• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TimG can you just erase worthless reviews?

trashmonster1985

Birdie Member
There are some just plain worthless reviews on a few courses on here. No information is given, there aren't even pro's or con's. Some the information is so far off, it's like they played a different course. It just seems that if we are to get info off this site, there needs to be some actual information given in reviews. If a review has 12 thumbs down anyway, is it worth keeping?

sorry to the reviewers, but here are some examples:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=963&page=1&mode=rev#12871

mr finn's review is just plain lacking. i've read others by him that i have given thumbs up to. not this one.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=1371&mode=rev

sorry penso707 with all of those other reviews, yours just doesn't offer anything.

anyone else?

even bad reviews add data to the pool that determines what the course is rated. :\

welcome to america where everyone has the right to voice their opinion
:)
i wanted to agree b4 i read those reviews... but after reading the 2 you quoted... all i can say is i've seen worse, dont think they are getting any trusted reviewers awards... but seemed legit to me
ps, i have not played those courses... so i assume they could be correct... also, i've seen much worse reviews, with inaccurate details, and some with much less wordage...

If you don't like the reviews, mark them unhelpful and then ignore it.

Once we get into censoring these things, then you have to decide where that line is between worthless and just misguided.

If you don't like the reviews, mark them unhelpful and then ignore it.

Once we get into censoring these things, then you have to decide where that line is between worthless and just misguided.

yerp. only reason i could see taking them down is if they are completely maliciously inaccurate.

I don't agree with the reviews that you had links to, some people just have less to say. My .02 is that it gives you any idea of what the course is like and it looks like they spent more than 30 sec writing it, it's helpful, unless they blatantly have a bias, then it's not as helpful. Obviously there is going to be a sliding scale in terms of the helpfulness of a review. What I don't like is when someone reviews a course when it says in the review they didn't even play the whole course. 'exhibit a' http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=3425&mode=rev

see bygwylley, the guy blatantly says he only played 8 holes. These are the type of reviews that need to be erased IMO

some people are better at writing reviews than others, with that said a nice feature to this site might be a way to rate a course without reviewing it, just in case you wanted to get your vote counted without writing a review.

If you don't like it, thumb it down and scroll on past. I don't think any reviews should be taken down unless they are just totally out of line, and that's how Tim has played it so far. Taking down reviews because you don't think they're helpful or give enough information sets a precedent of censoring reviews on this site that I don't think really helps the whole purpose of collecting diverse sets of reviews.

i dont see what u mean on the links u posted... sometimes there is a small tidbit in a "bad" review that helps me find what I (maybe not anyone else) is looking for. Love the site timg!

I have definitely seen worse reviews then the two quoted as well. I agree with what the majority of you are saying as well, unless the review is out of line or completely wrong there is no reason to take it down. If enough people give it a thumbs down maybe these people will go play the course again and try to correct the review, after all you can edit them, and I think that is some what the point of the voting system as well.

I have edited many of my own reviews and still have gotten lots of thumbs down. Personally some in my dg community are purely out to get me. Again, courses change, layouts change, and we can't always get out to a course immediately to change our review, therefore, it is unfairly voted thumbs down. Case in point: I was one of the first do put up a review on Delaware's Iron Hill. They changed the course CONSIDERABLY after I was there. Yet my course record here is like 5 ups and maybe 10-15 downs. I have not been there in 1 1/2 years! I may have a solution: if you're not happy with your votes on your reviews (I'm certainly not), maybe after you submit an edit to a course review you can have the option of erasing all previous votes, allow others to see your changes, and then vote again. Not everyone can write a perfect review too. Just my .02. Andrew L.

when i review i like to start from the oldest reviews first and i assume others will do the same, so after i read all the reviews i try to add what i feel has been left out or what i feel is not acucurate(imo). I think what might of happened in these cases is they didnt have much to add and just wanted to add a review to their totals . I havnt played these courses but if i had and i felt that these reviews while short added some insight to a already well reviewed course id give them a thumbs up .

excellent

sorry to those offended, but i love the responses. it's not like those reviews really bother me. i just thought that as the site grows, and as us dgcrers review expertise grows i figure it's not a bad idea to weed out some revie ws. but like it was said, it's just an opinion, and it's just a thought, i'm not trying to hurt anyones feelings. but even my first review i changed when i realized how mediocre it was. i like the idea of creating a rating only area, where a review is not necessary. i also agree that "some" information could be gathered. but these are just the ones i can remember. of course there are worse out there. but it's annoying to go through 10 reviews that are so good and one is just there to add some discs to the course.

sorry to those offended, but i love the responses. it's not like those reviews really bother me. i just thought that as the site grows, and as us dgcrers review expertise grows i figure it's not a bad idea to weed out some revie ws. but like it was said, it's just an opinion, and it's just a thought, i'm not trying to hurt anyones feelings. but even my first review i changed when i realized how mediocre it was. i like the idea of creating a rating only area, where a review is not necessary. i also agree that "some" information could be gathered. but these are just the ones i can remember. of course there are worse out there. but it's annoying to go through 10 reviews that are so good and one is just there to add some discs to the course.

That is site development. Why not just read the reviews you like and not ignore the others. As time goes on, better reviews will be written. I am with the party that says, regardless of the content, the intent is all that really matters. If someone is just trying to sabotage a course rating, then pull it, otherwise live and let live.

Ive seen way worse reviews...but I think even the shortest reviews if they provide any info and the rating is not completely off provide the site a service. I think poor reviews are the generic ones with exaggerated or misinformation. This is a short review but I still think it's helpful:

Long, mountainous, difficult, wonderful!!!

8/30/2005
5/24/2007 Review By: jim owens
Played: 8 Reviewed: 8

Other Thoughts: Can't wait to go back.

2 of 16 people found this review helpful.

You might all cringe that I found it helpful...but it conveys it's a long course, a difficult course, and a fun course that the reviewer would travel back to.

We know some reviews are made just to alter the rating. Those people are not goig to have much to say, but eventually other reviewers will even out the garbage reviews.
I have thought a review with 20 thumbsdown should be deleted, but then I read dave242 reviews. They have 20 thumbsdown, but are still valuable to the site.

Latest posts