• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thumber's

I have heard from most that overstable discs are usually better.

Personally I find Orcs and Firebirds to be my most accurate thumber discs.

What discs have you tried?

I'm not sure you're going to get very many replies considering this is a very popular topic.
Type in 'thumber', 'tomahawk', 'overhand' and you'll find more than a few threads full of suggestions.

I used to throw nothing but thumbers for drives
If you're talking distance I'd say Avenger
but if you're talking accuracy and I think that is what the thumber is best for. I have to give it to either the Teebird or the Tracker. Both are extremely accurate out to 260ish.

Ok I consider my self an expert on this matter. I have thrown pretty much every supposed great thumber disc out there from a X Reaper to an Epic. Here is what I know, for the most distance use an overstable disc like a Monster or Predator. But if you want a disc that will fade more at the end (turn right) then use an understable disc. Personally I like a combination of both and for that the SL is the best thumber disc I have ever thrown. It goes a mile and has a very predictable fade at the end, basically point it 35 degrees to left of where you want it to go and it goes there period. For shorter shots (170-200) the best disc is the Discraft Elite Z XS, it is my go to disc for any problem shots and for shorter drives its fantastic. Finally if your just learning and don't want to throw down on some expensive plastic I've found that DX Eagles work really well.

Basically try whatever you have. Just remember the fundamentals.

Overstable discs will complete their turn more slowly. This increases the amount of time the disc is parallel to the ground which keeps it in the air longer. Depending of variance of throw and wind the slow turn tends to be less predictable.

Understable discs complete their turn more quickly. Less distance but also more accurate as the disc starts falling to the ground quicker.

One other note is that if you're throwing an understable thumber you need to aim slightly more left of the target than you would with an overstable disc. (Assuming you're throwing RH)

Z flick since i heard overstable discs are the way to go - but i've honestly never tried experimenting with anything else. it works

Love the Z Flick for any overhand shots. You can pretty much chuck it straight as hell, and most of the time they finish with a roll or a nice skip!

I've heard the wisdom that an overstable disc is the best for an overhand, but I haven't found a disc that I can "thumb" as well as my 150 Star Valk. It fits in my hand well and I tell my poor elbow/shoulder that a lighter disc will be easier on my arm. I agree just try the discs you have and see what works best.

Love the thumber. It's my go-to shot for getting through tight spaces.