last week, and came to an open 330'ish hole. Kind of a no brainer mid shot. I usually use a Buzzz or a Wasp for it. This time I decided to lawn dart a Flick in there. Just a basic backhand hyzer. Well, it rammed right in the hole.

I guess I'm just curious how often guys forgo the mids to throw a controlled, short shot with an overstable driver. I'm probably more accurate with the driver, especially in windy conditions. Only downside with doing that is sometimes the driver will hit and skip far from the hole.

I do this a ton. Pretty much anytime the driver hyzer is available im taking it. Especially in any wind or a very open line

If you miss with an OS mid, it doesn't miss as big as a warp speed OS driver does, which is kinda nice in terms of approaches/upshots. If you have 100℅ accuracy and make every shot you throw, go wild with the drivers hahahahaha.

For most of us mere mortals, 330 feet is not a midrange shot. I play in Michigan and rarely play in open fields. A 330 ft shot is a good control drive for many.

Really OS mids dont appeal to me at all. Drivers can do more fun stuff and actually fight the wind when needed.

Im a big "super OS mids are pointless" guy.

Really OS mids dont appeal to me at all. Drivers can do more fun stuff and actually fight the wind when needed.

OS mids are completely off topic.

The OP is talking about throwing a traditional mid shot vs an OS driver hyzer.

For any shot, if there is room for me to throw a hyzer I will almost always throw that first. It is by FAR the most accurate shot in our arsenal and the least affected by minor error in release angle. This could be a short FH hyzer on an approach, or me reaching for the biggest disc I have on a longer hole, or anything in between.

Watch the pros. If they have an open line this is almost always what they throw. The big exception for me is if the landing area isn't favorable (i.e. fast green sloped the wrong angle).

If really curious do some digging here someone has posted (wish I saved it) a chart showing the flight path of discs released on a variety of angles (like 30* hyzer, 25* hyzer....all the way through anny). What you see is that the landing area for the varying hyzer lines is much closer together and the closer to flat or anny you get the bigger variance in landing area.

If memory serves me correctly, someone posted about Philo Braithwith (apologies if misspelled) was throwing shots with a mid or control driver, then with a Destroyer, to show that there's more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. So what the OP is posting is apparently done by players at every level...

I'm not a fan either. I had a Sentinel in the bag at one point and never liked it. It was a bit of tweener disc. Longer than most mids, but short of a good OS driver. For whatever reason I couldn't make much happen with it for accuracy either.

To the topic at hand, I'm finding more success lately throwing stuff like a Champion Starfire 350'- 375' over the Buzzz. I love the Buzzz, but when it comes down to it I'm more accurate with a driver. If I need one notch up from that I'll grab the Destroyer. Good, controlled overstable distance.

Last edited:
A local course (grass valley) has a few holes that most people throw a putter strait through jail. I'll pull out a destroyer and lightly toss a hyzer around them all. It works better for me, and I enjoy the idea of removing the obstacles. The trouble is throwing it too hard and going long or too soft and ending up in jail anyway.

Most of my aces have come when I eschewed the "disc down" option and threw a meathook on a hyzer on a shot that I could reach with a slower, straighter disc. Consistency is key. Whatever works.

(That having been said, I am working hard to develop my finesse-ier shots.)

330' short control shot. :|

330? I'm either throwing a standstill putter. Or I'm going.....

picture.php

Latest posts