• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing up hill

Really, the only local hole I have that meets the OP's criteria tees going uphill in a wooded tunnel out into an open fairway that crests and goes downhill to a protected basket. Getting up and out of the tunnel takes away the hyzerflip for me; mine isn't accurate enough to get out of the tunnel consistently. The roller is my better option to get up and out of there and still have enough steam to crest the hill, but a roller doesn't gain distance like a glidey airshot would going downhill after you crest the hill. I'm generally disappointed when the roller crests the hill and I walk up only to find that it lost steam and fell over right after it crested the hill. If the tee was more open, I'd hyzerflip an understable driver at it. It seems like that would be the better option.

Have 1 hole here, just short of 350, tunnel shot that opens to an open field, but closes back in to a tunnel before the basket guarded by bushes and trees. It's an easy 3 if you can hit the fairway on the drive, but can quickly turn in to 4 if you end up on the right, and 5 with an OB stroke for ending up on the left. I'll hyzerflip a valkyrie up and hope to land in the fairway in the 2nd tunnel area for a look at a 2, but a sure 3. My problem is I usually end up throwing too high, and stalling, then falling left in the tree line, or going OB.

If your trying to go up and over an apex, then straight down on the other side, I think a thumber is the easiest shot to mimic that flight pattern.
Thumbers and tommies can both get your disc up fast, without the risk of it hyzering back towards you.
Plus, you can get extremely gratuitous rolls at the end if the disc hits right.

bf6b7803.jpg

Bane of my existence. Wide-ish tunnel, 500' uphill the whole way...

bf6b7803.jpg

Bane of my existence. Wide-ish tunnel, 500' uphill the whole way...

Oi, not much fairway to work with either... Tough hole, I think I'd probably be going Roc/Roc focussing on staying in the fairway.

As to OP, others have pretty much got it. Depending on the height/grade/length of the incline I will step down in stability and step up in speed, unless there's room to just throw over the hill on a hyzer.

Understable, and disc down. Since you'll be throwing high, most likely on a hyzer flip, you need to make sure you control the fade. If you use a higher speed but understable driver, or faster disc, you still get a lot of stalling out then fade in the final 1/5 of the flight or so.

When I'm trying to keep a tunnel shot with an elevation increase to a crest, followed by a decrease, I tend to hyzerflip a slower, very understable disc to meet it's apex somewhat early in it's flight (meaning I hope that the highest point of the throw is somewhat early). I also try to select my disc so that it is quite undestable, and turns over right at its peak (this just takes getting to know your bag and discs, and how they react in different wind condtions/situations), then holds a slight turn or straight line on its descent. Your biggest enemy is too much beef causing a stall and too much fade. Your second biggest enemy is hitting the ground at the summit and fading off of a hard skip. Either is no bueno.

I think it's odd that others are discing up to a higher speed. If it's just an incline, I'll agree. But if there's a crest followed by a decline, I'm discing down.

-Your disc selection should be geared towards-lighter and less stable. That is not to say that if you need over stability that you can't use an OS disc though.

-Strong legs. Concentrate on really using your legs almost to the point that it hurts a little like your at the gym doing something with weight. In this case the weight is their but in the form of gravity and lack of inertia.

-Exaggerate the follow through. And one of the secrets to gaining distance is practicing on inclines it will make you stronger.

Overall good topic!

Latest posts