• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing a really OS driver vs. a mid

I played behind a group of 5 INT/ADV level players this weekend on a couple open holes, before I was able to play through. Got to witness this exact scenario play out with a bunch of players that are presumably around the level of an average DGCR'er.

The guys throwing big hyzers generally skipped or rolled far away from the basket. It seemed like everyone had a hard time figuring out how much their Firebirds would skip on the freshly-mowed grass. The guys throwing mids right at the pin, or throwing flatter fade shots, were much more successful. YMMV, but that's what I observed.

Mid all the way. I disc golf for a number of reasons-especially for the beauty of a slow moving mid range.

I played behind a group of 5 INT/ADV level players this weekend on a couple open holes, before I was able to play through. Got to witness this exact scenario play out with a bunch of players that are presumably around the level of an average DGCR'er.

The guys throwing big hyzers generally skipped or rolled far away from the basket. It seemed like everyone had a hard time figuring out how much their Firebirds would skip on the freshly-mowed grass. The guys throwing mids right at the pin, or throwing flatter fade shots, were much more successful. YMMV, but that's what I observed.

Dude everyone on DGCR throws their putters 350' on perfectly straight lines.

Firebirds only come out on 450-500' holes.

When I'm trying to score I'm taking the most consistent, high percentage shot that I can, that will lead me to the best chance at the lowest score - which oddly enough turns out to be a hyzer, where it's possible. Who cares if it's boring.

I throw hyzer drives on any dogleg left hole, and there are always plenty of those on most courses. L-R hole and it's a turnover drive, or anhyzer drive if it's a severe L-R, where you really have to turn a corner. On straight-ish, open holes, it's a hyzer-flip to fade drive.

Now, hyzer for approach, not so much. Obviously it's going to be a hyzer on R-L shot. But open or straight shots, I don't like having to dial in the precise amount of hyzer each time, especially if there's a cross wind. Skips are another issue...will you get the skip you're counting on from a hyzer? Not a given, as you can hit a rick or root and get no skip at all, or hit hard pack and get much more skip than intended. Both make for long putts.

With a fade approach shot, you can gauge the distance fairly easily, aim right of the hole, and let the fade of a stable-OS disc do the work. It's actually a high % shot. I'm surprised people don't make more use of it, based on a lot of the comments here.

IMO, learn/throw all shots, don't use a crutch.

I throw hyzer drives on any dogleg left hole, and there are always plenty of those on most courses. L-R hole and it's a turnover drive, or anhyzer drive if it's a severe L-R, where you really have to turn a corner. On straight-ish, open holes, it's a hyzer-flip to fade drive.

Now, hyzer for approach, not so much. Obviously it's going to be a hyzer on R-L shot. But open or straight shots, I don't like having to dial in the precise amount of hyzer each time, especially if there's a cross wind. Skips are another issue...will you get the skip you're counting on from a hyzer? Not a given, as you can hit a rick or root and get no skip at all, or hit hard pack and get much more skip than intended. Both make for long putts.

With a fade approach shot, you can gauge the distance fairly easily, aim right of the hole, and let the fade of a stable-OS disc do the work. It's actually a high % shot. I'm surprised people don't make more use of it, based on a lot of the comments here.

IMO, learn/throw all shots, don't use a crutch.

If you practice enough in the field, it shouldn't be a problem to range in your hyzers. It's the easiest shot to throw.

As for the skips, just because I'm throwing a hyzer approach doesn't mean I'm even using something that is a driver or overstable disc at all. Most of my approaches are handled with bt harps and soft judges, neither of which skip hardly at all on a hyzer approach line. If the green is fast, you compensate for it. Again, you kind of need to learn how your discs will work on hyzer lines in field practice so you can play a skip or lack thereof.

I agree you should learn all shots, but at the same time don't discount the highest percentage shot when you're playing a round either. A hyzer with pretty much any disc should be easy to range in as it's going to have less time in the air (and less time to glide to/past the basket) It's not really rocket science, and honestly I see a lot of people costing themselves strokes just because they want to throw a straight line at a basket, and end up fading out of the line too soon, or blowing by the basket.

If you practice enough in the field, it shouldn't be a problem to range in your hyzers. It's the easiest shot to throw.

As for the skips, just because I'm throwing a hyzer approach doesn't mean I'm even using something that is a driver or overstable disc at all. Most of my approaches are handled with bt harps and soft judges, neither of which skip hardly at all on a hyzer approach line. If the green is fast, you compensate for it. Again, you kind of need to learn how your discs will work on hyzer lines in field practice so you can play a skip or lack thereof.

I agree you should learn all shots, but at the same time don't discount the highest percentage shot when you're playing a round either. A hyzer with pretty much any disc should be easy to range in as it's going to have less time in the air (and less time to glide to/past the basket) It's not really rocket science, and honestly I see a lot of people costing themselves strokes just because they want to throw a straight line at a basket, and end up fading out of the line too soon, or blowing by the basket.

When I was first starting out, I actually used a hyzer for all approach shots, just as you're describing. I got away from that fairly quickly, mainly to learn other types of approach shots, and have more options. It's not a bad strategy by any means, but players should also be able to keep a disc straight and range it properly, and work fade and turn on approach shots. That will come from practice and having confidence in an approach shot other than hyzer.

Anyway, to each his own.