• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

I'm on it. I've started putting sentences together and hope to publish a review in the next day. While I'm accused of having a photographic memory of disc golf courses, it was about 1.5 years ago that I played Black Widow.

The owner is a swell guy. However, he has been asking on his Facebook course page for DGCR reviews. Sigh.
Yes, the owner was very nice to me, really seems to love being a course owner.
He does post on FB every couple of weeks, "course was recently mowed", "course is in great shape", so he is fairly active on FB. He is about a 25 minute drive from the very highly rated (4.0 by 3 TRs), also privately owned, Neatman Creek, so he has that competition nearby.
I saw his FB post, he just asked for more reviews on DGCR, not asking for 5s, or Top ratings (like every service person has done I've been involved with the last 2 weeks :cautious:), so I don't have an issue with the post. Glad to see he respects this site and wants to add to his page.

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't thumbs down that review because he actually thought it out and spent more than 30 seconds typing it out and it had useful information. The problem comes in when they over-inflate to 5 stars a course that is probably 3 1/2 due to some kind of bias, such as a hand job by the designer/ owner.
surely a hand-job is worth at least 1/2 a star

I've pissed off another course designer, and it's only been a couple of weeks!

Looks like his buddy joined yesterday to give this obscene 4.5:

I have really debated if I should have gone up to 2.5 here, but I think my 2 is defensible. A 4.5 for a niner that doesn't even have tee signs yet from a first time reviewer… suspect at best.
I'm going to try to play at lunch today and will do a review. Don't want to judge something I haven't played, but don't see how that course could be a 4.5 (or anything close to that) based on the pics and just being 9 holes.

The review was solid though.

I'm going to try to play at lunch today and will do a review. Don't want to judge something I haven't played, but don't see how that course could be a 4.5 (or anything close to that) based on the pics and just being 9 holes.

The review was solid though.
I'm more and more tempted to go up to 2.5, but I don't know. Water hazards are really cool, the rest of it is pretty average at best. Can't imagine an objective rating over 3 but will be interested to see what you think! Some of this is ultimately subjective.

I'm more and more tempted to go up to 2.5, but I don't know. Water hazards are really cool, the rest of it is pretty average at best. Can't imagine an objective rating over 3 but will be interested to see what you think! Some of this is ultimately subjective.
I hustled through the shorts at lunch. I want to play the longs before I review it, but I think 2-2.5 sounds fair. Between the water and using what trees there are to protect against easy rhbh hyzers, I like the design. I think there's only so much you can do with that land. I don't have a max rating for 9ers, but I doubt I've given many 3+ ratings.

I don't really care about the lack of tee signs. Distances are there and it's easy to figure out the layout.

Played the longs at lunch today. I think it's a solid 2.5. Closer to a 3 than a 2 imo.

The prevailing wind plus all the water really keeps you on your toes. Then you've got most of the basket placements on mounds and exposed to the wind. Very few low pressure throws, which is really rare for a city park 9er. Safe design. I like it and I'm down 2 discs already.

Yeah I'm more and more convinced it deserves a 2.5 myself. No higher for me, but all your points are valid. It is certainly unique in some ways in this area.

Somehow I managed to not lose any discs, and I usually have some sort of performance anxiety around that much water. 🤣

Basketcase720l to PastorofMuppets:

Expose Jack Johnson GIF

Well, he was not wrong, just left a UDisc style review. when I clicked on it, first thing I saw was my review.

I still think it's one of the best/difficult Oklahoma courses

I haven't played it so I don't know. And I agree that it's a U-Disc type review. I just don't feel like it provided any new information not previously covered, didn't give justification for why it deserved 5 starts, and didn't help me decide if it's worth playing or not. Whereas your review highlighted WHY the course needs to be played in a much better way. No disrespect to the reviewer, but if something gets a 5 star, I'm intrigued and would like to know what makes it the absolute cream of the crop to you.

That is what separates DGCR from that other app. I do find it interesting, one course played, one review. That does have homer written all over it.

Basketcase720l to PastorofMuppets:

Expose Jack Johnson GIF
Not that he needs anyone to speak for him, but perhaps PastorofMuppets' response might be...

"Then don't do anything to earn it."

5 star courses aren't just around the corner from everyone. They can't be. By definition, they're quite exceptional (technically "Best of the Best").

No one says you need to write an essay, but
when something's truly that good, it shouldn't be hard to string together enough thoughts to support your claim that it's exceptional.

Not that he needs anyone to speak for him, but perhaps PastorofMuppets' response might be...

"Then don't do anything to earn it."

5 star courses aren't just around the corner from everyone. They can't be. By definition, they're quite exceptional (technically "Best of the Best").

No one says you need to write an essay, but
when something's truly that good, it shouldn't be hard to string together enough thoughts to support your claim that it's exceptional.
It was a GARBAGE review, I was just messing around. Rodney knows I was foolin' :)

No disrespect to the reviewer, but if something gets a 5 star, I'm intrigued and would like to know what makes it the absolute cream of the crop to you.
Couldn't agree more. Perhaps I'm unfair, but when someone throws a 5 out there, I feel like there needs to be enough substance to differentiate it from all the other really good courses.

The more extreme the claim, the more support is needed.

Yeah, that review told me nothing. I guess there's a dam hole that's pretty cool (he didn't say why). Probably hole 8.

That's the hole with the stick in it, be careful!

Yeah, that review told me nothing. I guess there's a dam hole that's pretty cool (he didn't say why). Probably hole 8.
I lost a Wraith on that Dam hole. It's a 1200+foot hole across the dam of the lake. I mean it has downhill to the lake on one side, and WAY down below the dam on the other side. it's about 20ft wide. The brush is super thick too, I lost my disc in the brush, not the lake.

I cut my rating to a 4.5 because of hole 18. So man things could have been done to avoid that super boring hole as your finishing hole. Shoot, hole 17 would have been better with a really really super long walk.

or have the course start on the other side and make the dam and spillway holes in the middle of the course.

Getting a little tired of these locals crying about an upgrade. I've played the 18 hole course and it's perfectly fine. Yes, it's way harder than before but it is 100% less boring than the first iteration.

Also, Old Town is literally 10 minutes away, is a shorter, more fun course that seems more catered to beginners/intermediate players and it's one of the coolest courses in the area/the land has a cool history behind it. Again, I don't understand this recent wave of bad reviews where their only complaint is that the course is wayyyy too hard now -.-

Edit: Shoutouts to DFrah who gave literally the only accurate and fair review of the redesign of the course. 3.5 is the true rating of this course.

Last edited:

Latest posts