• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

The latest Pro discs I've bought have been great. Grippy and the durability seems improved as well. Have a Thunderbird waiting for the spring, which will replace my first run DX, which has been going strong for years now and is only a tad flippy.

Are the new Pros flat or domed?

Just made a trade for another orange one. :dancingbanana:

I had a stack of these but decided to stick with Champ since the production Star was nothing like them. If you ever need I could dig and see how many I still have.

So I'm late to the thread but have a question. Are Star Thunderbirds typically more overstable than Champion? Most people I've asked have agreed, but I thought I'd ask.

Typically yes. The flat and firm first run star Thunderbird had some serious beef to them, almost like a mellow Firebird

So I'm late to the thread but have a question. Are Star Thunderbirds typically more overstable than Champion? Most people I've asked have agreed, but I thought I'd ask.

Typically yes. The flat and firm first run star Thunderbird had some serious beef to them, almost like a mellow Firebird

What wims said. Those early Star Thunderbirds are very overstable. The Champ Thunderbirds (mine is a McBeth 3x) are much more glidey and reasonable in their flight.

Stability level descending
Koling, 3x/4x, Star, gstar, pro, Dx
In my personal experience at least.

All of the Star and DX I have thrown are more overstable than the Champs. They also are flatter and have higher plh than my Champs.

Agree with pjhayes7. I got one of those early Star Thunderbirds, and it's very overstable, almost as much as a Firebird. I also have 3x Champ, DX (that special, good run), and GStar Thunderbirds. DX and the 3x are about the same stability for me, and both are good discs. The GStar was a mess, and I'll just leave it at that.

Haven't tried a Pro Thunderbird. Would it be worth my while to do so?

Couldn't hurt. It seems to be one of the new classic molds Innova has produced in the last few years. Only reason I haven't tried a Pro is because I also throw Escapes, and I feel like they would soon overlap.

Yes. Based on the ones I've thrown, I'd say Pro is the way to go for those who want an easy throwing Thunderbird in the 270-330 foot range. Little hint of turn, fairly mellow finish. Like a preview of what a seasoned Champ can become, without having to wait so long.

All of the Star and DX I have thrown are more overstable than the Champs. They also are flatter and have higher plh than my Champs.
Weird, i must've gotten some weird ones. I threw a Dx thundy right when they came out and i just threw a new regular star the other day. I'd be interested in getting a really stable Dx, it'd probably beat in nicely.

I've only bagged a jl champ and f2 star. I really liked the champ. Flew flat and straight with a late hard fade and fair skip to about 390' for me. I lost that disc throwing into the night and left it lay on a fairway. I picked up the star f2 and it is noticably more stable with a harder and quicker fade which is prolonging the beat in process. I hope it calms down when beat in but Ive fallen in love with teebirds so I don't pull the Thunderbird to often unless I need it's flight but then I often switch to the f2 teedevil for flat low straight with hard fade. I have a 3x Thunderbird in the mail and can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Couldn't hurt. It seems to be one of the new classic molds Innova has produced in the last few years. Only reason I haven't tried a Pro is because I also throw Escapes, and I feel like they would soon overlap.

Yes. Based on the ones I've thrown, I'd say Pro is the way to go for those who want an easy throwing Thunderbird in the 270-330 foot range. Little hint of turn, fairly mellow finish. Like a preview of what a seasoned Champ can become, without having to wait so long.

Thanks to the advice on this thread, I ordered an F2 Pro Thunderbird, and it arrived today. I took it to the course and threw it around some during my round. The conditions were virtually windless, but wet and foggy. The Pro Thunderbird plastic felt good, not slick, but not sticky-grippy. The disc felt comfortable in the hand. On throws, my Pro Thunderbird was not as overstable as my other Thunderbirds (Star, 3x Champ, DX), but definitely stable. Fun to throw. I'll work with it some more.

Thanks to the advice on this thread, I ordered an F2 Pro Thunderbird, and it arrived today. I took it to the course and threw it around some during my round. The conditions were virtually windless, but wet and foggy. The Pro Thunderbird plastic felt good, not slick, but not sticky-grippy. The disc felt comfortable in the hand. On throws, my Pro Thunderbird was not as overstable as my other Thunderbirds (Star, 3x Champ, DX), but definitely stable. Fun to throw. I'll work with it some more.

Let us know what it is like after it seasons some.

Are all of the star thunderbirds still really overstable? I have two stock star thunderbirds that I bought a couple of years ago and they are both stiff and really overstable. On a good 400 ft throw they don't turn at all and hook up pretty hard at the end. I want to pick up some star teebirds that are not stiif and really overstable.

Are all of the star thunderbirds still really overstable? I have two stock star thunderbirds that I bought a couple of years ago and they are both stiff and really overstable. On a good 400 ft throw they don't turn at all and hook up pretty hard at the end. I want to pick up some star teebirds that are not stiif and really overstable.

If you bought your Star Thunderbirds a couple of years ago, then they are likely part of that first run of Star Thunderbirds that came out really overstable. I don't know if newer runs of Star Thundies (if there ARE newer runs?) are less overstable, but you can try the Champ and Pro Thunderbirds and see how they do for you in terms of stiffness and flight.

If you bought your Star Thunderbirds a couple of years ago, then they are likely part of that first run of Star Thunderbirds that came out really overstable. I don't know if newer runs of Star Thundies (if there ARE newer runs?) are less overstable, but you can try the Champ and Pro Thunderbirds and see how they do for you in terms of stiffness and flight.

New star thunderbirds are still really OS, but not as stiff

I've only thrown 2 G-Star thunderbirds. Brand new to the bag. Thrown for 1 round and already one of my 3
Go to rhbh drivers with the teebird/rival and Valkyrie. Stable but not overpowering like a firebird. Threw like an ideal distance disc for speed 8-9 arms like me

Picked up one of these over the weekend, I'm getting my Teebirds and Eagles out a little past 300' and am starting to play with faster drivers. So far I've picked up an old (2011) GL Striker, new GL Saint, s-PD and the star Thunderbird, all around 167-170.

The Thunderbird I grabbed might be an oddball, it's more than a meathook. If I put a straight flat throw RHBH on it, it goes 75' and starts cutting left, finishes about 175' and on a 45deg angle. I bag a Reaper and have a Predator, neither one is that overstable. I thought the PD would have been more out of my arm speed but It gets out to around 330' with a nice forward pushing fade at the end which I have really been liking but the Thunderbird, that thing just wants to dive left on me, heck even the Flick I have doesn't act that way.

Latest posts