• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips on Accuracy

If you have any gap to the right at all with the pin straight ahead or any to the left, learn to throw hyzer through the gap. It is about the most consistent flight path you can ever have. This is where you pull your arm from low to high so that the inside of the disc (the part in your hand) is higher than the outside edge. It will fly from right to left. Not any change of messing it up to the right by turning it over when you do this.

What about problems with an early/late release?

It could be something as simple as your finger position. Not really a finger, your thumb. One the basic backhand release the disc is going to go in the direction of your thumb. If you put your thumb to the outside of the disc you are probably going to hyzer and if you move it closer to the middle you will throw it flatter or even anhyzer it.

Many things cause early/late releases. It could be a combination of everything I have posted today. Thumb position, disc weight, toe or head position on release. Get your local pro to watch you and ask him for his suggestions.

I find I'm most accurate when I visualize and aim for a box in the air about chest level and 30-50 feet away, which is about the place where my eye can snatch onto the disc after I release it and it visibly flattens out and travels away from me. At some point, it seems, I get too comfortable and I just start aiming at the basket or fairway spot I want to land on and visualizing the bounce out or skip out that I want. It hits for awhile, but then I lose accuracy pretty soon and I can't get it back until I start aiming for the box in the air again. Lately, I am trying to turn that visualization of the desired bounce out into a selection of where I want the box in thair to be to get that bounce out. We'll see how that goes, I guess.

I am not a bowler, but my understanding is that bowlers use the little triangle/arrows that are about 15' down the lane that are used for alignment/targets. Good bowlers focus on hitting those at the right angle and spin.....and then everything else takes care of itself as the ball goes further down the lane. I, on the other hand aim for the pins.....and my scores are never too good. :D

Same deal in visualizing how to throw down a tight fairway. Pick a point about 1/5th of the way to your perfect landing zone, chose the line you want to hit (disc choice and throwing angles) and execute.

Of course, until you can consistently execute (muscle memory that takes at least 1 year to develop), you will still be off target a lot. But getting an line-up/approach/run-up and a aiming philosophy down and sticking with that will speed up the process of getting better.

Edited: jhasdisc is basically making the same point/suggestion - beat me to it.

Last edited:
Late release is one of my issues and I feel it is directly related to my level of muscle tension. When I'm relaxed, I seldom mistime my release. Chris, feel free to provide feedback regarding late releases.

I find I'm most accurate when I visualize and aim for a box in the air about chest level and 30-50 feet away, which is about the place where my eye can snatch onto the disc after I release it and it visibly flattens out and travels away from me. At some point, it seems, I get too comfortable and I just start aiming at the basket or fairway spot I want to land on and visualizing the bounce out or skip out that I want. It hits for awhile, but then I lose accuracy pretty soon and I can't get it back until I start aiming for the box in the air again. Lately, I am trying to turn that visualization of the desired bounce out into a selection of where I want the box in thair to be to get that bounce out. We'll see how that goes, I guess.

I think of this as the blind guy who used to ski at 65mph. He was born with an eyesight deficiency and could only see about 5 feet in front of him. It was perfect for skiing. When he finally got an operation and got his eyesight restored he was too afraid to ski fast anymore because he could see all of the dangers ahead.

I often play disc golf the same way. I can get myself into a focus where I aim my putts at a spot about 10 feet away very similar to how a ball golfer aims hit putt at the break. I do the same thing with drives so that i'm focusing on my disc being at a height and angle that is 30ft away. If you are able to do this in the woods it can have great results.

As for dealing with those challenging tree tunnels, I noticed that Ken Climo recommends throwing hard and low, erring if at all on the side of the tunnel that will let your disc spin provide a bounce out into the clear part of the tunnel (i.e., closer to right side of tree line for RHBH). Throwing low is to minimize chances of going deep in the woods before the bounce out can occur. Throwing hard is to reap the benefits of actually making it through, when it happens.

As for dealing with those challenging tree tunnels, I noticed that Ken Climo recommends throwing hard and low, erring if at all on the side of the tunnel that will let your disc spin provide a bounce out into the clear part of the tunnel (i.e., closer to right side of tree line for RHBH). Throwing low is to minimize chances of going deep in the woods before the bounce out can occur. Throwing hard is to reap the benefits of actually making it through, when it happens.

This is exactly the problem that really frustrates me. Ricocheting off trees deep into the woods is a killer. I have started trying to keep my throws low, but the missing on the correct side of the fairway is a challenge. It seems like once I starting hitting trees, it just snowballs from there. I believe part of it is my frustration level rising that magnifies the problem.:doh:

don't try to throw hard. Throw 80% from a standstill and make sure you complete your follow through. Spin the disc instead of trying to impart max velocity. Its remarkable how far a disc thrown at 80% with lots of spin will fly. Throwing easier makes hitting the lines easier. Oh and throw flat

Often in tournaments holes that are tight usually have backups. When the groups are moving along I often throw a slightly less stable disc easier with touch down the alley. Over the years I have learned that when I get to one of these holes and there is a backup I lose my touch and get into more trouble. I get better results by throwing a more stable disc harder. I guess Kenny is right again.

Often in tournaments holes that are tight usually have backups. When the groups are moving along I often throw a slightly less stable disc easier with touch down the alley. Over the years I have learned that when I get to one of these holes and there is a backup I lose my touch and get into more trouble. I get better results by throwing a more stable disc harder. I guess Kenny is right again.

Interesting. Would you say you might play a hole differently in a tournament over the same hole in a casual round due to pressure/being pressed?

I rarely play casual rounds but if I did i'm sure I would be moving along at a good pace and would probably smooth a less stable disc down the fairway. Backups can really disrupt your flow if you are playing with touch.

Geometry and physics.

I have a BS in Physics, but it's worth BS when it comes to executing the throws.

rowdyray said:
This is exactly the problem that really frustrates me. Ricocheting off trees deep into the woods is a killer. I have started trying to keep my throws low, but the missing on the correct side of the fairway is a challenge. It seems like once I starting hitting trees, it just snowballs from there. I believe part of it is my frustration level rising that magnifies the problem.

I know what you mean. When I'm struggling with ricochets, I sometimes pull out a soft putter and use it for awhile. It's hard to bounce far into the woods with a soft magnet or the like, and it can fly pretty far. It just doesn't turn well at all, which makes a long, curved tree tunnel really daunting.

try to keep your technique smooth and fluid, nothing fast except that final snap. don't get "herky-jerky" as some pro said once in a video i saw one time.

for me, i've ditched the walk-up/x-step and shortened it to one step. i stand with my back to the "target", right foot ahead of left foot, head turned over my shoulder to keep my eye on the "target" as i step "back"(toward the target) pulling and turning drawing the disc close to my chest and releasing toward the target with a smooth follow through.
with the walk up, i was having trouble not only with lateral accuracy, but keeping the nose down as well.
for tight fairways, less stable discs have always been much more friendly to me.