• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing Farther but with Knee Pain

caleb1989

Been putting a lot of form practice in this year and recently within the last week have crashed though a plateau I've been stuck at for almost a year I went from throwing a max of 310 or so and now am consistently hitting 345 to 350 and 1 or 2/10 throws go as high as 365, it has been very exciting I have put a lot of work in and have finally seen results. The problem is now I have some minor pain in my knee nothing major it's just a little sore after rounds and usually goes away a few hours later.
Has anyone else had such experiences? I'm not sure if it's just because I'm starting to use muscles I wasn't using before and just need to get used to it or if my form is a little off and am putting unnecessary torque on my knee.

Get video. Your knee is likely drifting past your plant foot, and as you are trying to brace it is getting twisted. If you're braced behind the foot correctly everything just "feels like it should"...nothing gets tweaked.

If you feel like you put pressure on your plant foot's toes to balance yourself while throwing (to stop you from tipping forward) then I bet this is what is happening. Video from the side will help.

Been putting a lot of form practice in this year and recently within the last week have crashed though a plateau I've been stuck at for almost a year I went from throwing a max of 310 or so and now am consistently hitting 345 to 350 and 1 or 2/10 throws go as high as 365, it has been very exciting I have put a lot of work in and have finally seen results. The problem is now I have some minor pain in my knee nothing major it's just a little sore after rounds and usually goes away a few hours later.
Has anyone else had such experiences? I'm not sure if it's just because I'm starting to use muscles I wasn't using before and just need to get used to it or if my form is a little off and am putting unnecessary torque on my knee.

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you. Put some effort on cleaning up my form, but apparently did not get everything right (yet).

My distance went up from consistent 330ft to 390ft but after a round or two my right knee starts aching. Does go away in a couple of hours just like you described. Got some video footage of my throws where I can clearly see that I don't get proper pivot but I rather "jam" my foot instead of pivoting properly and that causes some strain on the knee, apparently I've done this all the time, just didn't feel any pain at all with the weaker throws.

So back to practicing, this time with a focus on the pivot and proper follow through. Hope that helps.

Latest posts