• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

JMacK really loves him some JMacK.

These are a prime example of course designer bias.
No wonder he doesn't seem to like me! Yes, talk about inflating the ratings on some pretty mediocre to average courses.

I suppose it may have been the line in my Beaches review that said something like "this seems like a course that shouldn't exist" :ROFLMAO:

JMacK also renamed this course, switched it to 72 holes, sent me some nonsensical PMs about my review on the course, etc. I reported him and got a reply that his account was being removed.
I'd also argue all three of their down votes for EricV's review should be removed. His is the only objective review of the course.

I thought someone might have posted about this one.

I think most everyone that posts here clicked "like" on my review already. This is a classic example of "Homer" reviews, although the posters "claim" to be "traveling though"

When I read the reviews and saw the 4.25 rating for this little small town course, I had to make the post I did.

I've got a few designed by myself course reviews on here. I wasn't sure what the protocol or good faith unwritten rules were for reviewing it, so I kinda made my own and tried to stick to it. I simply rated it a 3.0 (and explained in the review that I'd simply rate it good and allow other reviewers to take the reigns from there on whether or not it was better or worse). And I didn't "review" the course as much as explain the holes, the purpose of the design, and the target group of skill levels it was designed for. Normally I would just not even review a course I designed, but most times the courses aren't listed on here at the time, or they have no reviews. And I want to make people aware they exist and give them an idea of what to expect before they make plans to bag it. I guess it could be argued that I shouldn't give them a 3 rating, but I struggled with trying to find a better way to add the review and give it a preliminary rating without arbitrarily propping up, or holding down, the overall rating. Not sure if any of you fellow course baggers feel differently about how I should handle those reviews/ratings, but I certainly don't try and make "homer" reviews. So it makes me cringe when a designer drops 5-6 lines and a 5 star review of their own course.

I've got a few designed by myself course reviews on here. I wasn't sure what the protocol or good faith unwritten rules were for reviewing it, so I kinda made my own and tried to stick to it. I simply rated it a 3.0 (and explained in the review that I'd simply rate it good and allow other reviewers to take the reigns from there on whether or not it was better or worse). And I didn't "review" the course as much as explain the holes, the purpose of the design, and the target group of skill levels it was designed for. Normally I would just not even review a course I designed, but most times the courses aren't listed on here at the time, or they have no reviews. And I want to make people aware they exist and give them an idea of what to expect before they make plans to bag it. I guess it could be argued that I shouldn't give them a 3 rating, but I struggled with trying to find a better way to add the review and give it a preliminary rating without arbitrarily propping up, or holding down, the overall rating. Not sure if any of you fellow course baggers feel differently about how I should handle those reviews/ratings, but I certainly don't try and make "homer" reviews. So it makes me cringe when a designer drops 5-6 lines and a 5 star review of their own course.

I personally think it would be fine to review a course you designed. I have read some, where you learn a significant amount of information from the designers review. What is important to me personally, is it stating the review that you are the designer, so that I can be aware of that coming into the course. I would say, from what I have seen some designers seem to struggle to separate how they feel about the course (who it was designed for, what limitations had to be overcome, how well the available land was used, etc.) from their ratings. Though, I have also seen some where the designer have been more objective in their ratings.

I would say, if you truly think the course deserves higher than a 3.0 when comparing them to other courses you've played, operating under the assumption of similar course design limitations/struggles, I think it would be fine to give them a higher rating. Though I appreciate the idea of not wanting to under-deliver to players traveling to play.

I thought someone might have posted about this one.

I think most everyone that posts here clicked "like" on my review already. This is a classic example of "Homer" reviews, although the posters "claim" to be "traveling though"

When I read the reviews and saw the 4.25 rating for this little small town course, I had to make the post I did.

A couple of "1 Played / 1 Reviewed" contributors is usually a tipoff that a homer and a few of his buds are at it. And oh yeah: telling us the features of the nearby downtown? Maybe reviewing the course is a Chamber of Commerce project.

A couple of "1 Played / 1 Reviewed" contributors is usually a tipoff that a homer and a few of his buds are at it. And oh yeah: telling us the features of the nearby downtown? Maybe reviewing the course is a Chamber of Commerce project.
None of you lived through the Pendleton King ratings controversy from a decade ago. That was a fun couple of months.

Last edited:
Yea, that is what tipped me off too.

Funny though, when I go back and read my review, I just happened to read the sign for the RV park and at least I gave more information about staying here :p

I don't like giving "thumb downs" but if a review gives a strong rating and only a few dozen words, it's earned a thumb down from me.

Two examples in the last 12 hours.

Sigh. We're not that other site.

I don't like giving "thumb downs" but if a review gives a strong rating and only a few dozen words, it's earned a thumb down from me.

Especially when one is from the course designer. Figure he'd have more to say about his own place than that.

Indeed. Makes me want to write a review now even though I only played it once a year and a half ago.

All three "reviews" are first-time reviews. 🙄

I kinda hate to say it, but...

I've become rather skeptical of 1st time reviewers, especially when the rating is 4.0+, there's not much to the review, and courses played are low.

When a course is excellent, you should be able to tell me what makes it excellent. I don't need to read a novel, nor do I want hole by hole descriptions. Just describe the disc golf.

If you can't, it probably isn't.
You're probably just happy someone put a course close to where you live, or excited to bag new course.

Kind of like commenting on specific examples and not linking them???

:oops:...................:unsure:.....................:giggle: