• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TimG can you just erase worthless reviews?

That guideline should be scratched, because there is no course that exists or could ever exist that couldn't be improved upon. Every course has a few oopsies. Whether one elects to dock for them comes down to the reviewer.

Since this is NOT my web site (and I don't do the massive work that is required to keep this site running), I am not authorized to change its guidelines. I can either abide by those or thumb my nose at them. I choose to abide by the guidelines. From time to time, I might point out what I think might be an issue or something that I think could be improved, but in the end, I live with the decision of the folks who do the work to run the site. If I ever decide that I can't abide by those guidelines (doubtful), I will leave the site. Since I am unable/unwilling to do the massive work that would be required to create and run a site 1/100th as good or detailed as this one is, I can't imagine that happening.

As to the 5 discussion... I agree and find it hard to say any course is perfect. I prefer 4.5 for a top level course... Probably would give a 5 to just a small few courses I'd usually just go 4.5 on...

One reviewer's perfect is another's "not quite." Depends what you value and what you're willing to overlook.

I've given 5's to courses I legitimately think you can't have the conversation without mentioning, and back up my opinions with specifics.

--------------------
Getting back on topic, it's obvious some reviews were "written," merely as a facade for rating them.

The site's called Disc Golf Course Review, not Disc Golf Course Rater. A great many of the drive by reviews provide no useful info, and don't even come close to telling you what to expect, or what it's like to play the course.

I honestly think there should be some level of quality control on reviews. If after an appreciable number of votes (10 or 12 maybe?), 75% or 80% of the votes are negative, the review gets the boot. You don't have to write a novel. I realize it's hard to get 10 thumbs on a certain reviews, but if you manage that feat, and 8 of them think your review is useless, then by definition, it is. That's an epic failure.

Even the reviews with ratings that go "against the grain" get decent thumbs up when they're supported with genuine content.

Stringing together a bunch of superlatives, does not a review, make. If you want to rate a course without putting any thought into it, do it on DG Scene. Those ratings are so inflated, it won't make a difference.

/rant

Regarding whether or not a 5 is achievable, I take the descriptions provided with a grain of salt. Nothing will ever be perfect.

I sort the courses that I've played into tiers and assign numerical ratings accordingly. I use the full 0-5 scale and would gladly use quarter point increments if Tim were ever to go that route. My current 4.5 tier contains a much wider range of courses than I'd like. Pretty soon I'm going to have to knock some of my 4.5s down to 4s and then reevaluate the lower tiers. Not using 0 or 5 would eliminate 2 tiers and force me to assign the same rating to an even wider range of courses. As it is, there is a significant difference in course quality between courses that I've rated for a given numerical score.

back onto the topic of worthless reviews, I just want to thank the 1 guy who voted on my latest worthless review. Shout out to him (or her, but I'm assuming him because... has anyone seen a girl on this site ever?), let's grab a beer sometime!

back onto the topic of worthless reviews, I just want to thank the 1 guy who voted on my latest worthless review. Shout out to him (or her, but I'm assuming him because... has anyone seen a girl on this site ever?), let's grab a beer sometime!

Guilty. I've played that fun, out of the way course too.

Regarding whether or not a 5 is achievable, I take the descriptions provided with a grain of salt. Nothing will ever be perfect.

The description of 5 rating sums it up perfectly - Best of the Best. If you've played enough courses, you know when you're playing somewhere special. Just like that once-in-a-lifetime (decade, year, etc.) round. When you're in the midst of it, you know it's different than all the rest.

It took 150+ played courses before I gave my first 5.0 rating. After that many courses under my belt, it was easy to see that WR Jackson at the IDGC was unlike any other course I had played. Since then, only one other course has been a no-doubt 5.0 rating for me - Harmon Hills. I gave my third 5.0 rating last month to Idlewild. I kept going back and forth between a 4.5 and 5, before I leaned towards the higher rating. It came down to the fact the course was better than all the courses I had rated 4.5 that I felt it was more of a disservice giving it the lower rating than giving it a 5.

The description of 5 rating sums it up perfectly - Best of the Best. If you've played enough courses, you know when you're playing somewhere special. Just like that once-in-a-lifetime (decade, year, etc.) round. When you're in the midst of it, you know it's different than all the rest.

It took 150+ played courses before I gave my first 5.0 rating. After that many courses under my belt, it was easy to see that WR Jackson at the IDGC was unlike any other course I had played. Since then, only one other course has been a no-doubt 5.0 rating for me - Harmon Hills. I gave my third 5.0 rating last month to Idlewild. I kept going back and forth between a 4.5 and 5, before I leaned towards the higher rating. It came down to the fact the course was better than all the courses I had rated 4.5 that I felt it was more of a disservice giving it the lower rating than giving it a 5.

Totally agree that best of the best is what a 5 should be. I've had to re-calibrate that a few times as I've played more courses. I used to have Flip City as a 5, but had to adjust that after I played Maple Hill (my only current 5).

I just checked and what I was thinking of is from the "What makes a good review?" section and not from the descriptions for the numerical scores:

Remember, a "5" is considered the ultimate. There is absolutely nothing that could be done to improve the course. It is perfect in every possible way.

^That course doesn't (and can't) exist imho. Best of the best is a much better standard.

Latest posts